PDA

View Full Version : ich or ick i think

jamie sutherland
09-14-2005, 06:56 PM
along with the eye problems i have noticed that two discus have what i think is ich or ick whichever one. need help fast look under help eye problems for more information.

jamie sutherland
09-14-2005, 08:08 PM
only thing i have is copper safe from mardel
is this ok please help fast

Carol_Roberts
09-15-2005, 04:30 PM
What is your tank temp? PUtting it up to 88 should kill ick. You can use coppersafe, but I don't know the dosage - doesn't it say on the bottle? Look at Mardels website - maybe they have directions there.

ps. Next time put all information on illnesses in one post or at least reply to your original thread instead of starting three threads. We need to see all the problems rather than think it's different people/fish ;)

jamie sutherland
09-15-2005, 04:57 PM
ok thanx

ShinShin
09-15-2005, 08:17 PM
Are you sure its ich? Ich ought never be a problem in a discus tank because of the temperature of the water. Use malachite green along with formalin. There are several products available which contain both. Malachite green sold by itself is hard to find these days since California declared it a carcinogen.

jamie sutherland
09-15-2005, 09:05 PM
came home today and i couldnt see the ich maybe i was just seein somethin in the water and i raised the temp a little

KIWI13
09-19-2005, 05:17 AM
The white spot ( cyst ) is the last stage of the parasite before it falls off the fish and attaches itself to the deco or plants where it forms a capsule around itself and its starts to devide creating thousands of tomites which hatch, latch onto a fish, burrow under its skin and start the whole cycle again. That is why you need to destroy them in the free swimming stage. So if there is nothing on your fish, it doesnt mean that you have irradicated ich. It takes a good 2 weeks of treatment at the very least to say you got them all and even then there is always some lurking in your tank but once your fish are treated and cured they tend to build an immunity to them.

HTH.

Continue treatment and salt does wonders too. It dehydrates the cell causing it to pop killing the parasite. its a natural treatment and takes a while.

Jason

ShinShin
10-04-2005, 11:30 PM
If you didn't see the ich, it probabally wasn't ich. I think many misdiagnose this particular parasite.