PDA

View Full Version : New to discus, please evaluate my plans

Bluetangclan
08-11-2005, 02:23 PM
Hello, I have been doing a SW reef for about 5 years now and frankly I have gotten bored with it, its self sufficient to the point of me only having to add Calcium and evap water and I like to tinker with things. I have two African cichlid tanks as well, a 65 and a 30 gal breeding tank, so I am not new with FW either.
I am looking to convert the 55 SW with a 20gal sump to a planted discus tank with driftwood. What is good filtration for me to get? I hear a variety of things about current in the tank so I am going to wing that and see what works best, although I have no intention of having the 1000+ gph I have going currently.
As for substrate, could I use peat just where I plan to put plants and gravel everywhere else?
As for tank mates I was thinking a small school of oto's, a bristlenose catfish, and possibly a small 2 or 3 fish school of German Blue Rams to go along with 3 or 4 discus. I am in no hurry for my fish to get big fast like so many people seem to be, which is odd to me since in SW the keyphrase is "patience before all else."
I am still in the research phase and probably will be for the next few weeks so any help would be useful, thanks.

Carol_Roberts
08-11-2005, 03:58 PM
Generally I recommend bare bottom tanks for juvenile discus. You may want to post in the planted tank/biotope section and ask for advice in setting up this type of tank.

ppv1951
09-09-2005, 05:16 AM
agree with carol. BB is usually best, especially first time around. have fun and welcome to discus!