PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Water Change System

fshngal
08-08-2005, 10:57 PM
Hi all,

Been real busy but am continuing to make improvements to our hatchery and now have a completely installed and running Automatic water change system.

Thank you John Nixon!!! Should anyone like to contact John, he may be reached at (215) 537-5433 for consultation or possible planning and installation. He does all types of systems and has 20+ years experience.

Here are some pics.

Short System Summary ---

The water comes from a 3.6cf carbon tank to filter out the chlorine. The ammonia left over from the chloramine mix is .02 and feeds the nitrifying bacteria in the sponge filters. From the carbon tank it is plumbed to a pressure valve to cut back the pressure then into the Sprinkler timer.

After the timer it is run into the main pvc water pipe loop that goes completely around the two discus rooms. The pvc piping is closed loop to maintain even pressure.(this is important) All pvc pipe joints are glued together.

There are water emitters installed in the pvc piping for all aquariums. The 150 gal tanks have at least 4 emitters per tank while the 75's have 3 for each tank. The 29 gal tanks each have one emitter. High grade airline was used for the water lines into the tanks. The emitters must be adjusted once the system is running for even water flow.

Mary

fshngal
08-08-2005, 10:58 PM
Another

ronrca
08-08-2005, 11:01 PM
Sweet! Its looking good. Keep updating plz. Can you also give an explanation on what the pics are and stuff. I love looking for good ideas to 'steal' for my own ever continuing fishroom automation upgrade.

Thanks

fshngal
08-08-2005, 11:04 PM
I'm trying to post more pics but it keeps kicking me back saying I've already posted them.

M

fshngal
08-08-2005, 11:05 PM
Another

fshngal
08-08-2005, 11:25 PM
Another

mench
08-09-2005, 07:19 AM
Mary,are all your tanks drilled or are you using overflows??? Is it a cold water drip....or heated?
thanks,
Mench

Elcid
08-09-2005, 10:26 AM
Hi Mary:

How are you? Ur fishroom is beginning to look like an ICU :D Keep up the good work!

take care,
Sandeep

fshngal
08-10-2005, 04:20 AM
Mench,

All tanks are drilled and the water comes through the commercial mixing valve at 86 degrees year round.

M

fshngal
08-10-2005, 04:23 AM
Hi Mary:

How are you? Ur fishroom is beginning to look like an ICU :D Keep up the good work!

take care,
Sandeep

Hi Sandeep,

Doing well thank you. The new shipment is looking great with the daily fresh water.

Hope all is well with you and family.

M

Fons_van_der_Hart
08-10-2005, 02:24 PM
Hi Mary,

Very very wise decision to install an Automatic Water Change System.
I'm using it for many years and it saves me an awfull lot of time day after day.

Besides that I'm in the comfortable situation of high quality tapwater which flows straight into the tanks.

Fons.

cousinkenni
08-10-2005, 04:55 PM
Hi Mary,

You mentioned that all the tanks are drilled.......Are they drilled on the bottom glass or towards the top of one of the sides? If they are drilled on the bottom, what type of valve is used on the drains to prevent the tank from completely draining? Also if they are drilled on the bottom, does this mean you no longer have to vacuum the tank bottoms?

Thanks,

Ken Takeuchi

fshngal
08-10-2005, 07:19 PM
Hi Fons. You the man. I new there was something that enabled you to have time for lots of other things.

Hope all is well,
Mary

fshngal
08-10-2005, 07:28 PM
Ken,

The majority of them are drilled close to the top. However, the 150's are drilled at the bottom. I used male copper fittings through the bottom holes and then a female hose barb under the tank to the drain and on the other to the wet/dry. There is a female pvc fitting and a standpipe on the inside of the tank that is cut to the water level.

Mary