PDA

View Full Version : First-time spawners. Have a few questions

stygian7
08-02-2005, 12:16 AM
I've been away from this board for quite a while, but recent circumstances have prompted my return.

I'm away from home right now, but my girlfriend has informed me that a couple of our discus paired up and layed eggs on the glass. They are in a community tank, so she set up a partition to give the parents a break. Although it's likely that they aren't fertilized or something else will go wrong for these first timers, I figure I'll ask my questions anyway.

Is there anyway to move them to a breeder tank after hatching, or are they pretty much always stuck to the parents? I immagine netting the parent with babies feeding would injure or kill most of the little ones.

As far as supplemental feeding goes, is the BBS imperative at day 3 or is this just to give the parents some breathing room? I won't be back for another 2 weeks and hate to drop this burden on my girlfriend.

Is it a good idea to be using meth. blue to prevent fungus on the eggs? If so, what concentration is advised and for how long?

I was incredibly suprised at this news; they haven't even been getting their water changed enough for me to feel good about it. If all goes well, Cary's fish will be grandparents again...otherwise, we'll probably try again. I wish I could be there to see it.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin McPherson

stygian7
08-04-2005, 11:57 PM
doing a great job. I'll be moving them to a 29 gal. when I get back. In the meantime, I've instructed my girlfriend to start BBS on day 5 if she can.

Carol_Roberts
08-06-2005, 01:09 AM
Day 7 should be fine for bbs - does your GF know how to hatch them? If the parents and babies are still in the community tank, the other tank mates will most likely eat them. Move the pair when you get back - they will spawn again.

ShinShin
08-06-2005, 06:00 PM
The parents and fry can be moved according to literature I have read. I've never done it personally. The fry can be syphoned into a shallow bowl first, using standard airline tubing. Then net the parents into the new tank with about 50-60% filled with original tank water. Gently spill fry out of the bowl and into the tank with the breeders. Fill tank with fresh water as like doing a water change.

Good luck if you try it. Post back if you try it and what your results were.

Mat

stygian7
08-17-2005, 03:22 AM
Getting big now (about the size of a pencil eraser) and eating BBS. I think it's time to remove the parents and let them be on their own. What else to feed besides BBS and soon CBW? Can I just go to Hikari Frozen Bloodworms and Flakes in addition to the BS and CBW, and J.W. Discus Formula like I feed the rest, or is there something else important to feed the juvies?

Should I be making Beefheart? When are they big enough to try beefheart or to switch to regular BS?

I've never had any luck with Colorbits, so none of my fish eat them.

Thanks again,
Kevin

stygian7
08-17-2005, 03:24 AM
The parents and fry can be moved according to literature I have read. I've never done it personally. The fry can be syphoned into a shallow bowl first, using standard airline tubing. Then net the parents into the new tank with about 50-60% filled with original tank water. Gently spill fry out of the bowl and into the tank with the breeders. Fill tank with fresh water as like doing a water change.

Good luck if you try it. Post back if you try it and what your results were.

Mat

I used a turkey baster with a very wide opening to pick up the fry. They were too big for airline tubing by the time I returned. Worked just fine; I picked up a few at a time. The parents were pretty upset, but got over it after I moved them too.