PDA

View Full Version : moving water beneficial or not to discus?

john2gs
07-30-2005, 12:26 PM
Hello bros/sis,

I am just wondering if powerheads/spraybars are beneficial to discus?

or will this just stress them out?

With arowanas, powerheads are beneficial since they (especially babies) tend to become more active in swimming, thus metabolism increases.........and their appetite becomes bigger. They usually go against and swim towards the powerhead. In addition, their swimming form is enhanced.

I am a newbie w/ discus....and need to know your opinions.

thanks!

brewmaster15
07-30-2005, 12:30 PM
Hi John,
The spray bars probably won't harm them any, the powerheads are not necessary. Most people with discus wind up using hang on the back filters like aquaclear 500's and hydro or other air driven sponge filters. Cannisters are fine but can be risky if the power goes out! Try to get good aeration..not necessarily agitation :D

-al

ps.. welcome to SimplyDiscus and to the hobby!! :)

john2gs
07-30-2005, 12:36 PM
Hi John,
The spray bars probably won't harm them any, the powerheads are not necessary. Most people with discus wind up using hang on the back filters like aquaclear 500's and hydro or other air driven sponge filters. Cannisters are fine but can be risky if the power goes out! Try to get good aeration..not necessarily agitation :D

-al

ps.. welcome to SimplyDiscus and to the hobby!! :)

thanks for the warm welcome Al.

Actually Henry from boston, is the one who told me about this site.

Both of us are avid fans of arowanas ...and he told me about discus. Now I am also addicted to discus..hehehe!

I used to have a couple of emperor 400s....but i ended up selling them, since the back scales of my aro tend to hit the intakes most of the time...scraping the beautiful scales :(

Thats why I went with canisters......since the intakes can be positioned on the very corner of the tanks.........which will avoid any scrapings :)

ohhh about the canisters....yeah, I connected 2 of them into a UPS..which will run them for about 3-4 hours..during black-outs :) Then after that, I can just manually pump air in them.......if the black out lasts more than that...hehehehe

so powerheads.......are not necessary for discus, huh? Cuz even my small ray.....loves swimming against the flow...hehehe! I guess..i should turn it off....before it stresses my discus...hehehe!

thanks for the advice!

Carol_Roberts
07-30-2005, 03:49 PM
Don't need the powerhead, but you don't have to remove it as long as it's only on one end and the discus have a quiet place at the other end

ValorG
07-31-2005, 12:05 AM
thanks for the warm welcome Al.

Actually Henry from boston, is the one who told me about this site.

Both of us are avid fans of arowanas ...and he told me about discus. Now I am also addicted to discus..hehehe!

I used to have a couple of emperor 400s....but i ended up selling them, since the back scales of my aro tend to hit the intakes most of the time...scraping the beautiful scales :(

Thats why I went with canisters......since the intakes can be positioned on the very corner of the tanks.........which will avoid any scrapings :)

ohhh about the canisters....yeah, I connected 2 of them into a UPS..which will run them for about 3-4 hours..during black-outs :) Then after that, I can just manually pump air in them.......if the black out lasts more than that...hehehehe

so powerheads.......are not necessary for discus, huh? Cuz even my small ray.....loves swimming against the flow...hehehe! I guess..i should turn it off....before it stresses my discus...hehehe!

thanks for the advice!

Hey John!!! remember me from arofanatics? its great that u like discus too cuz i love them also. now i have another bud in ny who likes discus.

john2gs
07-31-2005, 06:02 AM
Hey John!!! remember me from arofanatics? its great that u like discus too cuz i love them also. now i have another bud in ny who likes discus.

hey....of course I remember you! You were the first guy who mentioned to me about GLD. I checked that website, and the discus were nice. Then my friend Henry confirmed that its really a reputable shop. hehehe!

Damn dude...i think i got the discus bug now. I cant believe i bought 10 of them....hahahaha!

you still active at AF?

ValorG
07-31-2005, 04:29 PM
hey....of course I remember you! You were the first guy who mentioned to me about GLD. I checked that website, and the discus were nice. Then my friend Henry confirmed that its really a reputable shop. hehehe!

Damn dude...i think i got the discus bug now. I cant believe i bought 10 of them....hahahaha!

you still active at AF?
yah i still go on it at least 3 times a week, doesnt mean i post anything anymore though. mainly just readin what other people are saying now.

Willie
07-31-2005, 06:53 PM
I run multiple powerheads in my 75's. The discus love it.

Willie

Cosmo
07-31-2005, 09:56 PM
I used to run powerheads at each end of the tank, Discus didn't seem to mind so long as they weren't overly powerful powerheads. If they're too strong for the size tank, the Discus hate em (they've told me so lol)

Like Al said, what you want is aeration.. powerheads are good for aeration if pointed up to agitate the surface, but airstones will do the same without creating the turbulence that Discus dislike.

I run cannisters as well, and output them all thru spraybars. This breaks the one strong water jet into numerous smaller jets that make for a more quiet environment, and if positioned correctly, will agitate the surface like a powerhead.

I stopped using powerheads years ago, and my fish seem to be much happier with the more gentle streams of water the airstones and spraybars create.

IME

Jim

PS. If you're talking about computer style UPS's, they won't fun your filters nearly as long as they should in theory.. they aren't wired for motor loads. I tried it, and when the power went out the cannisters made funny noises and the UPS's died shortly thereafter..

john2gs
07-31-2005, 10:21 PM
I run multiple powerheads in my 75's. The discus love it.

Willie

Hi willie,

I run two powerheads as well. One on the left surface (250gph) ....and the one on the right bottom (400 gph).

My tank is 125.

I run the 400 gph......on the right side....so all the dirt and poops collected on the bottom of the tank....will be pushed on the left side...where the intake of one of my mechanical filter (1 canister).....is placed.

All of the discus....are on that corner....and they swim once in a while on the other end as well. I am not sure...if they are stressed out or not though :)

john2gs
07-31-2005, 10:26 PM
Jim

PS. If you're talking about computer style UPS's, they won't fun your filters nearly as long as they should in theory.. they aren't wired for motor loads. I tried it, and when the power went out the cannisters made funny noises and the UPS's died shortly thereafter..

Hi Jim,

I tested my UPS 2 months ago...where 2 of my canisters (25 watts each) are connected to, as well as 1 air pump (2 watts). I let it run for 1.5 hours, and no problems seem to occur...then I stopped and let it run w/ normal electricity once again.

I havent tried to let it run for 3 hours though....hopefully it will last that long...and I'll be home when the UPS runs out of battery charge..hehehe.

Anyways, I am not sure if the UPS will really mind just running 52 watts of power...since it can handle up to 705 watts max. Running motors of the canisters.....I really dont know, if the UPS is compatible or not. But when I tested mine,....it sure did what it supposed to do.

shyvtguy
08-01-2005, 12:08 AM
Hey John2gs and ValorG,

It's a small world after all. ;) It's good to know that im not the only one that fell in love with discus from AF. I've got 7 discus and 5 aros now but im planning on getting rid of the aros to get more discus. I've been debating whether or not to keep one silver with the discus. I dunno if its gonna work long term. You guys have any pics of your discus with aros?

john2gs
08-01-2005, 12:31 AM
Hey John2gs and ValorG,

It's a small world after all. ;) It's good to know that im not the only one that fell in love with discus from AF. I've got 7 discus and 5 aros now but im planning on getting rid of the aros to get more discus. I've been debating whether or not to keep one silver with the discus. I dunno if its gonna work long term. You guys have any pics of your discus with aros?

hey bro! how are you?

I love aros!!! hehehehe!

but these discus are addicting too! hahaha! I started w/ 5...now I have 10...hehehe! I am still planning to get 2 more (probably 1 marlboro red and 1 melon red).....then Im done!!! They are just sooo fascinating ;)

In my current set-up, I have 1 baby silver aro, 1 baby ray, and 10 baby discus. Im hoping that they all will have no problems in the future...since they grew up together...plus all of them are docile.

With silver aros, you dont have to worry about aggression, since they are peaceful fish...unlike asian or australian arowanas.

If you check ValorG's gallery at AF, you will see his set-up. He already have 1 big silver....w/ some nice big discus too in one tank :)

ValorG
08-01-2005, 12:38 AM
Hey John2gs and ValorG,

hey dude!! geez yah it is a small world, well anywayz as long as u grow ur aro up from a baby with discus, he will treat them very well and swim as if they werent even there. I was actually into discus way before aros. lol but yah like john sed i have pics of my black with discus in af but i think uv seen them already.

ValorG
08-01-2005, 12:40 AM
hey bro! how are you?

I love aros!!! hehehehe!

but these discus are addicting too! hahaha! I started w/ 5...now I have 10...hehehe! I am still planning to get 2 more (probably 1 marlboro red and 1 melon red).....then Im done!!! They are just sooo fascinating ;)

In my current set-up, I have 1 baby silver aro, 1 baby ray, and 10 baby discus. Im hoping that they all will have no problems in the future...since they grew up together...plus all of them are docile.

With silver aros, you dont have to worry about aggression, since they are peaceful fish...unlike asian or australian arowanas.

If you check ValorG's gallery at AF, you will see his set-up. He already have 1 big silver....w/ some nice big discus too in one tank :)
Hey dude, I have 7 baby marlboro reds 2-2.5 inches. iono if i want to sell or not yet cuz id like to grow them out a lil more but if u interested let me know, maybe we can talk something out.

john2gs
08-01-2005, 12:47 AM
Hey dude, I have 7 baby marlboro reds 2-2.5 inches. iono if i want to sell or not yet cuz id like to grow them out a lil more but if u interested let me know, maybe we can talk something out.

you got pm bro

shyvtguy
08-01-2005, 01:13 AM
Ok guys tell me what you think. I've got 4 baby silvers, 1 baby jardini, and 7 discus(assorted sizes 2.5"-6") in a 6x2x2 with an eheim 2260. I have a few questions. I will be getting rid of the jardini.

1. I have heard 1 aro with many discus but i have never heard or seen several aros with several discus. Will 4 silvers with a bunch of discus work?

2. Bioload. Is this gonna be to much on my filter if I have 4 silvers and say 12 discus? Will I need another filter in addition my 2260?

3. I've heard that it's best to keep aro in a tank w/ gravel to prevent dropeye. I've also been told that young discus do better in a tank without gravel. Should I take the gravel out of my tank.

4. Water changes. With aros i only did wc once or twice a week. For discus i've been told to change 50% daily. I noticed my aros didn't like this. what you guys do?

Thanks for any input. its good to hear from you guys again.

ValorG
08-01-2005, 02:03 AM
Ok guys tell me what you think. I've got 4 baby silvers, 1 baby jardini, and 7 discus(assorted sizes 2.5"-6") in a 6x2x2 with an eheim 2260. I have a few questions. I will be getting rid of the jardini.

1. I have heard 1 aro with many discus but i have never heard or seen several aros with several discus. Will 4 silvers with a bunch of discus work?

2. Bioload. Is this gonna be to much on my filter if I have 4 silvers and say 12 discus? Will I need another filter in addition my 2260?

3. I've heard that it's best to keep aro in a tank w/ gravel to prevent dropeye. I've also been told that young discus do better in a tank without gravel. Should I take the gravel out of my tank.

4. Water changes. With aros i only did wc once or twice a week. For discus i've been told to change 50% daily. I noticed my aros didn't like this. what you guys do?

well ive basically experience most of everything ur asking about cept the multiple aros. If you can get a 4 silver aro com then the discus should go in nicely. Yah u will have to do a good amount of water changes to keep that up and definitely another filter. Basically im guessing ur gonna use ur tank as a show tank right? If so then id think that ud keep the gravel, grow the discus in a barebottom tank then put them in when they are big enough. For water changes, Ive been doing 1 water change a week in my show tank for years now and all have been fine. Of course doing daily water changes is better but if u dont that doesnt mean that ur discus will die. They just wont grow as fast or as big but they can get to a pretty good size still. I still basically do daily water changes in my baby tank so that i could feed them as much as they can eat everyday without worrying about ammonia cuz i know ill be sucking all the left overs later.

john2gs
08-01-2005, 06:01 AM

1.) again, silvers are docile creatures..........and if they grew together w/ the discus....almost 95% they will be ok. The 4 silvers may have a chance of fighting amongst themselves (to have an alpha male), but i dont think that they will be bothering the discus.

2.) Your 2260 will be able to handle the bio-load, while the 4 silvers and 12 discus are young (also really depends on the amount of feeding you provide). But once those 4 silvers grow bigger......you will be needing another 2260. The bigger the fish, more urine and poop they produce...hehehe! Currently, w/ my 125 gallon and 12 fish, I alrady have 3 x 2028....and do 50% wc weekly.

3.) Silver aros got the most chances of drop eye...compared to asian and australian. Genetic plays a big role....and you really can't stop that. About 50% of silver will get DE. If you are lucky and your aros belong to the other 50%, then they will not get DE even if your tank has gravel or dont have any. You should also consider the diet (too much fat), and the position of your tank (too high). Some say that too much fat diet will cause DE, as well as tank being too high (aro looking down at most moving objects).
If you really don't care about the gravel, and since you are a newbie with discus. You might as well just remove the gravel, so you can thoroughly clean your tank easier......and your young discus will not experience accumulation of dirt on those gravels.

4.) Most discus hobbyist use Hang On Back filters and sometimes sponge filters. Most Hang on Back filters doesnt have much space to put bio-media...compared to canisters. Thats why if i believe ammonia and nitrates are still present since those HOBs cant house that much of BBs.....compared to canisters. Thus, they really have to do 50% wc daily or sometimes twice a day (especially for baby discus). Eheim 2260 can handle tons of bio-media....compared to a regular aquaclear or emperor 400. If you do 50% wc twice a week, your discus will be ok............but make sure your nitrates are not soaring though!!!

Alot of people and freshwater stingray stated that w/ rays, a sensitive fish too, should have 50% daily. My ray has been with me for almost 4 months now, and he is very healthy and eating like a pig.....and didnt mind only having 50% wc weekly.

As what bro ValorG stated, doing 50% wc everyday will be better for discus....since they will grow faster and will be healthier ......... but for me, you dont need to do it everyday if your water parameters are perfect and your silvers are annoyed by it. Its really tough to have different fish in 1 tank, since their requirements might be slightly different.

Discus experts....pls correct me w/ some statements, if i said something wrong. I need to learn more w/ discus too :)

shyvtguy
08-01-2005, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I'll keep you guys updated.