PDA

View Full Version : I need suggestions for keeping discus

LoveFish
09-18-2005, 11:01 AM
Hi
Recently a disease outbreak wiped out my entire stock of discus (9 of them) except this single juvenile thats around. Im not giving up on keeping them so Id like some suggestions regarding stocking.
Ive included my tank details below .. what would you suggest I keep/remove and any other changes ?
Ive removed carbon from the filter since i read it was responsible for discus diseases.

I have :
90g planted community tank
4 congo tetras
6 neon tetras
2 red eye tetras
1 betta
2 German Rams
2 australian rainbows
2 Boesemani Rainbows
2 albino Corys
1 JUVENILE discus

Greg Richardson
09-18-2005, 12:06 PM
What is your temperature? I ask because usally neon tetra's won't last in discus tank.
Gravel planted tank?
Lot of fish in there.
What was your wc schedule?

LoveFish
09-20-2005, 11:14 AM
Hi
My temp is at a constant 30C/86F
My bottom is a layer of peat, humus, fertilizer and then gravel substrate for the plants.

And WC : 30-40% every 3 days

cobaltblue
09-20-2005, 01:05 PM
I have a planted 90g tank as well, and i have found that i need to do water changes of 40-50% almost daily. ( sometimes i let it go 2 days) Water changes are the most important part of the whole thing. Thats alot of different fish in there, i just went with cardinals as they can take the heat better than neons and most other tetras. Its good to see you havnt given up on discus though, they are alot of fun once you get used to what they like.
Alot of people will tell you to go barebottom, but i know that is not so desirable in a show tank. I am in the process of taking all my gravel out, and
putting in planted pots (terracotta) plus i now have java fern growing on two big pieces of driftwood. Still looks nice, and you can keep the tank much cleaner. :) :) :)

Cheers

Carol_Roberts
09-20-2005, 05:44 PM
The most successful way to grow out a group of juveniles is in a bare bottom tank that is 55 gallons or larger. I only keep discus with discus.