PDA

View Full Version : anyone using CLORAM-x for their discus tank?

john2gs
08-09-2005, 11:10 PM
anyone using CLORAM-x for their discus tank?

feedbacks?

comments?

thanks!

RichieE
08-10-2005, 10:05 AM
Ive been useing it for about a month now at 1 teaspoon per 40 Gallons but you could certainly use more. It seems to be giving me a false positive for ammonia so make sure you use a test kit that measures free ammonia. If you buy it in bulk (Jemco has it) it's about the cheapest way to go. Rich

john2gs
08-10-2005, 10:42 AM
Ive been useing it for about a month now at 1 teaspoon per 40 Gallons but you could certainly use more. It seems to be giving me a false positive for ammonia so make sure you use a test kit that measures free ammonia. If you buy it in bulk (Jemco has it) it's about the cheapest way to go. Rich

thanks bro!

Mr. Limpet
08-10-2005, 12:10 PM
I have been using it for over 2 years now. I have used it exclusively with adults and fry and everything else. At $30 for 5 pounds, which makes the equivalent of 20 pint bottles of Amquel, which sell at the LFS for $8 to $10 each, It is very cost effective. Try it, you like it.
Paul.

Butch
08-10-2005, 12:13 PM
I tried it a couple of days. I talked to someone where it's produced, as
I was getting a brown scum line at top of aging barrel. He said to use
1/4 teaspoon per 10 gallons. I switched to that amount and continued
with the scum. I then washed out the barrels and started using Prime
with no scum now.
I have heard nothing but good about ChlorAmX. I must have something
in my tap water that come out of solution when I use it.

Bert :)

john2gs
08-10-2005, 01:38 PM
thanks for the feedbacks guys! :)

fshngal
08-10-2005, 07:33 PM
What type of water do you have? City with chloramines? or well?

Mary

john2gs
08-10-2005, 08:25 PM
What type of water do you have? City with chloramines? or well?

Mary

NYC water.....

im not sure if water is treated w/ both chlorine and chloramine......or just 1

but cloram x claims that it can remove both chlorine and chloramine, right?

deseyered
08-11-2005, 10:13 AM
One of the cichlid importers that I buy fish from uses it all hte time. He uses it because it is more cost effective. I even think he said one of the companies that creates a dechlorinator uses it in solution to sell at the pet stores. I'm pretty sure that it doesn't cover ammonia, nitrites and nitrates the way that Prime or Amquel Plus does.

john2gs
08-11-2005, 05:23 PM
I'm pretty sure that it doesn't cover ammonia, nitrites and nitrates the way that Prime or Amquel Plus does.

but thats the use of your beneficial bacterias/good filtration system, right? to eliminate ammonia and nitrites..........

depending on water conditioners such as prime or amquel plus......to eliminate ammonia and nitrite is not ideal....since its only short term solution.......unlike having a well-cycled tank.

Thanks for the info about your cichlid supplier bro. I guess...if he uses cloram x...it is really safe to use. My tank has a good filtration system....so Im not really worried about ammonia and nitrite.........Im worried about saving money :) And of course eliminating chlorine and chloramine :)