PDA

View Full Version : Diatom Filter

billeagan
08-28-2005, 12:29 PM
I saw some mention of a diatom filter and found some info on it. It is made by Vortex, pestmart has them.

I find them very interesting. I was thinking of running it in my tanks once a week.

Does anyone have any experience/recommendations with them?

cowboy steve
08-28-2005, 02:33 PM
They are very good at doing what they are desighned to do, polish water.

I have seen them used to clean up algae infestations as well, but it seems your once a week plan is just for polishing water.

They are pretty cool, the tanks look spectacular when you get done.

billeagan
08-29-2005, 04:19 PM
Their site claims to take out protoza, etc.

The basics would be to clean the water, but do I get the added bonus of disease control?

Cosmo
08-29-2005, 08:19 PM
Yup,

They will even filter out bacteria :)

They can be a PITA though and very messy if you're not careful. If you're going that route, check out http://www.bigalsonline.com and http://www.petsolutions.com first.. probably much better pricing.

IF you want a super polish, get some of their powdered carbon too and add a tablespoon to the diatomatious earth when you recharge the filter.

Jim

BigDaddy
08-30-2005, 06:21 PM
If you are just looking to polish your water... a HOT Magnum with the micron cartridge is just as good and much cheaper! Plus, you can charge a HOT with diatom powder and use it as a diatom filter for the special times when a micron cartridge isn't enough (green water comes to mind).

Mr. Limpet
08-30-2005, 06:38 PM
I just bought my third Vortex XL. Wore the other two out. I also have a HOT Magnum. The Hot Magnums work well on smaller tanks, but can't handle 100+ gallon clean ups. The Vortex can be a pain, but you get used to it. The results are worth it. JMHO Paul.

korbi_doc
09-03-2005, 08:28 AM
I just bought my third Vortex XL. Wore the other two out. I also have a HOT Magnum. The Hot Magnums work well on smaller tanks, but can't handle 100+ gallon clean ups. The Vortex can be a pain, but you get used to it. The results are worth it. JMHO Paul.

:D As long as I have fish to take care of, won't be without my Vortex filter. I use the smaller one, & have also worn a couple out. The one I have now had a problem leak within the plastic base, sent it back to the Co. in fla. They replaced it & it's working great, just pd shipping. I also use the HOT magnums, have 2, use in conjunction with the vortex when necessary. Think I've solved some of the problems ppl complain about with the Vortex, anything to make it's use easier, but I do really love it..

This is a plastic flower container, found in a grocery store, I'm sure flower shippers have'm... set it inside the tank, with tank water in it, put the inlet & outlet tubes inside it & also the diatom powder. Start it up & charge it, when water runs clear, just take the vase down off the tubes & you have a running Vortex, very easy to charge this way.. JMO, Dottie :)

billeagan
09-04-2005, 11:55 PM
Sweet idea... I wish I could be that creative =)

ppv1951
09-16-2005, 12:15 PM
i've had a vortex for many years. probly the best filter i've ever had. a bit of a pain, but you get used to it. SPARKLES the water.

pat.

Upper Canada
09-16-2005, 05:07 PM
I agree with Mr. Limpet etc. Once you have used one a couple of times there is no mystery about it at all. I have ran them in system sumps and prepared breeding tanks with them.

Bob,

Upper Canada Discus

Discusgeo2
09-17-2005, 05:58 AM
I too use the Diatom filters. I have 2 of the XL models and 2 of the standard ones. They works great in between water changes. Keeps all my tanks sparkling clear. Just keep a few O-Rings and impeller shaft seals handy and you can't go wrong with these babies.

Spices
09-17-2005, 07:17 AM
I too use the Diatom filters. I have 2 of the XL models and 2 of the standard ones. They works great in between water changes. Keeps all my tanks sparkling clear. Just keep a few O-Rings and impeller shaft seals handy and you can't go wrong with these babies.

And don't forget spare filter bags too. This is for those like me who run it maybe 96 hours per week. ;)

Love the XL's. I have it with my Emperor 400 and the water is strictly polished (gone are those watermites which irritates the gills of the fish). Yuk! Also gone are the medications. ;)

billeagan
09-17-2005, 01:11 PM
I ordered the DFF so it keeps the siphon and has the hanger so I can move it from tank to tank.

I can't wait...

Discusgeo2
09-18-2005, 12:18 AM
I back flush all my units until the water runs clear, no need to take it apart to clean it everyday. When you shut if off for the day, connect the garden hose to the output hose and back flush the unit out. Just don't turn on the water very hard or the pressure will break it. Shake it up to get all the powder off the bottom of the jar. If you don't your going to have one stinky mess if you open it up to clean it. Once every 2 weeks I connect it to a 5 gallon pail and run bleach thru it. Make sure you flush it good after the bleach treatment.

billeagan
10-01-2005, 12:12 PM
The DFF finally arrived and when I finally got it going it did a wonderful job.

I found that it was hard to keep the thing primed and took a while to get it going again once it crapped out.

I have bought a hot magnum to run the micron filter next to it. I think I"m going to go with the magnum just for ease of use.

discusjoe
10-14-2005, 04:28 PM
I was wondering if anyone has purchased a 10lb bag of Vortex
Diatom Earth from anywhere cheap. Aquariumguys has it on their
website for $18.99, but it out of stock.

Does anyone have any sources?

Thank YOu
Joe

discusjoe
10-17-2005, 11:27 PM
If anyone out there cares :p

I found a 10 lb bag of Vortex Diatom material
at Petsmart for $16.99. That seems to be the
best deal.....

Joe