PDA

View Full Version : Twitching - then a knock out

markwill
09-11-2005, 12:22 AM
Well, having got some discus to the egg stage about 15 years ago (never got wrigglers) I thought I might remember the initial signs for an "interested" fish. But now I am not so sure...

I introduced a lovely Red Melon into my tank a couple of weeks ago. S/he (I'll go with "she" since it just seems to fit - we call her Sunny!) is doing fine and today - after a water change - noticed that she was "twitching" and pecking at a part of a piece of artifical driftwood. However, I didn't notice any obvious "target" for this behavior so I thought I'd just wait and see.

Anyway, about 10 mins later I heard this dull thud (dashing around the tank). I looked around and noticed that Sunny was flat on her side and I saw no movement at all (fins, gills, etc). I thought she was dead. Then about 20 seconds later her gills were moving and about a minute later she came upright and slowly started to move around. 5 mins later it was if nothing had happened. She has no marks whatsoever that I can see. And she's twitching again...

Anyone have any idea what's happening. She is eating and swimming around as if she is very healthy.

Thanks.

Mark

Carol_Roberts
09-11-2005, 09:37 PM
hard to say what the "teenagers" are up to ;)

markwill
09-11-2005, 10:49 PM
hard to say what the "teenagers" are up to ;)
Thanks Carol. Am I to take it that a discus apparently knocking himself out (to the extent that there is no movement whatsoever, not even at the gills) isn't particularly unusual?

Mark

Carol_Roberts
09-12-2005, 04:20 PM
It's not common, but I have seen them get startled and bounce off the walls or lid haard enough to know themselves out for oa second.