PDA

View Full Version : CONSTIPATED Blue Diamond

Barb Newell
08-12-2005, 07:52 AM
Well, I'm stuck on this one. I have a 2 year old blue diamond who is SO CONSTIPATED, I've tried epsom salt as high as 1 tbsp/ 2 gals and this piece of crap won't move. It's jammed and he's blocked solid.... :confused: :confused:

Any suggestions would be appreciated. He has been like this for days now, not eating, floating around the tank.

Barb

billeagan
08-12-2005, 08:04 AM
Never heard of that. Generally, I use 4 tbsp in my 75 and it clears them right up...

Maybe soak some black worms in the epsom and then feed?

Alight
08-12-2005, 01:53 PM
Maybe an internal bacterial infection secondary to bloat? Try minocycline (maracyn 2) and put a net over the fish so he stays down and doesn't dry out too much.

Barb Newell
08-12-2005, 03:34 PM
Hi, thanks.

Not sure about the bacterial infection, I can see the huge piece of crap stuck there. His belly is not bloated, the crap is stuck.... what a conversation. I can get a pic.

Barb

Carol_Roberts
08-12-2005, 04:20 PM
I guess you could net him and try pulling it out. I don't know how to do a fish enema.

Barb Newell
08-12-2005, 05:05 PM
LOL That will be my next move Carol.

"I don't know how to do a fish enema."

I thought I might do a fish enema with a 'feline urinary catheter' -- idea? LOL Poor fish, he's clearly hurting.

Barb

traco
08-12-2005, 05:25 PM
See, I don't feel so bad now that someone else was kind of on the same wavelength. :D I sent you a PM Barb. If you can catch him and kind of massage the area? I don't think you can harm him if you go gently. Worth a try?

Barb

CliffsDiscus
08-12-2005, 05:41 PM
Barb,

Is your Blue Diamond dark? Go for the syringe with epsom salt, ejection into
the stomach area, use a small type of syringe as the type use for feeling
small baby birds. Open the mouth of your Discus and stick the syringe as
far down as possible, inject the salt, and cover your face.

Cliff

ricmod
08-13-2005, 01:35 AM
Barb; Could not beleive it when read your post. Had the same thing on my BD two weeks ago. Almost 3/8 in poop at anal opening. I used needle to pick at it lightly to loosen and used syring, like used for giving babies meds, to suction out some alone with gental message of area. When I got it about half out, I put it back into tank with epson salts 2tbles per 10 gals. He passed the rest within a day and is doing just fine. Wouldn't think they could stretch that far. Mine was only a year old. Best of luck.

Rich

Barb Newell
08-13-2005, 01:44 AM
Hi, Barb... it was a great suggestion, right on!

Mario, thank you for the call :)

Cliff,
cover your face, sounds interesting.

Rich, they have the largest poops. He didn't pass it yet, if it's still there tomorrow, I'll try something. He is more active tonight and fighting with the other fish so I'm hoping that may help him. I think in future, I'll mix some epsom salt in my beefheart mix.

Barb