PDA

View Full Version : Switchover to 90 gallon

traco
08-05-2005, 06:08 PM
I'm moving my 10 juvenile discus over to my brand new 90 this weekend :D :D :D :D I will clean out the new tank with just water and wipe down with clean towels?

Everything else is just moving from one tank to the other (filters, etc...) I'll be doing my water change that day, probably Sunday, and will save about 2/3 of the existing water and then top up the 90 with new.

Should I be concerned about stress and add some salt? Anything else I could do to make this a smooth transition for the fish? I don't think I should have a problem with ammonia/nitrite/nitrate, right? Right now, all parameters are fine.

I'll take before and after pictures and will post.

Thanks, all.

Barb

ValorG
08-05-2005, 08:29 PM
I'm moving my 10 juvenile discus over to my brand new 90 this weekend :D :D :D :D I will clean out the new tank with just water and wipe down with clean towels?

Everything else is just moving from one tank to the other (filters, etc...) I'll be doing my water change that day, probably Sunday, and will save about 2/3 of the existing water and then top up the 90 with new.

Should I be concerned about stress and add some salt? Anything else I could do to make this a smooth transition for the fish? I don't think I should have a problem with ammonia/nitrite/nitrate, right? Right now, all parameters are fine.

Thanks, all.

Barb
well after u wipe ur tank out with water there is no need for u to dry it. should be fine with what u told me ur going to do. adding salt wont hurt either.

Willie
08-05-2005, 09:01 PM
There's no reason to save and move dirty water from the old tank to the new tank. Fill it with fresh water, drop in the old filter and you're ready to go. If the tank is brand new, then a wipe down with a wet paper towel is all you need.

I don't agree with adding salt.

Willie

john2gs
08-05-2005, 09:03 PM

Thanks, all.

Barb

you should be fine :)

Greg Richardson
08-05-2005, 09:48 PM
I agree with Willie. Your new tank put in new water just like you were doing a WC in the old one. Same temp and PH like you do with old tank and you good to go.
No salt. They going to be happy not sad about more room!
Congrats!

traco
08-05-2005, 10:03 PM
I guess I still had in my mind the cycling aspect. Forgetting that my filters and sponges are all cycled so just adding fresh water would be fine! :p

I'm looking forward to them having more room; can't wait.

Thanks for the replies.

Barb

Cosmo
08-05-2005, 11:17 PM
I'll third Willies advise :) Your babies are going to love the added room. Just make sure the filters you're moving over are large enough to accommodate the bio load down the road as the fish grow and you add new ones.

Jim

Carol_Roberts
08-06-2005, 12:28 AM
Fill the new tank with warm (84F)water, add dechlor, then the heater and filter. Don't move the fish for a couple of hours(put an airstone in their tank for O2). By running the filters and heaters on the new tank for three hours you can make sure pH is stabilized and temp is correct. Have the new tank 84-86F. I agree with Willie - no need to add dirty water to your new tank.

ValorG
08-07-2005, 03:47 AM
I agree that changing all of the water in the tank would be better for ur fish IF u have the time and space to age and condition all that new water. i still stand with the keeping 2/3s water because u can put the discus in right away without waiting and u can do a water change the next day. also u can do a water change the day before u change all the water to make sure that the water ur using is still clean.

traco
08-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Well, it's done. :p :p Everything went smoothly and they look really happy in their spacious new home! The tank plus stand is higher now which made a difference when you sit and stare at them; way nicer! They were out a lot more after my big water change. Due to water change as this has been the biggest one I've done so far with them in the tank?

I did forget to plug in the heater but noticed it after a couple of hours and the temperature had not dropped too far!! Thank goodness I always do checks daily. The temperature was 86 this morning which is what I have been keeping them at.

The 250 watt does seem to be going a lot. Should I be looking at having 2 heaters in the tank?

I'll put some pictures up so you can all see.

Thanks,

Barb

Carol_Roberts
08-08-2005, 12:26 AM
Glad it went well. Yes, add another heater to the tank.

Bainbridge Mike
08-17-2005, 12:49 AM
Hi Barb:

The rule of thumb for heaters is 3 to 5 watts per gallon. If your average room temperature is fairly warm, you can stay at the low end (3 watts per gallon or about 270--300 watts). However, if you keep you tank in a cool basement like I do, 5 watts per gallon is better (so about 450 watts). If you have the extra dough, I would get two heaters approximately the same size (like two 200 watt heaters) and from asking around, folks around here like the Ebos or or the Hydors. Another option is to get a single titanium heater. I just got a won brothers 350 watt titanium heater with a digital thermometer for the 75 gal tank I keep in my basement, and I really like it so far. Have fun with your new tank!

Mike