PDA

View Full Version : discus growth

leeg
08-10-2005, 07:53 PM
I have 2 red melon discus babies about 1.5 inches wide, how fast do they grow into maturity? I currently feed them 3 times a day,tetra marinecolor flakes in the morning, brine shrimp/ bloodworms when i return from work, and tetra marine flakes again before I goto sleep.

john2gs
08-10-2005, 08:28 PM
I have 2 red melon discus babies about 1.5 inches wide, how fast do they grow into maturity? I currently feed them 3 times a day,tetra marinecolor flakes in the morning, brine shrimp/ bloodworms when i return from work, and tetra marine flakes again before I goto sleep.

with that size bro.......I believe you need to feed them w/ more frequency.

I feed mine smaller meals (that takes them about 4-5 minutes to consume)...5-7 times a day...for faster growth (spread thru-out the day)...

and they still act hungry all the time...hehehe!

alpine
08-10-2005, 09:37 PM
Leeg, I have heard a standart growth pattern should be close to an inch per month.
Are those the only two discus you have. They like to be in groups of at least five or six. that alone might hinder their growth.
Try adding an extra feeding with some protein, beefheart, hamburger ...
Good Luck,
roberto.

leeg
08-10-2005, 09:56 PM
Leeg, I have heard a standart growth pattern should be close to an inch per month.
Are those the only two discus you have. They like to be in groups of at least five or six. that alone might hinder their growth.
Try adding an extra feeding with some protein, beefheart, hamburger ...
Good Luck,
roberto.

hi alpine, I do have other discus but the problem is my larger discus is pounding them, so I temporairly set up a grow out tank. I will try to add another feeding schedule for them.

ppv1951
09-09-2005, 06:11 AM
good advice from john. 5-6 feedings per day is not too many. some feed more. smaller, more frequent feedings is best.

pat.

Eddie
09-09-2005, 06:50 AM
I'd add some beefheart to that diet as roberto suggested. That will put some size on them. ;)

Carol_Roberts
09-09-2005, 04:55 PM
Growth depends on age. They could be two months old and grow quickly over the next 8 months or twelve months old and hardly grow at all . . .

alpine
09-09-2005, 05:23 PM
carol,sorry. I do not understand your reply ????

roberto.

Carol_Roberts
09-11-2005, 09:59 PM
Older fish grow slower than younger fish. 3 month old fish may grow an inch per month, six month old fish usually don't grow an inch per month in length. 12 month old fish may not increase in length at all, but will grow wider ( fill out)