PDA

View Full Version : Worried about new discus

Kindredspirit
09-02-2005, 11:36 PM
I rec'vd three new baby discus today, and no I didnt QT them...I just had no way to do that but am in the process of working on that. I did explain this to the owner of where i purchased them and explained my tank to him as well as all my readings and so on..He said there should not be a problem. It has been almost 8 hours since i put them in the tank and they are still hiding! I am worried...and one more thing. I was at the site where i purchased these three discus and I thought i was getting what i SAW....but they are babies. Should i have known that?? I just read the site again and i just must be a total idiot cuz I am still under the impression you get what you THINK you are putting in your cart...or in this case, what I emailed to the owner, picture and all... When i emailed the owner, nice guy by the way, about the color and size of these discuses after i had already rec'vd them, , he said that they are only babies and will grow into the colors i wanted. I was wondering at that point why he didnt email me or call me and tell me that when i sent him my original order?? 'Now Marie...i know you are new to this, but these will be babies and they will not look like the pictures you sent to me for a while"...whatcha think Guys?? Perhaps i should have known this...I certainly do now! I may not return to that site... Anyways, am i being petty?? Please tell me these little babies are going to start swimming around? I have one, Ms. Pringles, and she chased them at first...now they are mad...and scared...I am going to set up a 10gal tank and put her in it but that will take a long while, Yes??? So...Please help!! And yes, i have activated carbon filters, which i am also going to change as well as i just learned about that today from this site! My tank and Ms. Pringles have been awesome for a few months though...til now... now the new ones are driving me to drink!!! Hell, it was easier to raise kids!!! :(

Marie in Cali!

fishman
09-03-2005, 09:39 AM
is miss pringles and adult? if so, i wouldn't advise leaving her with very small discus. it is normal for them to hide for a day or so, are they eating? if not, take miss pringles out and try, if they still aren't, turn off the tank lights, see if they become a little less tense, and try some live food. as far as wether you got the right thing or not, post a link to the site, and the fish you were supposed to have gotton, then we can determine if you overlooked something perhaps. best of luck with your fish!

Kindredspirit
09-03-2005, 10:15 AM
Tyler! Thank you for replying! I do not know if Ms.Pringles is an adult, I got her from LFS...she looks the same size as they do! Which probably doesnt mean a thing! Tyler, i have no where to put her if i were to take her out! what if i purchase a 10gal tank , add some of this tank water when i do the water change and slap her in there? Whatcha think about that?? then maybe the others will come out! And no, they are not eating....they are doing better tho, than yesterday when i rec'vd them! Please let me know asap bout moving her to the 10gal tank ! thank you!! Marie!

ppv1951
09-03-2005, 11:00 AM
your new discus may take a couple days to settle down, but it always best to keep them alone or only with suitable tank mates. post a link to the site you bought them from and tell us which fish you bought. good luck!

pat

Kindredspirit
09-03-2005, 11:23 AM
Thanks Pat! I would rather not post a link to the site! I love the discus , and i am sure they are healthy, as i did check out his rep before purchasing! You guys here advocate his services. I just question the wisdom of his bedside manner with newbies such as myself, that was all! And the way they came shipped to me , i mean the Fed Ex driver had the box UPSIDE DOWN, he didnt know they were live product, as it didnt say! They were packed in with no heating pad, something that was cold, and the newspaper was all wet! No instructions inside or nothing! I was a little sad thats all. I read so many things on how discus are shipped: styrofoam, heating pads, and marked on the outside :LIVE PRODUCT.....and my box was torn and the corners were wet....I just expected so much more, probably my fault.

Marie!

john2gs
09-03-2005, 09:58 PM
Thanks Pat! I would rather not post a link to the site! I love the discus , and i am sure they are healthy, as i did check out his rep before purchasing! You guys here advocate his services. I just question the wisdom of his bedside manner with newbies such as myself, that was all! And the way they came shipped to me , i mean the Fed Ex driver had the box UPSIDE DOWN, he didnt know they were live product, as it didnt say! They were packed in with no heating pad, something that was cold, and the newspaper was all wet! No instructions inside or nothing! I was a little sad thats all. I read so many things on how discus are shipped: styrofoam, heating pads, and marked on the outside :LIVE PRODUCT.....and my box was torn and the corners were wet....I just expected so much more, probably my fault.

Marie!

maybe since it is summer.....the shipper didnt put heat pads.

I used heat packs before...when I shipped fish, but that was during winter season...just to make sure....the fish will not freeze...hehehe.

But if I will ship fish right now....I won't include heat packs as well. Unless the buyer will pay extra for the heat pads...and extra for the added weight.

Adding newspaper will help maintain the temperature....and not letting the cold air get in easily. Its a "cheaper" way for insulation. But during winter........newspaper as well as heat packs should be used.

Anyhow....the seller is right. The baby discus will be "colorless" and different compared to the adult color. But you will see them changing/transforming color...until they reach the adult color.....so just be patient. You pay less when you buy baby discus................and you pay MORE when you buy adult discus since the color is already out...

Well...just to make you feel better...........one of the baby discus i purchase a few months ago....took 2 weeks...before it started eating.

Sometimes.......it really depends on the discus "personality". Some adapt easily to the new environment....some doesnt.

Good luck! :)

Kindredspirit
09-04-2005, 02:43 AM
Thank you John!! Hey, i took out my first discus, as he was being a bully and put him in my 10gal tank....How long should i leave him there?? Should i put somebody wtih him?? Also , should a ten gal tank have air bubbles? Marie!

Dave C
09-04-2005, 09:52 AM
How big are these fish, in inches? If your current Discus is the same size as the new ones then you're in luck. If the new ones were adults, or much larger then the other fish you'd have potential problems. When buying Discus it's always a good idea to know the size of the fish you're buying. Rarely is the picture of the fish you're getting, it's just a representation of what the fish might grow up to look like. Simply removing the bully for a day and then returning it to the community tank could solve the problem, but I'd wait a few days. Air bubbles themselves are not important but some surface turbulence helps the oxygenation of the water. It depends on the filter being used. What filter is running the 10g tank? Is the media cycled or brand new? If you popped a new filter on the tank I'd monitor the amm/nit daily and return the fish to the other tank if it starts to creep up.

fishman
09-04-2005, 10:35 AM
marie, its good that the discus are relatively close in size. make sure you do frequent water changes, that will always boost your fish's health. keep the 10 gallon well oxygenated, just drop an airstone or something in it and the fish should be fine. it is also good to ask the seller what the fish were fed prior to you purchase, and try feeding that. i would leave the fish seperate until the others settle in good, don't worry too much if they don't eat for a while, worry after a couple weeks of fasting. they should do ok, keep us updated.

-tyler

Kindredspirit
09-04-2005, 12:56 PM
Tyler and Dave! Thank you for replying, i have not figured out how to reply individually to a person yet! I will drop an airstone in my 10gal tank, thanks! How long should i leave Ms. Pringles in the 10gal tank? and do you think i should take others out too? ..so the new discus can be alone? I have two guppies, one Dojo Eel and a tiny rainbow shark, oh and a tiny Angel, 30gal tank...Also since this site convinced me to not use carbon anymore, i purchased a bio-bag and put AC biomax, Filter insert in it...with me so far?? Gosh, i sound like you guys, like i know what i am doing! Anyways, I did this, guys on BOTH of my tanks yesterday....tell that is okay, i seen no difference and all is crystal clear.. but the media was not cycled obviously, on either...Gosh, hope i am okay here! I have been reading so much on this site, and i would juss die if one of my discus died , i would cry! over a fish??? Anyways, can i ask one more question, please? I also added the pre-sponge thingy on the intake thingy, i hope i got the right material, it is a AC filter insert foam....please dont give me that link, it was cool and all but i can not find the same material...it doesnt say it is a SPONGE, per se', i have it on there, guys it looks so big...is it the right material??? Thanks you two!!! Marie!

wolfbane
09-04-2005, 05:21 PM
I too use the AC sponges for a prefilter, I use the #50 for this in my smaller tanks. Works great, just remember to squeeze it out daily in a BB tank.

Kindredspirit
09-04-2005, 07:04 PM
Thank You! But this looks more like foam, than a sponge, same thing???

mattb
09-07-2005, 12:16 PM
Not sure you need this info now but it might help you and remove the need to read so much. This is what I learnt in the first few weeks

Sponge and foam = same thing.

An adult discus is about 5 inches plus depending on age.

Young discus need a long time, sometimes a month to get confidence and come out. If you add more discus add them in at least pairs as the others will bully the hell out of any new guys.

When they are black, it's bad they are stressed.

Keep your water clean and fresh.

Make sure you are adding air to the water

DO NOT MESS AROUND WITH YOUR WATER PARAMETERS it will stress your fish out.

Be patient, leave them alone

They will fight like little kids when they are less than four inches in size

You will lose one from bullying no matter what you do

Keep at least six to limit bullying and give them confidence.

What ever filter you have get a bigger one.

Learn about the water cycle it makes life so much easier.

Do not add medicines or chemicals, keep it simple.

Hope that helps

Matt