PDA

View Full Version : Grow out tank necessary?

jdellman
08-14-2005, 11:05 AM
I set up a 29 to breed a pair that have been laying eggs in the community tank. I felt bad that they were always laying eggs without any chance of having them survive. I do not really want to "breed" them, I just want to give the pair their own tank and plan on giving any juvis away.

In that case, is a grow out tank necessary? Or can I keep the pair in there while the juvis grow up enough to give them away.

Alternatively, is it considered cruel to keep a pair in a community tank that are attempting to spawn with no chance of success?

Thanks for the thougths.

Jim

billeagan
08-14-2005, 03:07 PM
Jim,

You should get a grow out tank. If you plan on giving away the juvis at about a month you won't need a grow out tank, however you will still sustain some big losses between 1 and 2 months.

My biggest fear is that the babbies still pick on the adults..

What kind of pair do you have? I'm in Naperville too.. I have some 3 month old juvies that maybe we can swap for?

jdellman
08-15-2005, 06:45 PM
Bill,

Why will there be losses between 1 and 2 months?

I will keep your offer in mind, but I want to give it a shot first and see how it goes.

Thanks,

Carol_Roberts
08-17-2005, 05:03 PM
A 29 is not big enough to grow out babies with a pair . . unless you only have a couple of babies. WAter quality is the issue

billeagan
08-18-2005, 10:06 PM
The losses are for various reasons, gill flukes, etc.

Generally, I will lose about 8% of my fry from about 3 weeks old until about 3 months old.

I just pulled a dozen from one pair and lost 3 or 4. The water was exactly the same in both tanks and the temp was within a degree or two between the two tanks so, I'm not sure what would have caused my loss so quickly.

Stress, shock from the move?

In fact, now that I htink about it I wonder what other breeders experience... I'll start a thread on it and see what people say...

08-19-2005, 10:04 PM
You will be fine for a month or so, but Carol's right, if it is much of a group of fry, maybe 50 or more a month is probably max and you will need to seperate the parents from the fry on or before then anyway. I don't think there's anything cruel about leaving the pair in the comm. if you don't want to mess with breeding, it is a LOT of work if you want healthy fish. You need a 55 or 75 or more to get a large group of fry to 3 months or older successfully. Hey, give it try, you may fall in love with breeding!I did!

billeagan
08-24-2005, 01:02 AM
Love seems to get me trouble..... It got married ... LOL

I fell in love with breeding and now, I have my own business,,, my basement has shelving, 4 water barrells, two r/o units,, supplies, etc, etc. etc.

this love has cost me a ton of money and a ton of time.... But, I love it =)

ppv1951
09-22-2005, 11:54 PM
gotta love it!