PDA

View Full Version : Black Discus?

Alight
09-18-2005, 03:45 PM
I did a search and only found one post on black discus. Have Black Discus been produced as a strain? Do some of you have pics have mostly black discus?

Jason
09-18-2005, 05:51 PM
I've never seen a full Black discus, over the years I have seen many discus with black patches and marbeling on the bodies but not full black.

I know of 1 breeder in Penang who is trying to fix the black blotches pattern and is having some sucess.

Alight
09-18-2005, 05:54 PM
I have a 4 inch juvi that is almost all black. Some dark blue near the top, and a little bit of orange near the bottom is all the other colors it has. I'll post a picture soon.

Carol_Roberts
09-19-2005, 04:53 PM
I'd like to see it - I think an all black discus would be very interesting.

Alight
09-23-2005, 09:49 PM
Black-Discus-1-for-web.jpg

OK, I'll try to load up a couple of pictures (tough to get this one to sit still when its not looking straight at me trying to get me to feed it).

Hopefully this will work.

Sorry this comes at a time when someone has a black discus that is black because its sick. This one is black because its its normal color!

Alight
09-23-2005, 09:54 PM
Pigeon-and-Black-Discus-2-f.jpg

Another picture with one of the Royal Pigeons so you can compare colors.

I don't know the sex of the black one, but I'm guessing it's a male since it hasn't paired up with any of the others and I know at least one of the fish in the tank is a male as it has spawned with another Discus I have.

nacra99
09-25-2005, 08:09 AM
It looks like a seriously peppered PB. It might be possible to breed for the "pepper" trait and eventually end up with a totally black discus.

Jason
09-25-2005, 03:49 PM
If you take a look at that PB its not hard to imagine what the first ones looked like and how exciting it would be to breed away the black dust and show the bright colours underneath.

Thats a neat throwback, thanks for sharing.

Alight
09-25-2005, 08:59 PM
Black-Discus-flash-for-web.jpg

Here another picture taken with a flash. The white seems to "sparkle" in some areas with the flash, but it's not really like that with normal light.

It does appear to have some pigeon blood in it, but also some blue of some sort, as you can tell in this flash photo.

The black is really a nice velvet black which would look good if the whole fish was black, and maybe some dark blue fins to go with it.

A red eye would also be nice.

KIWI13
09-26-2005, 09:22 AM
Well you've got a nice fish to work with. Try finding some specimens like it to breed with. Why not after all everything is possible. I could see myself buying some black discus ;)

Jason