PDA

View Full Version : Best way to maintain empty cycled tank

Russ
08-12-2005, 01:53 AM
Hi,
I have a 90 gallon tank that held 11 adult discus, but I sold them and am waiting to get a bunch of juvenile discus in several weeks. I have 3 bristle nosed pleco's in the tank still and was wondering the best way to keep the tank cycled until the new fish arrive. Someone told me to add pure ammonia and take out the pleco's, but didn't say how much ammonia and how often to add it and if I have to do water changes while doing this.

discusdave
08-12-2005, 03:26 AM
I have an empty, cycled 56 column tank that had five discus in it. I just throw some food in the tank every couple days. The tank will need a cleaning and siphoning, but there is plenty of ammonia in there from the decaying food.

Dave

ed8t
08-12-2005, 04:06 PM
I don't think your new juvies would create that much more of a bioload than your current inhabitants so adding enough ammonia to read 1 to 2 ppm would be more than sufficient to maintain or even increase the good bacteria. Test your water every couple of days and when the ammonia reading is back to 0, add enough to bump up the readings again. No need for any water changes but do a 100% change just before adding your new fish.

Carol_Roberts
08-12-2005, 04:17 PM
I prefer adding the clear ammonia - rotting food encourages other bacteria in the tank. Do pull the bristlenose and do remember the 99% water change 24 hours before adding the discus.

Russ
08-13-2005, 01:27 AM
Thank You

alpine
08-14-2005, 05:32 PM
I have four 75 gallon tanks. Two , I already have discus and the other two are cycled but no discus yet. they have been cycle since at least june and I add 1 and a half tsp clear ammonia every four or five days.

Learned that from the people here at this forum. ( I cycled with clear ammonia(Fishless) )

roberto.

ppv1951
09-09-2005, 04:59 AM
good tips. thanks.

pat.