PDA

View Full Version : TS Rita- Galveston alert, Houston too

wolfbane
09-19-2005, 02:54 PM
A voluntary evacuation was just called for by the mayor of Galveston, it seems our guardian angel is leaving us and Rita has a good chance to come visit.

shyvtguy
09-19-2005, 08:00 PM
I just moved from florida to houston....I thought i wouldn't have to run from a hurricane this year..... Maybe i was wrong... :(

wolfbane
09-19-2005, 09:54 PM
Hey guy! here's hoping Rita goes elsewhere, but the weather fellas are getting concerned. We'll know more by Wednesday. BTW, depending which side you are on, you may be safe .

Spices
09-19-2005, 10:48 PM
A voluntary evacuation was just called for by the mayor of Galveston, it seems our guardian angel is leaving us and Rita has a good chance to come visit.

Take heed, and radio supplies, antibiotics & antiseptic supplies, drinks, snacks, photos and whatelse more...I would take this very seriously. Rita is doing much like what Katrina started off being...a slow paced cat.1 storm. The rest is historically fixed in our minds (8.28.05 Katrina cat.5 wiped out towns in the Gulf coast region).

Good luck.

shyvtguy
09-19-2005, 11:48 PM
Hey guy! here's hoping Rita goes elsewhere, but the weather fellas are getting concerned. We'll know more by Wednesday. BTW, depending which side you are on, you may be safe .

Im on the northwest side just outside of jersey village. Good luck to you wolf....I was reading somewhere if we get a cat 4 or 5 the southeast part of town is gonna have it rough

wolfbane
09-20-2005, 11:57 AM
Getting supplies ready for the storm, getting the animals ready to weather it through too. My one concern is my horse, she is in a pasture with an old barn, that barn has weathered several big hurricanes, hope it does one more.

The discus should be fine, only have the one big 150 gal tank. Can always not feed for a bit to keep water quality better. Hope we get missed, but the predictions are for this area to take the hit.

If this thing gets bigger than a 3, we are so outta here!

shyvtguy
09-20-2005, 12:55 PM
Wolf,

Good luck to you, your family, and your horse. Hopefully it doesn't come here and we just enjoy a quiet weekend in htown.

Spices
09-20-2005, 04:10 PM
Same here. Good luck.

As of this morning of Wednesday, 9.21.05, the target will be TX!! And maybe a category 5!!! If you're reading this post and you're in Rita's path, you need to be hauling out from where you're at. Head North, far North. This Rita may be the catastrophe like 1900 Sept. 19th (Hurricane Carla).

Really, head out. Get your neighbors and head out.

Again, best of luck.

shyvtguy
09-21-2005, 09:41 PM
Hopefully my fish will live. I just bought a power inverter and a jumbo boat battery to power my airpump. What is everybody else doing?

wolfbane
09-21-2005, 10:53 PM
Hey Guy! We are staying and hunkering down. The discus will be fine I bet. I put down the sick one in my hospital tank, knew he wasn't long for this world, and couldn't take care of him if the power goes out. We will board up tommorrow, hope you are well stocked and secure at your place, I will post here til the power goes out, hope for the best. Freeway was a parking lot tonight, I can see the beltway from my window. its taking hours just to get a few miles. So, we stay, would rather stay here than get caught in that mess, or maybe even the storm. No hotels are available, and I have 2 dogs and 2 cats inside here.

I'll try to post again when Roadrunner and the power are back up, pray for us pls. One thing for sure, it'll be a wild ride!

shyvtguy
09-21-2005, 11:21 PM
good luck...i'm leaving at 2am hopefully the roads will clear somewhat

cobaltblue
09-22-2005, 02:01 AM
My prayers are with all the people in the path of this storm. May god protect you and your loved ones....

Chris

Spices
09-22-2005, 05:38 AM
Hopefully my fish will live. I just bought a power inverter and a jumbo boat battery to power my airpump. What is everybody else doing?

Guys...and Dolls of the discus fish world:
This is serious. Just pack those fish in buckets with all personal items and haul western, north. Galveston is next to Houston which i hear there is no mountain to ward of the oncoming waters!! Water damage is destructive and causes fires as we all are aware of.

It's not looking pretty this morning (Thursday). You still have time to haul out. Please heed those warnings. Just because they say for Galveston or other places it doesn't mean it won't blow your way near the areas...

Please, really, be safe and smart.

No scare tactic intended, sorry, but ...I'm just being cautious. Besides we need more pretty (breeders') discus. ;)

Regards,
Angie

Terrybo
09-22-2005, 02:02 PM
Only a discuskeeper would consider massive water changes as part of hurricane preparation. All the stores were out of battery operated air pumps, so I'm doing water changes today and then I guess I'll have to rely on hydrogen peroxide. And as soon as I know I'll have an address to ship them to I will order battery operated air pumps!

Terry

wolfbane
09-22-2005, 02:10 PM
Oh Terry!! Made me laugh, going to do the water change this evening! Then probably not feed 'til all has blown over. We just finished boarding up Mom's place, about to start on our own. It's so hot today. Talked to all my 3 daughters, 2 are stuck in stand-still traffic near Rosenburg, the third is slowly crawling up and east side roadway, with 3 kids. Took 'em 3 hrs to go 16 miles. Hubby and I will remin here, taking in his Mom who didn't want to leave.

Stay safe, everyone.

wvt9527
09-22-2005, 05:39 PM
Its just another lovely day in Houston.
At least Rita has decided to make that north easterly turn.
So we will only get the not so clean side of her. But its better then the dirty side.