View Full Version : Info on wet/dry filters

mwhite
08-28-2005, 10:15 PM
Im considering a wet/dry filter for my 90 gallon show tank. Im currently using a mag 350 and biowheels, the wet/drys Ive been looking at have a 2 sided overflow box; Would I have to make sure that my tank doesnt evaporate too much so that the water doesnt fall below the overflow box intake and would I have to turn off the sump pump everytime I do a WC? Anyone that has a wet/dry please post your epinion on how you like it or not. THanks

discusdave
08-29-2005, 10:47 AM
Water loss from evaporation on a tank with a wet dry and hang on the back pre-filter box is reflected in the water level in the sump, not the tank. Your sump will go dry and the return pump will suck air before you see the water level in the tank go down.

Wether you would have to turn off your return pump when you do a water change depends on if the amount of water you remove is more than what will allow the return pump in the sump to operate. If what you take out would have the pump run dry then you need to turn off the pump. If not, then no.

Wet drys are great. They let you place the heater and any pH probes, etc in there. It keeps the tank from being too junked up with equipment.

Bassem
08-29-2005, 12:01 PM
if biowheels are in use, isn't it good enought for biological filtration?or the wet/dry still better?

i never used a wet/dry before, i am not sure but isn't it noisy?

Regards,
Bassem

Cosmo
08-29-2005, 08:30 PM
Bio wheels are good, but this would be like comparing an apple to an orange. A good wet/dry is far superior, but more expensive and then you have the WC issue..

I had the same reservations about having to turn the wet/dry on and off with WC's so I go an Eheim wet/dry cannister. Quiet and fully enclosed.. breaths through a breathing tube and empties and fills in cycles to create the wet/dry effect.. works great.

I have a sump wet/dry in the basement fishroom, noise isn't bad at all, might depend quite a bit on the pump you choose (I have a Mag500 on mine). Mine is setup with a bulkhead on the side so as I add water to the tanks the overflow goes from the sump into the fishroom drainline.. don't have the WC worry this way :)

Jim

Gary Bolton
09-22-2005, 08:49 PM
One of the best custom made wet and dry systems I've ever seen for keeping a discus show tank was when this guy used an Fluval 403 Canister filter. But he built a Dry section that rested on the tank braces were you normally have your sliding glass lid.

He built a long narrow tank shaped trickle chamber that ran the full length of the tank at the back. So his sliding glass was still there in front of it working. His spray bar then sprayed the water back into that, were it would trickle back into the tank very slow becuase of the length involved. Giving him both a great wet and dry system. With a very good turn over of water volume that cause little water disturbance when returned back into the tank.

He was able to stock large levels of discus using this method