PDA

View Full Version : Aqua-Land Aquatic Society, Bristol CT

qieter
08-10-2005, 09:06 AM
Hi All,

I am calling out to people staying around the central part of Connecticut to check out Aqua-Land Aquatic Society (ALAS). ALAS, a member of Northeast Council of Aquarium Society (NEC), has been around for 30 years (since 1970’s) and that’s even older than me and some of us. I have been in Connecticut for 1 month and I just went to my first ALAS meeting yesterday. From my personal experience, the people at the club are very friendly and helpful. They are not exactly a young crowd, a lot or almost all of them have been keeping fish for more than 30 years but boy, they are among the most enthusiastic group of people I have ever seen and I believe that all of us can benefit from their wealth of experience. From what I saw yesterday, this great club is indeed struggling a little in terms of attracting new and younger people and thus the reason for my post. I hate to see an aquarium club with such a history and legacy went down just because it has difficulty attracting new enthusiastic members because I know for a fact that there are a lot of enthusiastic fish keepers in CT who can both learn something from the people at ALAS as well as share their experiences in the club. So if you are staying around the area, please do come to at least try out one of the meetings.

Don’t hesitate to contact me if you need directions or further information about the club as well. If I can answer your questions, I can at least direct you to someone from the club who can.

In summary, here are the club’s websites. Contacts and meeting details can be found at the website as well:

http://pages.cthome.net/vito/
http://aqualandtropical.org/

Meetings: 2nd Tuesday of every month
At BONNIE ACRES Community Center
Vance Drive
Bristol CT 06010

Coming From West:
I-84 East to Exit 31. Left off exit onto Route 229. Follow Route 229 to Route 6. Take right on Route 6 and an immediate left onto Hefbern Rd. Straight through Stop and take right onto Vance Rd. Follow Vance and take second left. You will now be on Vance Dr. Community Center is on your left. (Look for the flagpole)

Coming From East:
I-84 West to Exit 38. Follow Route 6 into Bristol (approx. 8 miles) and take right on Mix St. (Dunkin’ Donuts and Staples) Take first left onto Dorothy Rd. and third right onto Vance Rd. Take immediate right onto Vance Dr. and Community Center is on your left. (Look for the flagpole)

Thanx,

Vick.