PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok not to feed discus for 8 days ?

tbkhai
09-14-2005, 10:36 PM
hi there
i just wondering what should i do ...i have to go for vacation for almost 8 days....can they still survive without feeding ?
thnakyou

Bainbridge Mike
09-14-2005, 11:47 PM
You should get an eheim autofeeder (about $40). Make sure and get it a few days before you leave so you can mess around with it and get the right amount of food to dispense. If your fish are healthy adults, 8 days is not a big deal--but if they are little ones it is better to keep them eating.

Best of Luck,
Mike

tbkhai
09-14-2005, 11:53 PM
thankyou..

JimmyL
09-15-2005, 09:35 AM
8 days without food is nothing for an adult discus. Keep the water clean while you're away. They may pair up and lay eggs while you're away. Juveniles may suffer a little bit but they can tolerate it without any concern of stunting. They are not sick but simply hungry. No ill effect once feeding is resume. Just close the door and enjoy the holiday. Imports may suffer 3-4 days without food before shipping and at least another 3-4 days of acclimitization before eating properly in their final destination. Don't worry!
Jimmy

ppv1951
09-15-2005, 12:19 PM
auto feeders are good, but make sure your fish will take the food you put in them first. the fish can survive 8 days. ever think about hiring a neighbor kid to feed and do water changes? or, finding another aquarist in the area and swap favors when his vacation comes up?

pat.