PDA

View Full Version : question about moving fish

Giniel
08-11-2005, 08:26 PM
Hi I am going to be moving across town and was wondering which way will be less stressful on my discus through the move.
I am going to set up a couple of tanks at the new house ,move the fish ,then move the other tanks afterward.

Is it better to bag all of the fish, put them in a 5 gallon bucket,or put them in an ice chest for the move?? If I put them in a bucket how many should I put in there at a time?

I have 10 tanks and 30 adult discus,2 of which now have freeswimmers. and around 75 juvies between 1" and 3" .

I also have about 25 betta fry , what is the best way to move those also?
Any help is much appreciated
Debbie

Elcid
08-11-2005, 09:42 PM
Hi Debbie:

I'm sorry you have to move, can't u stay where you are? This is a nightmare that I have lived through a few times. Last time I moved, the heater on my reef tank stuck and when I got there the next day all my corals were boiled that I spent so much time to sent up the second tank, move the liverock etc....

You are lucky with discus, you better learn to use bag buddies. I don't know anything about this product but I understand that it works great and I am sure someone experienced with it's use can help you on this board.

This is how I move. I have about 6 - 30 gallon plastic boxes (WalMart type)that are generally used to store stuff. When I move I take these boxes to the new place and fill with water and set it up with a powerhead in each to move the water and heaters to keep the temperature correct. Then I move fish, sponge filters and air-pumps together into these plastic boxes. Then I can take my time to move the tanks and set them up without worrying too much about the fish. Okay I worry, I'm lying about the not worrying :)

Good Luck,
Sandeep

Giniel
08-11-2005, 11:02 PM
Thank you Sandeep , I have 2 extra 55 gallon tanks that I am going to move first so they will be ready .They won't hold all my fish at least not for long. But my worry is how to actually get the fish from one house to the other without too much stress. The move is only about 2 to 3 miles away,but I fear if I don't do this right I could lose some of them and I don't want to lose any of them.They are my babies.I have bag buddies that I used to ship some fish ,I guess they wouldn't hurt to put in whatever I use to move them.
Thanks again
Debbie

Elcid
08-11-2005, 11:26 PM
Hi Debbie:

2 to 3 miles away is not that far. I would move 10 discus at a time and make 4 trips :) The best ones last. Did you test the water in the new place? Is it the same source?

Good luck,
Sandeep

Greg Richardson
08-12-2005, 12:21 AM
Debbie. I have bought discus 1.5 hours away from my house. Just brought them home in the baggie in a 5 gallon bucket with material inbetween bags so the bags don't fall over. Works fine. The amount of time you'll need to do your move is a peice of cake.

Giniel
08-12-2005, 12:25 AM
Hi, No I have not tested the water yet ,but it comes from the same source. Is there a way to move 2 week old fry ? I have 2 weeks before I get to start moving and the babies will be 2 weeks old. I have 6 5 gallon buckets and 3 large ice chests. I want to combine some of the tanks to have more to move over first. Hopefully not too much stress doing it that way.

Thanks
Debbie

Elcid
08-12-2005, 12:48 AM
Hi:

I know this is not the best idea and I have not done it personally but I have seen someone who did it :) They bought one of those kiddy pools (inflatable type) and set it up in the basement with several heaters and a couple of powerheads. My thought is to stress ur fish as little as possible before the move! and have a makeshift setup in your new place with aged water and proper water movement and oxygenation (the large surface of the kiddy pool is very good for this)....

2 wk fry! I'm sure it can be done, you always hear of ppl buying pairs with fry and taking them home. I've never done it, sorry!

take care,
Sandeep

Carol_Roberts
08-12-2005, 05:12 PM
Individual bags work best for adults. Fill 1/3 water - rest air. Put bags in bucket or other container to hold up right and reduce movement. Fry can go in bucket.

nacra99
08-13-2005, 02:55 PM
Hi Debbie,
I agree that bags would be the best way to move. If the trip is only going to be 2-3 miles, then there is no need for bag buddies. Just make sure that the new tanks are all cycled and ready to go. Covering the bags and keeping it dark will help reduce stress.

Individual male bettas that have already been jarred should be kept seperate. Perhaps in their jars? You can bag all the females together. If the betta fry are young enough so that they are all still in the same growout tank, then you can bag all of them together. (1/4 bag of water with lots of airspace)

Good luck with the move!

Marc

Giniel
08-13-2005, 08:38 PM
Thank you Marc and Carol.I have not seperated the betta fry yet. Should I bag all the 1" to 3" discus also?? And if so how many to a bag?? Or could they go into a bucket or ice chest? There is probably around 80 of them.I cannot count them without netting them to another tank.LOL Too many and too quick.

If I use the same filters etc can I just use tap water .I only use prime in tap water now for water changes and the water will come from the same resivior.?

I think I really need to sell some fish but I cannot part with any of the big ones,only babies. Most of my fish I bought as babies and grew them out so I am kinda in love with all of them.
Thank you for all your help
Debbie

Spices
08-13-2005, 09:48 PM
Heya Debbie... Good luck in the move. I think you have good advice from the crew above. You'll be fine!! :)

I gather the new location you're going to will have the same municipal waters as in your old pad now. I wouldn't worry so much as long as you do water testing (drink it, use dip sticks, smell it, etc.). I think you'll be allright. :sun:

:D

Carol_Roberts
08-15-2005, 12:05 AM
If the tap water is similiar to yours, then just fill the tanks with warm tap, add dechlor and your existing cycled fitlers. I'd transport the juveniles in buckets or other containers - try not to pack them too tight. With as many as you have I expect you will have to make several trips. Experiment with the culls first.