PDA

View Full Version : update

Spices
09-17-2005, 11:31 PM
Been a while... but here goes the update.

Spices
09-17-2005, 11:35 PM
the threesome quarreling angels...lady blondie has her pulva (sp?) exposed and ready to lay eggs. Male guarding the area...

Spices
09-17-2005, 11:38 PM
note the on-going guarding of the filter tube and plants in the center of the tank (by the angels)...

all angels on the right side of tank and others are on the left side (nearer to camera shot). been this way for about three weeks now. probably will have eggs tomorrow.

Spices
09-17-2005, 11:41 PM
og or bd... but sweet still.

traco
09-18-2005, 12:23 AM
Is that a german blue ram I see in the last pic? Been looking into these guys but my PH is 7.6ish. Not looking at breeding so PH isn't that big a factor? How does everyone get along? I figure if a person can keep discus, the german blues aren't that hard either? I know water conditions are a big thing with these guys also; just like discus. Any info would be great.

Barb

Spices
09-18-2005, 04:14 AM
Is that a german blue ram I see in the last pic? Barb
Yes it is.

Been looking into these guys but my PH is 7.6ish. Not looking at breeding so PH isn't that big a factor? Barb
My pH was last tested at 7.0. I make water changes daily if the pH goes above 8.0. Keep this in mind. They don't mind this as a temporary event. But you want to be sure not to lower it too much (below 5.0 means itchy itchy skin and you can tell...just dip your hand in the water. If the water itches your skin (like wool) then it's time for a water change). Temperatures also play a big part in the spawning. What temps are you keeping?

How does everyone get along? Barb
With the exception of spawning, everyone gets along well together. They are at matured level. The German Blue Ram is due a date. Will be looking to get him/her a date soon.

I figure if a person can keep discus, the german blues aren't that hard either? I know water conditions are a big thing with these guys also; just like discus. Any info would be great. Barb
Nope.

I know water conditions are a big thing with these guys also; just like discus. Any info would be great. Barb
Water is soft (natural driftwood helps soften the water). Like I have mentioned above, keep the pH anywhere from 6.0 to about 8.0 and you have no problem with keeping these tropical fish. The plants absorbs the ammonia/nitrogen from fish wastes. I only dose with a mixture of vitamins every now and then for plant tissue growth. It doesn't hurt the fish.

I hope I covered your inquiries.

AADiscus
09-18-2005, 09:15 AM
Looking good Spices. I especially like your BD. Good shape and great fins. All look very happy. Keep smiling!

ppv1951
09-23-2005, 07:33 PM
ALL nice looking fish!

pat.

Wahter
09-24-2005, 12:34 PM
the threesome quarreling angels...lady blondie has her pulva (sp?) exposed and ready to lay eggs. Male guarding the area...

What the heck is a "pulva"?

Spices
09-25-2005, 12:08 AM
Thanks AAdiscus & Pat!!! ;)

You're right...they're all are happy. But I think getting them a larger tank will really make them go bonkers. It's in the plan.

Walter, I forgot how to spell out the word. Once I get home and look it up in these Bernd Degen books I have I'll let you know what I mean. But they are the female spawning tubes that I'm referring to. So far I see no eggs but then again I haven't been around when things do get heated up. I'll get back to you on that. Or you can ask Carol. She will definitely know what I mean. ;)

Inspiration came from many of your folks in the forum so a big high five to you all.

:bandana:

Angie

Wahter
09-26-2005, 10:42 PM
Angie, are you thinking of the word "ovipositor"? How did you get "pulva" from that? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Spices
09-27-2005, 09:28 AM
Angie, are you thinking of the word "ovipositor"? How did you get "pulva" from that? :confused: :confused: :confused:

:wasntme: Could have been the bad cup of coffee I had :spit:
All I remembered was the letters p-v-o in it but figured a u was in it too. :D LOL

Thanks! :antlers:

P.S. No eggs as of yet! What's up with that. Darn those angels take a long time.

jeep
09-27-2005, 10:51 AM
Or you've been watching too much Seinfeld :D

ping
09-27-2005, 12:36 PM
Hi Angie,

Looking good :). Tanks are getting crowded :D. So, have plan for second one ? :)

Regards,
Ronny

Spices
09-29-2005, 09:00 AM
Seinfeld???? Brian, would you believe it if I told you that I never even once saw the show? :D I just heard of him when the program was done with and everyone in the office talked about it. Oh, well. I'll try to catch the re-runs when I can. :D Bummer...

Hey Ronnie, I keep one tank running. The others are not up. One tank under the big one is my daughter's. Two one-tens are supposed to arrive (brand new from company). The tank you see is not crowded. You know how much I miss my full crowded tank..I long for it. But I'm working to establish just that. Unless that is if these guys would stop eating the eggs (frybabies)!!! :mad: That's all they care about.

Here...see for yourself in whole view. I cleaned up a big. Took more substrate out. I'm working on getting the foundation for stones encircling the plants in some substrate but not much. While the outer areas are bare and opened.

:bandana:

Take care....

Angie
;)

Spices
09-29-2005, 09:04 AM
This is a better view of the centerpiece, I hope. I gotta do something about those pipes of the Vortex. They're blocking the view. I can't yet put it behind tank because it's occupied by a shelving unit. It's not on and usually I use it maybe three times in a week and then shut it down but I never remove the water. :D I ought to because it is foul when it comes down to cleaning the Vortex unit. pewwww....needs bleaching.

Spices
09-29-2005, 09:12 AM
Last one...and this one is a flash special. My funky camera flashes when it wants to. :D I gotta get a camera that really works.

Enjoy!!

aloha_discus
09-29-2005, 09:41 AM
Beautiful Angie.

Ike

KIWI13
09-29-2005, 10:36 AM
Angie Dear, I think I'm missing something here,

I could have sworn you had more fish in that tank and I could have sworn that tank was much bigger..... :confused:

I remember that beautiful vid of yours. Did you down size your fish population ??

jason :)

discusboy777
09-29-2005, 02:39 PM
What a nice collection of discus you have there ang.

Brad.
ps i love the ram

Spices
09-30-2005, 10:55 PM
Thanks!!! ;)

The hard work paid off. I wanted to create the scene for a centerpiece floral/rock garden creation. I think they all like it. They seem to pry towards the center and either side of the centerpiece. --angie--

Spices
10-01-2005, 10:27 PM
:angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?p=255197#post255197

dhags
10-03-2005, 08:28 PM
very nice i like! :D