PDA

View Full Version : Heater question?

BIGFOOT
09-09-2005, 05:27 PM
Can i get by with a single Pro Heat 2 - 350 watts on a 125 gal tank?
And still be able to 90 degrees. Also has anybody had promblems with this heater.

Bainbridge Mike
09-09-2005, 06:22 PM
I've had a won brothers 350 W on my 75 gal tank for the last few months and it has operated flawlessly. However, I have heard from several people who have had problems with them. I think the 350W is too small for a 125--unless the room where you keep the tank stays really warm all the time. I'd probably want about 500 watts.

Good luck,

Mike

cowboy steve
09-10-2005, 12:03 PM
Can i get by with a single Pro Heat 2 - 350 watts on a 125 gal tank?
And still be able to 90 degrees. Also has anybody had promblems with this heater.

It seems to be the case with heaters, more so than other pieces of equipment, that for every positive comment someone makes about a particular brand, there will be a negative one to accompany it.

It is nearly impossible to arrive at a consensus regarding heaters.

Another solution would be to use two heaters, you can take Mike's advice on the wattage -500, and get two 250's, or a 150 and the 350 you have.

But then you run into a synchronization problem, you have to try and adjust each heater independently to maintain a stable temperature.

Which you can solve by putting them on a temperature controller.

Willie
09-10-2005, 12:46 PM
For tanks over 40 gal, two heaters are highly recommended. For a 125, I'd go with three smaller capacity heaters. The amount of water is such that the heaters are not going to blink on and off if all three are not perfectly synchronized.

Don't worry about getting to 90F. It would make no sense to do so in a 125. If a fish is sick, set up a 15 - 20 gal quarantine tank and get a titanium heater that can bring the temperature up to 93F for treatment.

Willie

BIGFOOT
09-11-2005, 02:25 PM
For tanks over 40 gal, two heaters are highly recommended. For a 125, I'd go with three smaller capacity heaters. The amount of water is such that the heaters are not going to blink on and off if all three are not perfectly synchronized.

Don't worry about getting to 90F. It would make no sense to do so in a 125. If a fish is sick, set up a 15 - 20 gal quarantine tank and get a titanium heater that can bring the temperature up to 93F for treatment.

Willie

Hi Willie

I am just starting off with discus for the 3rd time. I have alway killed them. I think after reading some of the other post the reasons for defeat was instable ph. I was trying to get the perfect number. My concern now is heat beacause i just have one tank for now anyway He he. And if the new fish are sick when i got them i would have to treat in this tank. So i think i would be better off prepared than not what do you think.

Carol_Roberts
09-11-2005, 09:31 PM
The problem with one heater is that when it dies the tank temp drops to room temp pretty quickly. My pro heats have only lasted about 18 months . . .

BIGFOOT
09-12-2005, 06:29 AM
18 months that not good for 40.00 dollars.