PDA

View Full Version : runts

cobaltblue
09-04-2005, 02:45 AM
Hello everyone, i have 6 juveniles that all came to my tank at the same time. I also have 2 adult 5in fish in a 90g tank. The smallest of the 6 isnt growing, and doesnt seem to be eating much, and is getting very skinny. Chest cavity looks somewhat collapsed. What is the best thing to do for this little guy?
Let survival of the fittest take it course, i dont have another tank to move him to, except a guppy\platy communtiy tank. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Chris

KIWI13
09-04-2005, 04:34 AM
Well if you want him to survive, I would move him. Be careful though, make sure your other tank has the same water parameters and temperature cause the slightest fluctuation in temp and he stand a high risk of falling ill cause he is weak.
I would try getting him a little 10 gallon where you can keep the temp up at around 32°c and keep it bare bottom and feed him small portions around 4 to 5 times a day at the very least, Add some salt to prevent any parasitic infections too. If you keep him with the other discus, he will tend to get picked on and won't eat too much either. Its always adivced to have a spare tank when housing discus. Hospital tanks are the fundamentals of discus keeping.

They serve as quarantine tanks, seperation tanks yadda yadda yadda.

So in the worst case put them in the platy tank BUT CONTROL YOUR WATER AND TEMP PARAMETRS

HTH

Jason

BoxerDad
09-04-2005, 11:11 AM
Net him and put him in your freezer. That's probably the best thing at this point. It may sound harsh but he probably will continue to waste away.

BoxerDad

cobaltblue
09-04-2005, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the tips. I will try the 10 g hospital tank first, as i do need to get a QT tank up and going. I dont like to cull a fish unless i feel there is no hope for it. Espcially when they were 50$ fish.

A hospital tank should have bare bottom, heater and sponge filter only right?
Do you still do a ton of water changes on a hospital tank?

Carol_Roberts
09-04-2005, 10:19 PM
You are probably going to have to treat with metronidazole and heat to get him eating. In which case you will be doing 50% daily water changes, raising temp to 92+ and dosing 2 or 3 times per day at 400 - 500 mg per 10 gallons for 5 days.

cobaltblue
09-05-2005, 01:55 AM
what is this treatment called at the lfs?? Would " Melafix" work? Im just learning about this stuff. thanks

sam_y
09-05-2005, 03:16 AM
Chris,

Melafix is a totally different med. If your LFS doesn't carry pure metro, try looking for "General Cure" from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. One of the active ingredients is metro. Good luck.

KIWI13
09-05-2005, 03:21 AM
Simply ask for metro or Flagyl

April
09-06-2005, 12:55 AM
metronidazole. fone glenn.or im him. .and ask him if he has any.i may have some..but dont think i do right now. he can get it from the wholesaler..or..king ed pets..has it..they have straight metro by seachem behind the counter.
thats the only thing that will help him. he;d need treating as carol suggested with 500 mg. per 10 gallons..and high heat until he begins eating.
stress usually brings it on. either from being bullied..water quality...or what have you. they all have flagellates..when they get stressed..they grow in numbers and they get a stomach infection.
a 10 gallon will work..but water doesnt stay good as easy ina 10 gallon. youd have to keep an eye on your water quality. you can always use a rubbermaid temporarily.

cobaltblue
09-07-2005, 06:55 PM
My little runt died today. May he rest in peace.