PDA

View Full Version : Treating 3 week old fry.

troyclark
08-05-2005, 02:42 PM
Hello all, I was just wondering what you more experienced people use for gill flukes on young fry. I have 75-100 three week old fry that I have removed from their parents and put into a 55 gallon bare bottom. I have one hydro 4 sponge filter and keep the temp at 84 degrees. I do a 75% water change daily and feed BBS, crushed tetra bits, and a litte shredded beefheart. The meds I have on hand are quick cure, parasite clear, and Potassium Permanganate. I could get something else if you all think its better than what I have. Thanks for looking.

Giniel
08-05-2005, 10:52 PM
I use quick cure on all my fry.Just make sure you have a lot of oxygen in the tank too.
Debbie

Carol_Roberts
08-06-2005, 12:31 AM
Cull the fry down to your best 50 and do two water changes per day. Lots of fresh water keeps the flukes at bay. A 55 gallon will not hold 50 fry for very long . . . if you do not have a ready market for the fry you will need to cull several every week.

troyclark
08-06-2005, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Debbie, I started with the quick cure this evening. I put an additional sponge filter in there so I hope that helps with the oxygen. Thanks for the input.

Carol, they still all look the same to me and they swim faster that I can look LOL. I have two or three more 55 gallon tanks I can use for growout so room shouldn't be a problem. I don't see any obvious runts, deformities, or anything like that yet. Of course I am really new at this and the thought of culling what has taken me so long to get seems pretty bad. I know they will have to be culled eventually but even when I was raising angels I would have a seperate 55 gallon tank for the "special needs fish". I just take care of them and let them live their lives as normal as possible.

Thanks for the input you two. Goodnight.