PDA

View Full Version : prazipro dosing schedule

onin2
09-12-2005, 12:58 AM
dosed 7 4' discus with prazipro this morning ( 2 were spitting food and in hiding) tonite one of the sick ones is passing white crap which i get from the forum are dead worms. i was going to treat again on thursday, is this good and how many treatments are neccessary. any help with a dosing schedule would be appreciated. is prazipro good as a preventative used once a month, every few months. thanks jim from queens

ShinShin
09-15-2005, 08:40 PM
Are you sure it was a tapeworm you were seeing? The spitting out of the food and hiding are not tapeworm symptoms. Discus infected with tapeworms are generally otherwise healthy as it takes a healthy discus to allow tapeworms to survive. Tapeworms will actually leave an unhealthy fish. Your discus would also be eating ravenously as the tapeorm steals the nutrients for its own survival. Your discus will not grow well either.

Carol_Roberts
09-16-2005, 04:55 PM
Go to www.discusnada.org and click on "Help My Discus Is Sick" and read about intestinal flagellettes

onin2
09-17-2005, 01:18 AM
thank u both for taking the time to help me out, i'm an experienced fishkeeper but this is my first try at discus. shinshin u are right, after seeing the pictures of tapeworm what my fish passed was not one.it also did not look like the picture of flagelletes, it was thicker and i think it was the same as carol's picture of the fish with internal bacterial infection. havent seen much improvement with the prazipro so maybe i will try the formalin as carol suggests. i'm a little worried about its effect on the bioligical filter, have 2 canister filters on the tank. have to do more water changes for a while i guess. 7 fish only one sick( a red melon) but i will treat them all as soon as i get some formalin. i think u both have set me on the right road i guess i may as well order some metro as well, get together a little medical kit. carol those pics were very helpful thanks again jim from queens

onin2
09-17-2005, 11:46 AM
ordered formalin no problem, wanted to get some metro seems like i should have some on hand, but both pet place & drs foster & smith said the product was discontinued. any suggestions where i can get some thanks jim from queens

ShinShin
09-18-2005, 12:38 AM
Many times gelatinous feces is mistaken for hex infestation to one with little experience with diagnosing when it very well could be bacterial. This is why one ought to have a simple microscope on hand. Metro will kill certain anaerobic bacteria as well as flagellates.

onin2
09-18-2005, 11:32 AM
saw jack wattley speak at my local fish club 2 weeks ago and he also reccomended having a microscope so you are in good company shinshin thanks for your help