PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

holocron
08-12-2005, 01:18 PM
I just wanted to say hello! I found this forum yesterday and was mesmerized by the 'Lets see your WILDS' thread. Amazing fish!

I recently got into the discus keeping hobby. I am currently raising 3 fry and they seem to be doing quite well. I have a feeling this forum will be a indispensible resource as I have heard these guys are trickier to raise then other fish.

thanks for the great site!

Discusgeo2
08-12-2005, 03:40 PM
Welcome to Simply Discus Holocron! Plenty of useful information can be found here. Use the search button if you need an answer quickly. If not post your question and I am sure you will get more than enough answers.

I have heard these guys are trickier to raise then other fish

Nope just give them lots and lots of Clean warm water, wipe down the inside of the tank with each water change and good foods. You should be able to grow out your Discus into nice adults without any trouble.

Robin764
08-12-2005, 09:45 PM
Welcome to the ADDICTION!!

Great to have ya:)

Robin

leeg
08-12-2005, 11:28 PM
hi holocron, welcome to simplydiscus! hey are you from the Toronto area as well? if so where did u get your discus?

holocron
08-13-2005, 09:10 AM
hi holocron, welcome to simplydiscus! hey are you from the Toronto area as well? if so where did u get your discus?

I got my discus jouvies (they were tiny, roughly 1/2") just for a guy who had a breeding pair of adult discus. It was a pretty good stroke of luck, because I have never heard of anyone selling fry so small. I got them for $3 each which is a great price too.

kelseygirl
08-13-2005, 09:16 AM
WARNING:

Once you enter, you will never be able to escape. :)

holocron
08-13-2005, 11:14 AM
WARNING:

Once you enter, you will never be able to escape. :)

yeah i can totally see that happening. I have had these little guys for almost a month now.. and yeah I am just hooked. They have such character... haven't seen a fish so fun and friendly.

April
08-13-2005, 04:52 PM
welcome to simplydiscus. if youve kept them well and eating and growing so far..then your doin fine. as they said..daily wcs and keep the tank clean. only feed what they can eat in a few minutes..no food left on the ground..and keep your water parameters stable.
another piece of good advice. dont add more to that existing tank from other sources. if you do get more..start a new tank and keep things separate .
they are great fish...and theres no turning back after discus. the king of aquarium fish. : )

tpastrana
06-23-2006, 08:05 PM
Hello Everyone,

I was not sure how to introduce myself so I just did a reply here.
I just wanted to say what a great forum this is. I have found myself just reading and reading and getting so much information. I have only been addicted to Discus for about 6 mos now. I have been keeping fish for about 3 yrs though. I do not know what took me so long to get into this craze. But I love these fish !!! I have a 55 Gallon tank, with 5 little 2.5 to 3 inch babies from Discus Madness.( Blue diamond,Torquise,Orange Red Melon & Red?) They are local to where I live. I also have one 5 1/2 to 6 inch purple and one 3.5 to 4 inch Red melon. I purchaced them from a guy who told me about this site. He is a very nice guy with a really huge tank. I am not sure what his name is on this site. But I am sure I will run into him here. I am sure I am going to learn a lot from this site. I look forward to getting to know everyone soon.

April
06-23-2006, 09:09 PM
welcome aboard. :wave:
hope you enjoy..theres lots of reading..and lots of info.
dont be afraid to ask questions . thats what we are here for. also for comaraderie. : )

tpastrana
06-23-2006, 10:10 PM
Thank You, It is nice to meet you.

Teresa:)

Kenny's Discus
06-23-2006, 10:13 PM
Welcome friend! You are/will be in Discus Heaven lol.

Kenny

Kindredspirit
06-24-2006, 08:01 AM
lots and lots of Clean warm water, wipe down the inside of the tank with each water change and good foods. You should be able to grow out your Discus into nice adults without any trouble.

I really believe this to be true ~ if you grow out your babies in a bb tank with 50% wc daily at least ~ good housekeeping within the tank ~ high quality food ~ and you started with healthy strong fish to begin with.... then you should be able to grow out your Discus relatively free of any problems~

No slacking allowed tho;)

Welcome to Simply Discus guys!! We love pictures so start coughing them up!!:D

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_2_20.gif

AmberC
06-24-2006, 09:50 AM
Welcome to Simply! This is most definitely one of the best forums ever for great information and great people!! Glad to have you! :D

Amber