PDA

View Full Version : sump or wet/dry filtration system?

john2gs
08-12-2005, 05:59 PM
I am new into discus hobby, and I just observed that most use Hang on back filters like aquaclear ...

sump or wet/dry filtration system is a good filtration system, which can hold tons of bio media compared to HOBs, easy maintanance, plus also adds more to the total water volume. Howcome this is not being used as much? :confused:

I am using canister filtration, but I know most discus hobbyist dont prefer this type due to the "scare" of black-out situations....which I understand.

but I dont understand the reason why sump or wet/dry filtration is not widely used by the common hobbyist? :confused:

thanks

aggie_67
08-12-2005, 10:45 PM
IMO, wet/dry require a more mechanical type person, generally have piping, pumps, etc. Hang on the back is a "no brainer" and also a lot less expensive.

ValorG
08-13-2005, 01:58 AM
i dont like power filters, i like my cannisters like u but would love a sump as so i can add all the heaters and ish in der. the cannister is only on my show tank though and the rest of my tanks use sponge filters.

jaydoc
08-13-2005, 12:09 PM
i use a wet/wet dry sump on my 175 bow front display. The heaters are in the sump. It looks really nice and keeps the water really clean. On the other hand, it is difficult to keep the sumps clean ( many discus keepers try to wipe everything in the tank down regularly to decrease build up of harmful bacteria). Also difficult to keep food out of the overflows into the sump. Some people think that wet/dry setups are less maintainance. I disagree. As a discus tank, it is probably more work. I have prefilter sponges in the tank overflows to keep the sumps cleaner but I have to rinse those sponges regularly as well. Certainly hang on the back filtration and air driven sponges are cheaper HTH.
Cary

kaceyo
08-13-2005, 05:53 PM
I think cost and the lack of information regarding trickle filters in fresh water are the main reasons you don't see more of them in discus circles. Most of us have bare bottom tanks, do lots of water changes and use sponge filters. It's hard to see the need for such an investment when you know that a $10 dollar sponge filter and daily water changes is the norm among the most succesful discus breeders and hobbiests. Thats not to say they don't have their advantages. I think if I ever set up a central filter system for a number of growout tanks or even a large display tank that a trickle filter would be the way to go.

Kacey

john2gs
08-13-2005, 07:01 PM
I think cost and the lack of information regarding trickle filters in fresh water are the main reasons you don't see more of them in discus circles. Most of us have bare bottom tanks, do lots of water changes and use sponge filters. It's hard to see the need for such an investment when you know that a $10 dollar sponge filter and daily water changes is the norm among the most succesful discus breeders and hobbiests. Thats not to say they don't have their advantages. I think if I ever set up a central filter system for a number of growout tanks or even a large display tank that a trickle filter would be the way to go.

Kacey

is that the reason why most discus hobbyists are not into wet/dry and sump filters? because most of them do wc everyday?

will having a sump that has tons of bio-media......will lessen the frequency of wc of discus hobbyists?

cuz a sponge filter will not have as much beneficial bacterias compared to other biomedia such as ehfisubstrat pro (eheim). Especially if the sponge filter is being disturbed (washed regularly) by a discus hobbyist...

or discus just needs new water........even if the tank water has ammonia/nitrite/nitrates, are zero (low in nitrates)?

kaceyo
08-13-2005, 07:44 PM
Yes, they JUST need new water, even if ammo and nitrites are 0 and have low nitrate. The breakdown of nitrogen compounds is just one aspect of whats needed and if you re-read my post you'll see I did't say the reason trickle filters aren't used more is because daily water changes are done.

Kacey

john2gs
08-13-2005, 07:46 PM
Yes, they JUST need new water, even if ammo and nitrites are 0 and have low nitrate. The breakdown of nitrogen compounds is just one aspect of whats needed and if you re-read my post you'll see I did't say the reason trickle filters aren't used more is because daily water changes are done.

Kacey

gotcha bro!

thanks for the explanation

Moon
08-15-2005, 12:35 PM
I use all sponge filters in my 125 grow out tank. The reason being regular water changes. I siphon out the tank every day. So there is no need for mechanical filtration. I do have home made wet/dry system on my African chiclid tank. This tank gets water change every two weeks. Hence the need for mechanical filtration.