PDA

View Full Version : Tropical Storm Katrina

yogi
08-24-2005, 10:19 PM
What can I say another year another storm. Currently this one is suppose to make landfall just a few miles from my house. It's also expected to ba a hurricane at that time. At 11pm we will get a new update on it's projected path. At this time all schools and government offices will be closed Thursday and Friday. Evacuation of the beach areas start at 8am Thursday, mass transit shuts down at 12 noon and red cross shelters open at 2pm. Really all I can say is wish us luck.

Spices
08-24-2005, 11:27 PM
Hope you well during this storm, Yogi. It's no game at all. Hopefully Katrina will remain only a TS and not raise levels to those horrific huracanes we've witnessed. Keeping our fingers crossed for ya. *A*

Discus_KC
08-25-2005, 08:45 AM
You are in our thoughts !!!

Jack

rsawest@yahoo.com
08-25-2005, 09:39 AM
Take care Jerry.

JimmyL
08-25-2005, 10:06 AM
Be careful!!! You're in my prayer. If God permits. Nothing will happen to you and your family and the precious wild cross that I love evey much. There is wide spread flooding all over the world. Hit to the higher ground if needed. We had massive flooding in the city within half an hour of rain. Now I understand how Noah's ark end up on the top of the Mt. Ararat.
Jimmy

Carol_Roberts
08-25-2005, 04:12 PM
I hope you are safe, Jerry.

korbi_doc
08-26-2005, 12:45 PM
Hope everything is ok Jerry, let us know when you can, Dottie

yogi
08-26-2005, 02:14 PM
My electircity is back for now. I lost it at 4:30 pm Thursday and as of now there is still over 1 million out of power. I was in the first 350,000 group to be restored. The people accross the street from me still do not have power. No real damage or flooding to my house. The eye did pass over my house and my wife and I got to walk the dog in the eye of the storm. I had the battery air pumps on my sponge filters and they worked good. Both my stores are still without power. I have the ice cream and italian ice in freezers with dry ice. I hope the power comes back before the dry ice runs out.

JimmyL
08-26-2005, 11:52 PM
Glad to hear you and your family are safe. Walking your dog in the eye???? Sounds like the Wizard of Oz.. I can feel it... an eerie quietness but not so peaceful, dark and gloomy feeling that last for an hour....Then the wind start picking up slowly and within minutes the world turn up side down...Scary!! ....
Jimmy

shyvtguy
08-27-2005, 12:36 AM
Yogi,

Glad to hear you didn't have any loses. These storms are the reason I moved away from florida. Last year I lost power for 1 and 1/2 without losing any of my fish because of battery operated air pump. You should think about one or maybe a UPS.

brewmaster15
08-27-2005, 07:09 AM
Jerry,
Glad to hear you and your Wife are okay. I don't know how you Floridians deal with all those storms.. Sounds like generators should be standard equipment there.

Take care,
al

Butch
08-27-2005, 09:59 PM
Glad you did alright yogi...we are next here in the Baton Rouge area.
I have the generator ready so we should do alright fishwise. I work at
Shell and we will be shutting everything down tomorrow. Always a
high risk time in a chemical unit.
This season is just about to wear me out.

Butch :)

nacra99
08-28-2005, 05:26 AM
Jerry, glad to know that you guys are okay.

Now i guess it's my turn to panic. I live in New Orleans and the whole city is evacutaing. Thankfully I'm out of the country right now and sold all my fish before i left. I have only to worry that my House and car are still there when i get back.

CHeers
Marc

Butch
08-29-2005, 08:28 AM
We are in the middle of it right now. The eye of the storm is about
60 miles to the South South East of me now. The winds are gusting
to about 75mph. Have about another 4 hours of rising winds, so
a way to go yet. You would not believe the amounts of rain falling.
Electricity still on, as well as cable...generator on standby.

Butch :)

yogi
08-29-2005, 09:12 AM
I just want to wish everybody in New Orleans and that whole gulf coast area the best of luck.

April
08-29-2005, 10:15 PM
glad your ok Yogi. not sure id be out walking my dog in the eye ...think id be shivering in my boots in a bomb shelter somewhere.
think ill stay in bc.

Spices
08-30-2005, 06:00 PM
Glad to hear some folks from this forum who resides in FL are okay and safe from this storm's wrath, however others in LA, MS, AL and GA are having a very rough time with the given situation. Katrina so far appears worst than the Tsunami on December 27th, 2004 in Asia. I think the devastation will be more when full recovery is up and running. 80%(+) of land is now a river. Astonishing.

ChuckBam, Beth & Tony S, and others... Just want you to know how much we all are thinking of you and praying for a safe recovery. Please once you get a chance drop a line to someone to let us know of your condition.

Best of luck from all of us to you.

:sun: :angel: :sun: :angel: :sun:

blaze
08-30-2005, 08:20 PM
my prayers are with everyone

Spices
08-31-2005, 05:23 PM
A big heart felt condolence to all who has perished (and is suffering) in this catastrophic storm in the Gulf lines of the USA. The news are reporting astonishing predictions which may result in reality scores of lives that are lost. The mayor of New Orleans is awfully saddened to learn more of the devastation and he too is uncertain of lives lost but knows first hand many will perish from waterborne diseases, hunger and thirst, on top of those who died from the direct hit of Katrina.

God Have Mercy Upon Us in America. It is America's geniune heart of gold that comes up to the bat and lends a helping hand and feed and clothe the hungry. God Bless America Forever and Ever. :angel:

Peace Be Still.

Angie

Anonapersona
09-02-2005, 10:31 PM
It is very bad in New Orleans. I've been watching wwltv.com for local news. We still don't hear much of the lower parishes, south of New Orleans. They didn't have much to begin with, and a wooden structure was not expected to survive.

Spices
09-03-2005, 03:13 AM
It really is a tragic. My son was watching the news this evening and saw the area of where Covington is all demolished. I'm praying for the safety of our Chuck, Beth & Tony S and all in the vicinity. One woman mentioned her son was in the Covington area (MIA). Also, they did find Antoine Domino (aka Fats Domino) and his daughter but missing other family members of his...all in the lower parts of LA.

Peace Be Still.

Dood Lee
09-03-2005, 12:55 PM
Katrina so far appears worst than the Tsunami on December 27th, 2004 in Asia.

No offense to those who have friends or family in the LA area, but this is hurricane pales in comparison to the tsunami in southeast asia.

markwill
09-03-2005, 01:05 PM
No offense to those who have friends or family in the LA area, but this is hurricane pales in comparison to the tsunami in southeast asia.
Agreed 100%. I've been itching to post something exactly as you say, Dood.

I am not sure why anyone feels the need to go down the "our tragedy is worse than theirs" path. For anyone suffering through this awful tragedy it really makes no difference as to how things stack up against some other tragedy. But, on a pure measure of "size", this is clearly an order of magnitude smaller than the tsunami.

There's an argument that says that of our asian friends could have been offended by the original comment.

That said, I also understand that the message was posted in the heat of the moment and at a very distressing time. But also suggest we need to keep this in the broader context if someone feels the need to make a comparison.

Mark

Spices
09-03-2005, 02:46 PM
Well, it is said that ChuckBam was heard from via message on a phone; a post in DAAH was made concerning this effort in MIA. Glad to know he's well.

Now we're hoping Beth & Tony are well too, and others from this forum and DAAH in the hard hit areas.

No intent in any of my posts in this thread to supercede the sympathy I feel for victims of the natural disasters. When I placed a comparison it was to show how forces of natural storms are not to be taken light...and to address that this situation is dire. No reason for any offense to any one (whether east, west, north or south).

At Ease. Peace Be Still. :angel:

**Angie**

Beth
09-03-2005, 09:24 PM
Hi Everyone!

Myself and Tony_S are ok.... Tony is in Canada and was due to be home permanently on the 21st of this month....... well, We're not sure how things are going to pan out now :(

Katrina so far appears worst than the Tsunami on December 27th, 2004 in Asia.

last I heard the death toll was 10,000 and climbing just in the New Orleans area.

Beth

Anonapersona
09-03-2005, 09:59 PM

No offense??? We are talking about an area the size of Great Britian, smashed flat, uninhabitable. This area contains some 30% of the nation's oil and gas production, most of the refinineries, moves the majority of the grain in the country, takes in 20% of the imported oil. The rail lines that were lost are already affecting shipments across the country.

The economic fallout here is only beginning... just wait until the next ordinary emergency happens, a tanker collision, a railway accident. We are on the ropes and the next thing could be a knock out punch -- not for Lousiana, not for the Gulf Coast, but for the nation.

I keep hoping that the major oil companies will run an ad in the New York Times..."OK, who wants to have a refinery in their back yard NOW?" It's gonna be a cold winter for them, you know.

Ronald
09-03-2005, 09:59 PM
Glad you are doing fine Beth. If one can say so :confused:
At least you have each other, and thats all that counts.

I hope for all in the area, all the best. From here it can only go up.

Regards Ronald

Anonapersona
09-03-2005, 10:14 PM
Here in Houston, the grocery store was full of new people today. One woman was chatting with an employee (The girl really didn't speak or understand much English at all, I don't think the lady from New Orleans knew, or maybe it didn't matter) she said she lost everything, water to the rooftop. I think she was lonely and stressed and just needed to speak about what she'd seen.

The people who left early who drove out, are filling the hotels and apartments here. The rest are packed into shelters, in cots head to toe.

My parents got here with a car and two suitcases, some papers. Mom has two pairs of shorts and 4 slacks, packed for a 2 day trip. No word on the house, whether it took on flood water, whether the big oak fell on it, whether it was looted or burned in a gas explosion (rather common after floods). The humidity will probably ruin everything with no power for 4 months. I don't expect insurance to cover much willingly, they will need to fight for every penny to keep out of bankruptcy.

Dood Lee
09-03-2005, 10:59 PM
last I heard the death toll was 10,000 and climbing just in the New Orleans area.

Beth

The death toll for the tsunami was estimated at over a quarter million.

No offense??? We are talking about an area the size of Great Britian, smashed flat, uninhabitable. This area contains some 30% of the nation's oil and gas production, most of the refinineries, moves the majority of the grain in the country, takes in 20% of the imported oil. The rail lines that were lost are already affecting shipments across the country.

The economic fallout here is only beginning... just wait until the next ordinary emergency happens, a tanker collision, a railway accident. We are on the ropes and the next thing could be a knock out punch -- not for Lousiana, not for the Gulf Coast, but for the nation.

I keep hoping that the major oil companies will run an ad in the New York Times..."OK, who wants to have a refinery in their back yard NOW?" It's gonna be a cold winter for them, you know.

I don't think I ever stated anything about it not being a disaster. I was merely commenting on Spices remark about Katrina being "worse" than the hurricane. I know things down in LA are harsh. I know the economic ramifications that will result because of this disaster. But it in no way compares to what happened in Southeast Asia. Unlike those third world nations, the U.S. has the ability to recover from this disaster. It will take time, but we will recover.

Spices
09-04-2005, 01:58 AM
Let me reiterate:

No intent in any of my posts in this thread to supercede the sympathy I feel for victims of the natural disasters. When I placed a comparison it was to show how forces of natural storms are not to be taken light...and to address that this situation is dire. No reason for any offense to any one (whether east, west, north or south).

At Ease. Peace Be Still.

Beth,
I'm glad to hear you're okay and Tony, too. I hope now you can get a speedy recovery. I know both you and Tony had just finished the final touches of the beautiful pond you've shown us about two weeks ago. so sad to think about it. But hang on and do keep in touch. Know that prayers are being said on behalf of all.

:angel:

Spices
09-04-2005, 02:01 AM
Here in Houston, the grocery store was full of new people today. One woman was chatting with an employee (The girl really didn't speak or understand much English at all, I don't think the lady from New Orleans knew, or maybe it didn't matter) she said she lost everything, water to the rooftop. I think she was lonely and stressed and just needed to speak about what she'd seen.

The people who left early who drove out, are filling the hotels and apartments here. The rest are packed into shelters, in cots head to toe.

My parents got here with a car and two suitcases, some papers. Mom has two pairs of shorts and 4 slacks, packed for a 2 day trip. No word on the house, whether it took on flood water, whether the big oak fell on it, whether it was looted or burned in a gas explosion (rather common after floods). The humidity will probably ruin everything with no power for 4 months. I don't expect insurance to cover much willingly, they will need to fight for every penny to keep out of bankruptcy.

Anona,

Your parents are lucky to have packed some changed clothes. :angel:

Glad, too, to hear of their survival. This really is a learning road for all of us to take heed.

Anonapersona
09-04-2005, 06:17 PM
I am watching wwltv.com for the local news out of New Orleans, moved to Baton Rouge when the studio went down, and they have confirmed only about 58 dead in New Orleans and Jefferson Parishes. This is the (former?) coroner, who will not make grand estimates but waits until he sees and examines the body to know if it was storm related or natural causes or violence. (He was great when he slapped down the reporters clammoring for a body count... we will treat each person with dignity, each death is One Person.) I know Miss. has reported about 150 dead confirmed. I read that there are more bodies in other places, but they have not been examined to establish cause. We hear very little of the lower areas, I'm sure they were wiped out.

In the city, we know that looting after these things is typical. Often one family member will stay behind to protect the property, sending the others on to safety. I'd guess that in each block of homes you see flooded, there were 2 or 3 men there each, multiply that by the miles of neighborhoods. Then add the poor, the elderly, and the drug addicts.

brewmaster15
09-05-2005, 07:38 AM
To the people in any disaster I think thoughts of other disasters being worse or better don't really matter. What matters most is that life is lost and those that survive have had their worlds turned upside down, and often its the children and elderly that suffer the most being the most frail....what I saw of the tsunami broke my heart, what I have seen here does the same.. :( I think we should all help in any way we can where ever these tragedies occur.

If you haven't done so, please consider helping out.Theres tens of thousands of people that literally have no place to live and most likely won't for 1-2 months....and when they return... not much will be there. Getting them out of affected areas was only the beginning...and its going to be a long road.

A cash donation only takes a minute and may make the difference in saving someones life. You can specify the way your funds are to be used.

My family isn't rolling in money, quite the contrary, and times are hard, but I think if we all look close at our situation...we can help out some way... Please try.

....https://give.redcross.org/?CID=HUR-MarriotExt

-al

brewmaster15
09-05-2005, 08:01 AM
red cross stats...

http://www.redcross.org/pressrelease/0,1077,0_314_4509,00.html

National Headquarters
2025 E Street, N.W.
Washington, DC 20006
www.redcross.org
Title: MEDIA INQUIRIES ONLY
Phone: 202-303-5551
info@usa.redcross.org

WASHINGTON, Sunday, September 04, 2005 — The American Red Cross has launched an immense emergency relief effort to meet unprecedented humanitarian needs in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

PHOTOGRAPHS

View American Red Cross photos from Mississippi and the Houston Astrodome.

In times of disaster, the American Red Cross immediately mobilizes workers and supplies to address the urgent, critical needs of disaster victims, which include providing emergency shelter, food, water, counseling and other assistance. The Red Cross response to Hurricane Katrina is the largest response to a single, natural disaster in the 125-year history of the organization.

Fast Facts
(As of 5:00 p.m., Sept 3)

Red Cross Mass Care:

Shelters – 356 American Red Cross shelters are open in 9 states: Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, Tennessee, Arkansas, Florida, Missouri and Georgia, with many more on standby.

Evacuees – More than 107,400 evacuees are being sheltered.

Emergency Vehicles – 249 Red Cross Emergency Response Vehicles (ERVs) are now in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama, with additional ERVs en route to the affected area. The Red Cross is working to engage additional vehicles for food distribution to survivors.

Relief Workers – Thousands of Red Cross staff and volunteers across the country and from every part of the organization are working around the clock to serve the public need. More than 4,200 Red Crossers have left their families to serve in affected areas already, and the Red Cross is moving more than 600 additional workers into affected areas every day.

Feeding – The Red Cross is working closely with several partners, including the Southern Baptist Convention, the Adventists and Second Harvest to provide emergency food to survivors and responders. In coordination with the Southern Baptists, preparations are underway to serve nearly 500,000 hot meals each day.

Nearly 137,600 meals have been served in the last 24 hours.

Houston Astrodome Shelter – The Red Cross is supporting government officials in the relocation and sheltering of more than 23,000 hurricane survivors traveling over 300 miles from New Orleans to Houston.

In Dallas-Ft. Worth and San Antonio, the Red Cross and local partners are working to find dozens of facilities in which thousands of evacuees will find a safe, clean and comfortable environment.

Health & Preventative Care – The Red Cross is working with government and health services partners to develop health strategies and preventative measures to help the public and relief workers cope with the serious public health emergency.
Note: Media is encouraged to contact their local Red Cross chapter to learn how it is responding to the disaster.

Reuniting Families:
The Red Cross, with support of the worldwide Red Cross Movement, has launched a Web site and hotline to help reunite loved ones.

Online – Persons looking for loved ones can go to www.redcross.org and click on “Family Links Registry” to register yourself, a missing relative or view the existing list of registrants. Within the first 24 hours, more than 20,000 people had registered on the "Family Links" Web site.

Hotline – Those who do not have Internet access should call toll-free 1-877-LOVED-1S (1-877-568-3317).

How to Help:

Due to the generosity of the American people, the American Red Cross stands ready to meet the monumental challenge of helping to rebuild lives.

Funds Received to Date – The American Red Cross estimates that, as of September 3, 2005, it has received $302 million in gifts and pledges for the hurricane relief effort.

To Donate – Call 1-800-HELP NOW or 1-800-257-7575 (Spanish). Contributions to the Disaster Relief Fund may be sent to your local American Red Cross chapter or to the American Red Cross, P. O. Box 37243, Washington, DC 20013. Internet users can make a secure online contribution by visiting www.redcross.org.

To Volunteer – Individuals interested in volunteering for the American Red Cross should contact their local Red Cross chapter.

To Learn More – The magnitude of this disaster is bringing together the experience, expertise and resources of many organizations and agencies to meet the unprecedented humanitarian needs of the hurricane survivors. To learn more about the coordination of efforts and additional resources, visit www.usafreedomcorps.gov.

Get Prepared: It is now more important than ever that the public take steps to prepare themselves, their families, communities and workplaces for emergencies and disasters. The Red Cross responds to more than 70,000 disasters annually, including wildfires, tornadoes and single family house fires, with some type of disaster striking every 8 minutes in the United States. Make a plan, build a kit, and get trained in first aid and CPR.
Important Notes

Disaster Assistance: All American Red Cross disaster assistance is free, made possible by voluntary donations of time and money from the American people. You can help the victims of this disaster and thousands of other disasters across the country each year by making a financial gift to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund, which enables the Red Cross to provide shelter, food, counseling and other assistance to those in need.

Situation Updates: This disaster relief operation is constantly changing. The Red Cross will update this document as often as feasible, but please note the date of last update when using facts or numbers in news stories.

Shelter Numbers: Shelter numbers fluctuate based on their location and the time of day.

Red Cross Mission: The American Red Cross, a humanitarian organization led by volunteers and guided by its Congressional Charter and the Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross Movement, will provide relief to victims of disaster and help people prevent, prepare for, and respond to emergencies.

About the American Red Cross: The American Red Cross is where people mobilize to help their neighbors—across the street, across the country, and across the world—in emergencies. Each year, in communities large and small, victims of some 70,000 disasters turn to neighbors familiar and new--the nearly one million volunteers and 35,000 employees of the Red Cross. Through almost 900 locally supported chapters, more than 15 million people gain the skills they need to prepare for and respond to emergencies in their homes, communities and world. Some four million people give blood—the gift of life—through the Red Cross, making it the largest supplier of blood and blood products in the United States. And the Red Cross helps thousands of U.S. service members separated from their families by military duty stay connected. As part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, a global network of 181 national societies, the Red Cross helps restore hope and dignity to the world's most vulnerable people. An average of 91 cents of every dollar the Red Cross spends is invested in humanitarian services and programs. The Red Cross is not a government agency; it relies on donations of time, money, and blood to do its work. Marsha J. Evans is the President and CEO of the American Red Cross.

Spices
09-06-2005, 01:03 PM
Don't forget the Salvation Army. Their number is:

1-800-725-2769
or
1-800-SAL-ARMY

Regards, :angel:
Angie

Ronald
09-07-2005, 11:22 PM
I am sure more have the same Idea I had.

I let our employees collect donations ($). And what ever they come up with the company will match. Some of our employees are doing the same with each other. Like the supervisors and leads will match what the workers collect. I then will match them and the company will match all together.
It's only a drop in the bucket but hey that’s a drop less.

Ronald

Anonapersona
09-13-2005, 02:18 PM
As of Sept 10, the web log at www.nola.com shows that people are still stranded without food or water in areas deep south of New Orleans and parts of Mississippi. Some areas have spotty phone service, but all other services are gone, no drinking water, no food, no help.