PDA

View Full Version : Introduce myself + new discus

ramona
08-07-2005, 02:44 PM
Hi Everyone, am new to the group and want to say hello and show a pic of my new buddies. Sorry for the quality but getting even this one marginally in focus took about 20 discards, they won't hold still! Got a great deal at my local lfs - buy one get one free, and they actually had decent looking discus too! So picked the 2 biggest ones, blue is about 3 inches and red turq about 3&1/2. They are eating like pigs and hope they add on a little size. No one at the shop knew anything about them so I don't know how old they are. Have been reading this forum for about a year to prepare for this, so looked at eyes, shape, asked to see them eat, etc, still kinda guessing tho. Also the display tank at the lfs was labeled with blue panda, blue diamond and cobalt blue. No one knew what my blue one was. Red turq was pretty obvious. You can't see it well in the pick but the solid blue does have some red in the fins so I'm guessing blue diamond?
This forum is awesome, thank you all for your time and wisdom, would never have dared this without your help.

Tank is a 36 gallon hex, (no room for bigger ) well cycled, bare bottom, penguin bio-wheel filter, do have a peice of driftwood with java fern and an anuba growing on it. Am feeding blood worm right now and vacuuming out/exchanging 10 gallons/day. No tank mates but have a bristlenose waiting in quarantine...
Please wish me luck!

Barb Newell
08-07-2005, 02:54 PM
Hi ramona :wave: , welcome to Simply Discus!!! Sounds like you're doing a good job with your fish.

Barb :)

Robin764
08-07-2005, 04:32 PM
Good luck and welcome to the insanity!

Robin

Carol_Roberts
08-08-2005, 12:21 AM
Hi Ramona, welcome to simply discus :wave:
You have a red turk and a cobalt :)

chris allsop
08-08-2005, 06:35 AM
they look in good condition to.

Condor
08-08-2005, 08:02 AM
Welcome Ramona!! :) Good looking fish.

Adrian

ramona
08-08-2005, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the ID, Carol. I thought cobalts were the solid ones. I remember a great thread where members had posted pics of different discus varieties, looks like the pics are gone now, too bad.
Guess I could resort to buying a book, but it seems like new names and strains pop up faster than books are printed.

mench
08-08-2005, 09:17 AM
Welcome..your fish are looking good...keep us posted

Mench

shyvtguy
08-16-2005, 12:43 AM
Welcome ramona. Nice turks... :) Im new to discus too. There's a problem with raising them. You keep on wanting more of them

ramona
08-17-2005, 01:02 PM
haha. I have that problem too, compounded by a husband who thinks we should have FURNITURE in the house instead of FISH TANKS! imagine that.
crazy, I know.

diskboy
08-26-2005, 05:04 PM
hope you can breed them :D

wolfbane
08-27-2005, 12:32 AM
Welcome Ramona! Hey, my husband calls my big 150 gal tank our private baptismal tank. But he admits it looks great in our living room.

dixiedog
08-31-2005, 12:21 PM
I like that red turquoise ...

Gene

ppv1951
09-08-2005, 12:13 PM
hubby thinks you ought to have furniture in the house??? what's WRONG with that man? welcome to simplyD. there's a lot of very knowledgable people here and a lot of good info. i have a ball here.

pat.

JimmyL
09-08-2005, 01:26 PM
If you paid the price of a turquoise. You've got a steal. Yours is called advance turquoise which is an outcast from a more expensive name like red diamond or maze. Anything not resembling to the above named is sold at a discount and very often you will find different looking fry if you breed them. The other one is a cobalt blue came from the same parents I guess. you can tell by the facial pattern similar to each others if they do come from the same parents. I cannot tell from the quality of the pic. The turquoise will turn into a very impressive looking fish.
Jimmy

sidra
09-08-2005, 01:56 PM
Fish tanks aren't furniture??? :confused: :D :p

I was considering getting rid of my computer armoir to make room for a bigger tank. LOL

ppv1951
10-02-2005, 08:08 PM
pssst! put the new tank in the armoire. no one will know.

pat.