PDA

View Full Version : Planaria

traco
09-07-2005, 04:35 PM
A few people had mentioned they thought I might have planaria in my 90 due to my murky water. I have been feeding lots to help a few small ones gain some weight. Also treated with metro for hex.

I am doing daily water changes of about 60% to 70%. I see the little specks of planaria still. I have rinsed out both sponges in the tank with old tank water. I rinse my prefilter sponge also.

I guess with overfeeding is how I got these guys. I am feeding 5 times a day, one bloodworms or beefheart, flake foods, tetra bits. Cut down on the number of feedings? What about the little ones who are shy and pick away slowly at the food?

Wipe down the walls of the tank daily, clean filter sponges and in tank sponges. So this should help get rid of the planaria?

What should I be doing for adequate filtration for this 90 gallon? I have a hang on back filter that is rated for 70 gallons, a hydro IV and V sponge in tank.

Thanks.

Barb
What to do? :( :( :(

Carol_Roberts
09-07-2005, 04:56 PM
IF you wipe the glass walls down each day, rinse the prefilter, do daily water changes and keep the bottom siphoned of debris the planaria will gradually disappear. Planaria do not hurt the discus, but are a sign of too much "food" available in the tank

traco
09-07-2005, 07:16 PM
Thanks, Carol.

I got discouraged when I saw these guys. Have not been wiping down the walls each day when doing a water change and have been feeding too much. So new people, benefit from my mistakes. :) First I wasn't feeding enough worrying about fouling the water, then some of the fish weren't growing the same rate as others so upped the feeding. Now too much feeding and planaria shows up.

There sure is a fine line with feeding. One day I hope to find it! :D

Barb

Carol_Roberts
09-07-2005, 08:10 PM
You will - it just takes time to get it all figured out.