PDA

View Full Version : Formlin as anti fungal for eggs

kaceyo
08-30-2005, 05:37 PM
I've got a few new pairs that are just getting things figured out so I like to be able to see exactly whats going on in the tanks. With egg screens in place they can't do their job of keeping the eggs clean so I'd like to use an anti fungal agent but my eyesight ain't what it used to be and with MBlue I can't see much. So what's the dose of Hyde when used for this?
Thanx,

Kacey

Dkarc@Aol.com
08-30-2005, 07:16 PM
1 drop per gallon when using for eggs. It works very well. Just be sure your tank is very clean before they spawn. I have used as much as 2 drops per gallon...but 1 drop per gallon is enough.

-Ryan

Neil1_2
09-02-2005, 12:55 PM
I've definitely had better hatch rates with formalin being used on the eggs!!!

hexed
09-02-2005, 01:03 PM
I put 2 drops of formalin per gallon right after the eggs are laid and now have a 95-97% hatch rate.

kaceyo
09-02-2005, 07:55 PM
Thanks guys. I usualy do small (20%) w/c's while they have eggs. Do you do w/c's at this time and if so do you replace the Formaline thats removed by the w/c? I seem to lose many more eggs due to the parents over cleaning than to fungus. Only a few go white but all the good eggs surrounding the white ones are lost in the cleanup process.

Kacey

Dkarc@Aol.com
09-03-2005, 01:04 AM
I normally do 25% w/c's 2x a day when they have eggs...the formalin is a one time deal when they first lay eggs. I screen the eggs, add formalin and do my w/c's the next day(s).

-Ryan

Greg Richardson
09-03-2005, 01:08 AM
Well hurry up. I got a tank waiting. LOL!

hexed
09-03-2005, 02:50 AM
I have used formalin the last two times, like I said I put 2 drops per gallon when they are done laying eggs no more. None of my eggs turned white as you can see in my pictures I posted in my thread "breeding in a 55 gallon" on the last page. The "dead" eggs just stayed an amber or orangish color and the fertile eggs turned black. I did not do a water change until the eggs almost hatched, actually when I looked at the eggs from an angle and saw little tails LOL. I do a 30% water change once a day. The only peoblem I had was the most of the wigglers wouldn't stick to the cone, so the just put them into a pile and watched them. I think it was because of the formalin at 2 drops. After the eggs hatched the parents removed the unhatched eggs (ate them). As of right now I have about 200-250 fry swimming around and they are just starting to attach to the parents.

Ryan, why are you using screens, you have egg eaters? I only use the screen the first couple of times to see if the male is doing his job, then I let them do it til they get it right. They ate the eggs about 4 times then the fry a few and then they finally get it right. The problem I have with the current pair is the female constantly wants to lay, so I might be removing her soon. The male seems to be chasing her away from the fry anyway. I just do not know if he can handle that many fry alone? :(

cveks
05-04-2009, 08:18 AM
I have used formalin the last two times, like I said I put 2 drops per gallon when they are done laying eggs no more. None of my eggs turned white as you can see in my pictures I posted in my thread "breeding in a 55 gallon" on the last page. The "dead" eggs just stayed an amber or orangish color and the fertile eggs turned black. I did not do a water change until the eggs almost hatched, actually when I looked at the eggs from an angle and saw little tails LOL. I do a 30% water change once a day. The only peoblem I had was the most of the wigglers wouldn't stick to the cone, so the just put them into a pile and watched them. I think it was because of the formalin at 2 drops. After the eggs hatched the parents removed the unhatched eggs (ate them). As of right now I have about 200-250 fry swimming around and they are just starting to attach to the parents.

Ryan, why are you using screens, you have egg eaters? I only use the screen the first couple of times to see if the male is doing his job, then I let them do it til they get it right. They ate the eggs about 4 times then the fry a few and then they finally get it right. The problem I have with the current pair is the female constantly wants to lay, so I might be removing her soon. The male seems to be chasing her away from the fry anyway. I just do not know if he can handle that many fry alone? :(

one parent is more than enough for raising fry. what percantage of formaline do you use ? 35% or more ?