PDA

View Full Version : sponge filters and wet/dry question

agave60
08-12-2005, 01:25 PM
I finally have my diy wet/dry running. Would I be preserving the beneficial bacteria on my hydro filters by placing them in the sump? The hyrdos would be submerged without aearation. The reason for placing them in the sump would be to remove them from the tank (very unsitely in the living room) and be able to quickly setup a hospital/breeding tank in the future.

Thanks,
Carlos

RichieE
08-12-2005, 04:56 PM
Hi Carlos. I think much of the bacteria and crud from the sponge would leach out if not connected to constant air. Some of it would eventually find its way to the prefilter pad on your wet/dry. The rest of it will mess up your tank. If your going to put them in the sump keep the air hooked up and take off the lift tube. The water in the sump will most likely be to low for the sponge to work with the tube on. Rich

Moon
08-12-2005, 05:24 PM
Carlos
I would keep the sponge filters running in your tank untill the wet/dry has established a bacteria colony. Then you can remove the sponges. This will take about 3 weeks.

agave60
08-12-2005, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to increase the water level in the wet/dry in order to keep the sponges running. I also have two Aquaclear 110s and one penguin 400 running on the same tank, these will remain running for the next three weeks. Would you guys suggest removing the sponges out of the power filters and sumbersing them in the wet/dry?

discusdave
08-13-2005, 09:49 AM
I have an Oceanic series three wet dry in my 240 gallon tank, and I also run three hydro sponges in the sump as well. Never hurts to have some backup biological filtration. Just remember that they are in there and squeeze them out in tank water once in a while to clean them. They are great for establishing an already cycled tank if you need one for another setup.

agave60
08-13-2005, 03:56 PM
discusdave,
do you have the hyrdos hooked up to an air pump?

thanks,
Carlos

discusdave
08-13-2005, 04:07 PM
discusdave,
do you have the hyrdos hooked up to an air pump?

thanks,
Carlos

Carlos,
Yes, they are hooked to an air pump.
Dave