PDA

View Full Version : Few Dumb Questions...pl dont laugh!! (Jason..!)

Kindredspirit
09-20-2005, 07:28 PM
First.. i have a Blue Cobolt I purchased from Cary and i love him... he is dark...and when he came is was black! Stress and all....but i swear he is always black!! Will he eventually turn that awesome color?? I often think he is sick...but he isnt...

Second....If you have a tank that is cycled and been up a while with fish, and on and on...it is my hospital tank...10gal...if you were to take all the fish out...and just leave it for emergencies....would that like 'uncycle' it?? I know...really dumb...and can or should i do that??

Third...i have bio-media stuff in my filter, how often do i replace that?? The instructions say every three months, but rinse in tank water once a month...do you guys agree??

and i already posted this in the water section, but my tank is usually crystal clear....but it is a little hazy...and that bugs me.... not over feeding, BB, 30 gal, 4 discus, little ones, pre-filter, wc/every day, and so on...

any suggestions??

Thanks,

Marie!

cowboy steve
09-20-2005, 08:25 PM
First.. i have a Blue Cobolt I purchased from Cary and i love him... he is dark...and when he came is was black! Stress and all....but i swear he is always black!! Will he eventually turn that awesome color?? I often think he is sick...but he isnt...

Second....If you have a tank that is cycled and been up a while with fish, and on and on...it is my hospital tank...10gal...if you were to take all the fish out...and just leave it for emergencies....would that like 'uncycle' it?? I know...really dumb...and can or should i do that??

Third...i have bio-media stuff in my filter, how often do i replace that?? The instructions say every three months, but rinse in tank water once a month...do you guys agree??

and i already posted this in the water section, but my tank is usually crystal clear....but it is a little hazy...and that bugs me.... not over feeding, BB, 30 gal, 4 discus, little ones, pre-filter, wc/every day, and so on...

any suggestions??

Thanks,

Marie!
From the top, you can feed the bio-colony with pure ammonia, it has to be unscented,etc, pure.

You can pour that in an empty tank, with no fish, and that will keep the bio-colony alive so you can add a fish when neccissary.

DO NOT REPLACE your Bio-media, I don't know what kind of filter you have, but the bio-media in most is simply an inert substance, it's surface area is used to host the bacteria colony, it may get discolored, but it will not go bad.

I you replace it, you lose all the bacteria living on it, which is a bad thing.

If there is a lot of solid sludge in there, take some water from a water change and rinse it to get the solids out.

Don't try to clean them, do not use tap water.

Kindredspirit
09-20-2005, 08:37 PM
Thank You Again, Cowboy!!

Okay..i got it....so the media filter, in my bio bag, in my Peguin Bio Wheel, 150, NEVER needs to be replaced?? only, rinse with tank water during w/c...do i have that right, Steve?? :confused:

What about the bio-bag? can i replace that?? it gets kinda torn and holey (sp)...and just pour old media in the new bio-bag??

Thanks again, Steve!

Marie! :D

traco
09-20-2005, 09:20 PM
Hi Marie

No such thing as dumb questions. I took out everything that was inside my Penguin and have just put sponges in there also which are rinsed in tank water when doing water changes.

What do you use for filtration on your 10 gallon? You could keep that running on your big tank and when needed, just switch back over to the 10 gallon.

I've got a blue cobalt also which is about 3" and he is starting to get his blue color slowly but no black. My little turq who is stunted cuz of my not feeding enough in the beginning does turn black due to stress. Kind of the canary of the tank for me.

I also ran into the milky looking water and my tank was cycled also. Mine has finally cleared up. I have the Penguin 300(?) and two hydro sponge filters, a IV and V. I was told to put another sponge filter in there which I did today but now it looks really crowded; not sure I'll keep it.
Do you just have the Penguin running on your 30 gallon? Maybe a sponge filter will help, it definately won't hurt. Better to overfilter than underfilter somone once told me.

Good luck.

Barb

cowboy steve
09-20-2005, 09:55 PM
Thank You Again, Cowboy!!

Okay..i got it....so the media filter, in my bio bag, in my Peguin Bio Wheel, 150, NEVER needs to be replaced?? only, rinse with tank water during w/c...do i have that right, Steve?? :confused:

What about the bio-bag? can i replace that?? it gets kinda torn and holey (sp)...and just pour old media in the new bio-bag??

Thanks again, Steve!

Marie! :D

I have the same filter on my 10 gallon Dwarf Puffer tank, the wheel does not need to be rinsed, it is supposed to get all discolored.

If you are doing maintainance on the filter, float the wheel in the tank so it doesn't dry out.

What's in the bag?

Adding a sponge filter is a good idea, they are pretty cheap, and you can stack multiple sponges, you could take some off and put them in a new tank and not have to cycle it.

Kindredspirit
09-20-2005, 10:49 PM
Steve/Barb~

Okay, guys.. I switched from carbon, got rid of all that cuz i was told to on here... and to get Aqua Clear filter insert.. little tiny white stones...i poured them into bio-bags...that is what i use now.. on both tanks in the filter...I was going to add sponges too, but there just isnt room, guys!! I do have a pre filters over my intake on both tanks.. per Carol...

So ya think i could take all this filter insert stones all back and just get sponges?? any kind?? and this may be silly, but what is the point of the pre-filter sponge over the intake filters in the tank?? I see no purpose...i am sure there is one and i will continue to use it...juss wondering...

So.. when i go to ALL sponges, do i rinse and squeeze them in tank water every wc??? or no......

Thanks Barb re the info on the Cobolt...at times i can see so much blue under the lights....very cool!!

okay...Well....I could write a book with what i know now!!

thank you both!!

Marie!

cowboy steve
09-21-2005, 12:16 AM
Steve/Barb~

Okay, guys.. I switched from carbon, got rid of all that cuz i was told to on here... and to get Aqua Clear filter insert.. little tiny white stones...i poured them into bio-bags...that is what i use now.. on both tanks in the filter...I was going to add sponges too, but there just isnt room, guys!! I do have a pre filters over my intake on both tanks.. per Carol...

So ya think i could take all this filter insert stones all back and just get sponges?? any kind?? and this may be silly, but what is the point of the pre-filter sponge over the intake filters in the tank?? I see no purpose...i am sure there is one and i will continue to use it...juss wondering...

So.. when i go to ALL sponges, do i rinse and squeeze them in tank water every wc??? or no......

Thanks Barb re the info on the Cobolt...at times i can see so much blue under the lights....very cool!!

okay...Well....I could write a book with what i know now!!

thank you both!!

Marie!
No, keep what you have in the filter.

We mean sponge filters.

Look at any pictures on this forum, they are round and black and sit on the bottom of the tank, and are connected to an air pump.

Like this, look on any fish supply website, they are stackable, and come in many differant sizes.

Your LFS has some.

http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/1121/20011031005036/www.drsfostersmith.com/images/products/large/pw_960312.jpg

The Penguin filter has a small chamber, larger models like Aquaclears can be crammed with sponges.

I use the same Penguin on a ten gallon that you have on a thirty.

Is it overkill, yes, but you are never sorry for overfiltering.

Another example, my 55 has a 500 g.p.h wet/dry, three gallons of bio-media, and I run a Magnum H.O.T. with a micron cartridge.

cobaltblue
09-21-2005, 02:22 AM
since we are on the topic of filters, in my hosp\qt tank i just set up, i have an aquaclear 50. What should i use in the filter. Right now i have sponge, zeocarb, and bio. Should i take the zeo carb out or is it ok? I have two new discus that i just brought home today in there right now. I have them in
qt for 4-6 weeks before they go into my 90g. I also have a hydrosponge filter V in there going . Someone once told me i dont need any type of carbon..dont know if that is true.

thanks

Kindredspirit
09-21-2005, 07:23 AM
Steve!

Okay, i have seen those! connect to an air pump?? I have a long air thingy on the bottom back wall that bubbles come from....and go up...

So...if i get one of these, connect it to that?? or get another air pump??? And why this sponge filter IN the tank?? Cuz ... babe I dont have much room as you know....

And YES Steve! The penguin does have a small chamber next to the big one where the large square media filter and biobag sit..and I WAS going to cram some sponges in there at one time, but decided i better not.. So.. it is okay to do that?? Any kind of filter sponges, right?? What about the ones that i use over my intake filter inside??? Cuz i have a lot of those.....

please make me uderstand the necessity for all this sponges!!! I know itz a good thing, but explain....???

Thank You So Much, Steve!!

Marie!

Kindredspirit
09-21-2005, 07:34 AM
Okay, Steven....

I swear I am going to be as good as you! So, bear with me....you have MY filter on your 10gal tank?? *******...

So...if you were me....i should put my peguin 150, on my 10gal tank, and get what for this 30??

Hopefully you will answer me before i head to petsmart today!! like around 9am Cali time...whatcha think??

Steve, and do i need another air pump?? for the spongefilter i am gonna buy??

oh..and what kind of sponges to buy?? for the little chamber in my penguin??? please tell me i can use some fluval sponges that i use over my intake...have oodles....

and....... dayum, i was gonna ask you something important.....oh yeah, thank you so much for incl that picture of that sponge filter! Very helpful, Steve!! Tell me, and no chuckling, when i connect that to the air pump, am i going to have like bubbles flowing up??? cuz i have lots of bubbles right now....okay...

wake up!!!! hell, you are three hours ahead of me yes????

I hope you are not sick of me bugging you cuz....

Marie!!

cowboy steve
09-21-2005, 09:56 AM
since we are on the topic of filters, in my hosp\qt tank i just set up, i have an aquaclear 50. What should i use in the filter. Right now i have sponge, zeocarb, and bio. Should i take the zeo carb out or is it ok? I have two new discus that i just brought home today in there right now. I have them in
qt for 4-6 weeks before they go into my 90g. I also have a hydrosponge filter V in there going . Someone once told me i dont need any type of carbon..dont know if that is true.

thanks
The consensus seems to be that carbon does more harm than good, it removes thing you want, and once it wears out, it can re-release what it filtered out back into the tank.

Tke it out, add more bio.

cowboy steve
09-21-2005, 10:04 AM
Steve!

Okay, i have seen those! connect to an air pump?? I have a long air thingy on the bottom back wall that bubbles come from....and go up...

So...if i get one of these, connect it to that?? or get another air pump??? And why this sponge filter IN the tank?? Cuz ... babe I dont have much room as you know....

And YES Steve! The penguin does have a small chamber next to the big one where the large square media filter and biobag sit..and I WAS going to cram some sponges in there at one time, but decided i better not.. So.. it is okay to do that?? Any kind of filter sponges, right?? What about the ones that i use over my intake filter inside??? Cuz i have a lot of those.....

please make me uderstand the necessity for all this sponges!!! I know itz a good thing, but explain....???

Thank You So Much, Steve!!

Marie!
Sponges in a box filter do two things, they catch large particles and they can host a colony of bacteria.

Any type is fine.

Sponge filters are cheap, effective, easy to clean if you have fry they won't get sucked into the filter and if there is a power outage you can run them on a battery operated pump.

cowboy steve
09-21-2005, 10:13 AM
Okay, Steven....

I swear I am going to be as good as you! So, bear with me....you have MY filter on your 10gal tank?? *******...

So...if you were me....i should put my peguin 150, on my 10gal tank, and get what for this 30??

Hopefully you will answer me before i head to petsmart today!! like around 9am Cali time...whatcha think??

Steve, and do i need another air pump?? for the spongefilter i am gonna buy??

oh..and what kind of sponges to buy?? for the little chamber in my penguin??? please tell me i can use some fluval sponges that i use over my intake...have oodles....

and....... dayum, i was gonna ask you something important.....oh yeah, thank you so much for incl that picture of that sponge filter! Very helpful, Steve!! Tell me, and no chuckling, when i connect that to the air pump, am i going to have like bubbles flowing up??? cuz i have lots of bubbles right now....okay...

wake up!!!! hell, you are three hours ahead of me yes????

I hope you are not sick of me bugging you cuz....

Marie!!

There are times when I have to step away from my computer, that whole work thing, it really cuts into my forum time.

You can leave the Penguin on there, and pick up an Aquaclear (110) or even the largest Penguin(350).

The biggest models cost only slightly more than the smaller ones, and you can fit more stuff in the bigger chambers.

Fluval sponges are fine, I buy the biggest ones and cut them to whatever size I need.

The sponge filters do produce some bubbles, but they are larger than the ones you would see from a bubble wand or airstone, they do not do much for oxygen exchange.

Kindredspirit
09-21-2005, 10:34 AM
Thanks Steve!!!!

traco
09-21-2005, 11:22 AM
Good morning. Boy, you get up early :) I didn't know what size Penguin you had on your tank. Your small one would be tiny to fit sponges in there. You can cut your fluval sponges to fit. I have also use the sheets of filter stuff and stack them into the Penguin.

An intank sponge like the hydros are good for filtration and if the power goes out, they won't have as much die off as say a canister filter. I started with a canister filter and ended up getting the Penguin cuz of that factor. I think stacking the hydro sponges in the tank you are going to need a good pump to allow for lots of air supply (someone correct me if I'm wrong?)

When you go all sponges, you don't rinse every one each time you do a water change. Alternate rinsing. You rinse your pre filter every day as this is the one who catches all the crud floating around in your water. Then this stuff doesn't get into the penguin which also helps keep it cleaner longer. I only squeeze my sponges a couple, three times when cleaning them.

If you have no inhabitants in your 10 gallon, just keep the penguin running on your 30 gallon and do a switchover if you get any new fish and are QT'ing. It won't hurt to have it plus another filter running your 30 gallon. Someone told me that when looking at the size they say a filter is going to handle, that it is half.

If you going to buy a in tank sponge, you could use your air pump you already have if money is tight (been there :p ).

Have fun shopping!

Barb

Kindredspirit
09-21-2005, 11:33 AM
Hey Woman!!

Yep, i do get up early here! Guess what, Barb, i think i am going to go this morning and get a 50gal tank..cant be much bigger than a 30gal, right?? Please dont answer that!!

Then i have to set it up, cycle it...omg...BUT, i can put the little ones in there and buy all 'growed' up ones, yes??? With color??? Not every one buys babies , right?? or do they?? If i put the four , 4mo old ones in the 50 gal, i can PLANT, the 30 gal, and get what two fully grown discus for that one??? *******..i am going to be living on this site, i can feel it!

50 gal tank barb: I am going to pets mart, in one hour....please tell me what size filter you would use..and what else i need....

I so can not believe i am doing this!!

Marie!!

Hey, Barb, we should talk at Yahoo...do you have??? I am going to have oodles of questions....with this new tank....

I am dreamxcatcher2 at yahoo or aol!!

traco
09-21-2005, 12:19 PM
Yay, I wish I had your phone number to call ya. I love shopping! I know the biggest Aqua Clear says it can handle tanks up to 110 gallons? You will really enjoy your 50 gallon and so will your fish. Did you get a tape measure out to see if it would fit where you'd like to place it? I did that before I purchased my 90; placed books etc... to give a visual of what it would like. Do you have a stand for the 50 gallon? The 50 gallon is 12" longer than your 30. What size watts is your heater you have right now? If you end up running both tanks, you'll need another heater anyways. I believe its 4 watts per gallon for figuring out heaters and tank size. I had a Ebo 250 watt which was okay till I had to up the temp when I treated with hex and it was on constantly. I ordered another Ebo, same wattage, and it didn't help get the temp up so I put it in my other tank and put the smaller 100 watt into the 90 and go figure, it works better than that second Ebo!

I got the Penguin 350 which says:

(cut and paste here) The Penguin 350B Bio-Wheel Power Filter provides superior biological filtration for freshwater or marine aquariums. The Bio-Wheel is the ideal culture site for the growth of beneficial bacteria. This filter requires no pumps, valves or tubing and will the Bio-Wheel will never clog or need replacing. The Penguin provides 3 stage filtration: Stage one-mechanical filtration-the filter cartridge filters dirt and debris. Stage 2-chemical filtration-Black Diamond Carbon removes odors and discoloration. Stage 3-Biological filtration-Bio-Wheel eliminates ammonia and nitrite and is the ideal place for the growth of beneficial bacteria. Also features: larger Bio-Wheel, filter cartridge, noise reducing cover and adjustable mid-level intake. Filters 330 gph and is good for tanks up to 70 gallons in size.

I like it due to the fact that if the power goes out (which it does here, that's why I got rid of my canister filter), then the Penguin will self-prime itself when starting back up again. The Aqua Clears may need priming so if you're not at home when it happens, you could burn the motor out in the Aqua Clear. I think you can get a extended intake to put on the Aqua. Everyone has their favourite and it was hard for me when I was trying to figure out which filter to go with. I guess it comes down to:

- the biggest you can afford
- which one will fit on your tank for space hanging off the back taking into account your lights, wall space, etc...

when I did my switchover from the 65 to 90, all I had to do was clean out the new tank with water and rinse. I put all new fresh water same temp as in the tank, added dechorinator, put in the heater, switched over my filtration and in went the fish. If your media is cycled, you shouldn't have any problem. It worked for me. I did go through a hazy water period which has now gone away. Due to a mini-cycle which happened as my filtration had to catch up with the bigger size.

I'm sure others will help with your new set up. I know that having the 10 discus really spreads around the aggression; no one fish is constantly picked on. So maybe 2 more babies will help that factor? Others can help you with that question too.

Buying bigger fish as adults is great as you see the full colors they have, etc... They are more expensive, though.

So, others will have help for you too. Have fun shopping! :D :D

Barb

I haven't a Yahoo account but I'm sure my son will have all the info on how to set up a Messenger. Same as MSN Message right?

* Oh, what kind of dogs do you have that are 150 lb? Bernase, Mastiffs ...?

KIWI13
09-21-2005, 12:22 PM
******* a 50 gallon :p :p :p :p

Brilliant stuff.

So finally you found the space and if you plan on living on here I suggest you drink alot of coffee and try and get some walks in the day too to stretch your legs and don't forget the water changes.

Next thing you'll be blaming us for stunted fishc cause you were too busy talkin on here to keep em clean :D

Ah Marie, its a pleasure having you on board and i am here to annoy you LOL...

Jas

P.S. i wasn't laughing BTW. I just smiled ( with you ofcourse :p )

JimmyL
09-21-2005, 02:34 PM
Let me join in and ask one or two dumb questions. What pre-caution we should take to keep the sponge bacterial colony alive in the hospital tank? Should we avoid using anti-biotic or dewormer? What type of Anti-biotic is safe for the Nitrobactors?
Jimmy

Kindredspirit
09-21-2005, 03:29 PM
Barb/Jason!!

Jason you are too funny, for real!! I adore you! Well, guys i just got back and i looked at the 50 gallon tank..omg! it is huge! Barb, you are right, i have to figure out where i want to put it..So much bigger than i thought...

But, i did by the PYTHON!! I hope i can get it to work properly...wasnt cheap...but if it doesnt fit my faucets, i can take it back...Okay, guys i bought, finally, the Penguin power sponge filter, it doesnt look like the one Steve showed me and i have seen here, but that was all they had, and when i want something i want it now...so...please tell me it is the same thing..

Hey, Jas, it has a Reverse Flow Power Head ( WHATEVER THAT MEANS) and, 'pumps prefiltered, freshly oxygenated water down the lift tube and up through the deepest layers of the gravel bed that i dont have!!! lol... PLUS, guys, get this... > it can be used ' to create unique waterfall effects'

how can you possibly ask for more??? omg...please tell me i bought the right thang!!! :confused:

Barb, i have a 200w heater in my 30gal, cuz the one it came with only went to like 83degrees...so i went to the best aquaurium place, ( not pets mart) and they said to get this one, as it goes to 100...Sooooooo long tho!

Hey, are my discus still considered babies??? Cary said they were 3 months, so by now they are 4....when are they not babies anymore??
Barb, i was thinking about that stand for the 50gal...i dont have one...so i have to figure that out too, yes?? ****-tums!!!! :p Hey, guys, i read to day, somewhere on here, that you should buy all your discus at one time...why is that?? always??

Jason, remember that last time you were laughing at me, about those dayum tetras i couldnt catch??? well, today i bought the net from HELL...Hella big...there will be no escaping me tonight!!

Barb, thanks for all that info you typed for me, woman!! I must give that 50 gal tank more thought, cuz i want it right here in my office, and that would me i would have to move out my very large tv...good Lawd....cant do that! I work at home during the day, and at night and weekends i work with SED teens...So....

Jason i will find the picture i want to send you for downloading... thank you so much!!!

Barb, i shall give you my number, cell to cell itz free! and i will get you the link to Yahoo...lotz of fun!!

Thanks You Two!!

Marie in Cali :angel:

tpl*co
09-21-2005, 03:50 PM
Steve/Barb~

Marie!

OK, just skimming the responses to the posts so I don't know if this was answered for the sponge on the intake :). The sponge on the intake does something else than just a sponge filter. It keeps all the big gunk from going into the filter so it stays cleaner longer. It is a lot easier to rinse out the sponge pre-filter than tearing down or cleaning many bigger filters (I have them on my canister filter intakes). The intake sponge can be rinsed in tap if you are just using it as a trap or in tank water if you want to keep it as a biological filter too.

traco
09-21-2005, 03:50 PM
I got my stand from Big Al's online. Black and was around $175.00 Cdn. which was cheaper than what the local stores had. I was worried what it would like buying sight unseen but it looks fine in my TV room. Do you have a low filing cabinet or something that can the weight of a 50 gallon that you can use for a stand?

I know the work at home thing. I do the same thing and ended up setting up a fish tank in the office. I spend my time between the office and the kitchen so have the best of both worlds! :D Of course, I don't have discus in the office tank; too small so have guppies, platies, shrimp, snails. It's own little ecosystem with plants, gravel and fish!

You will have to see how much current comes out of your sponge filter as I think discus don't like to be pushed around with high current. The reverse flow powerhead is for undergravel filters.

Buying all at once is what I did and didn't have to quarantine as they all went into the tank. Any new ones you get would have to be quarantined cuz you don't want to introduce disease to your existing fish.

Barb

cowboy steve
09-21-2005, 03:58 PM
Barb/Jason!!

Jason you are too funny, for real!! I adore you! Well, guys i just got back and i looked at the 50 gallon tank..omg! it is huge! Barb, you are right, i have to figure out where i want to put it..So much bigger than i thought...

But, i did by the PYTHON!! I hope i can get it to work properly...wasnt cheap...but if it doesnt fit my faucets, i can take it back...Okay, guys i bought, finally, the Penguin power sponge filter, it doesnt look like the one Steve showed me and i have seen here, but that was all they had, and when i want something i want it now...so...please tell me it is the same thing..

Hey, Jas, it has a Reverse Flow Power Head ( WHATEVER THAT MEANS) and, 'pumps prefiltered, freshly oxygenated water down the lift tube and up through the deepest layers of the gravel bed that i dont have!!! lol... PLUS, guys, get this... > it can be used ' to create unique waterfall effects'

how can you possibly ask for more??? omg...please tell me i bought the right thang!!! :confused:

Barb, i have a 200w heater in my 30gal, cuz the one it came with only went to like 83degrees...so i went to the best aquaurium place, ( not pets mart) and they said to get this one, as it goes to 100...Sooooooo long tho!

Hey, are my discus still considered babies??? Cary said they were 3 months, so by now they are 4....when are they not babies anymore??
Barb, i was thinking about that stand for the 50gal...i dont have one...so i have to figure that out too, yes?? ****-tums!!!! :p Hey, guys, i read to day, somewhere on here, that you should buy all your discus at one time...why is that?? always??

Jason, remember that last time you were laughing at me, about those dayum tetras i couldnt catch??? well, today i bought the net from HELL...Hella big...there will be no escaping me tonight!!

Barb, thanks for all that info you typed for me, woman!! I must give that 50 gal tank more thought, cuz i want it right here in my office, and that would me i would have to move out my very large tv...good Lawd....cant do that! I work at home during the day, and at night and weekends i work with SED teens...So....

Jason i will find the picture i want to send you for downloading... thank you so much!!!

Barb, i shall give you my number, cell to cell itz free! and i will get you the link to Yahoo...lotz of fun!!

Thanks You Two!!

Marie in Cali :angel:

Wrong filter.

That's for an undergravel filter system.

The Python should fit your faucet, I think they have adaptors.

Then 50 is as long as the 30, it's just wider.

Measure out 48x18x20, that's a 75.

If you are stuck at three feet, a 65 gallon is three feet long.

Kindredspirit
09-21-2005, 03:58 PM
Barb, it says that this sponge filter is for inside the tank , but not under the gravel....

sooooooooo???

I have my 10gal on a filing cab...but a 50gal filled, will be sooooo heavy....i would have to buy a stand...i saw tank and stand today, for 259- i think....

go to yahoo messenger.com....

Marie@!

Kindredspirit
09-21-2005, 04:10 PM
Steve....okay.. you are right! but you knew that.... it is the wrong one...please send me a link where i can get the one you showed me?? I so do not have the time to go and search all over town!!

thanks...

and....FYI..my 30gal tank is a Hex shape....tall as opposed to long....they seem to love it tho...

Thanks...

ps : the python does have some adapters in the packaging...

cowboy steve
09-21-2005, 04:16 PM
Let me join in and ask one or two dumb questions. What pre-caution we should take to keep the sponge bacterial colony alive in the hospital tank? Should we avoid using anti-biotic or dewormer? What type of Anti-biotic is safe for the Nitrobactors?
Jimmy

Hospital tanks are tough, very labor intensive.

Whatever you use you need to monitor your nitrites if you lose bio-capacity you'll have to make it up with water changes.

Specifically, I don't know what antibiotics are better or worse, I would take it for granted that you'll have some die-off, and plan accordingly.

cowboy steve
09-21-2005, 04:29 PM
Steve....okay.. you are right! but you knew that.... it is the wrong one...please send me a link where i can get the one you showed me?? I so do not have the time to go and search all over town!!

thanks...

and....FYI..my 30gal tank is a Hex shape....tall as opposed to long....they seem to love it tho...

Thanks...

ps : the python does have some adapters in the packaging...

Here's a link for mail order, I don't know what is in your area for fish stores.

If there is a smaller, non-chain store near you, call them they may have something similar.

Don't bother asking the zombies at Petco or Petsmart.

http://www.jehmco.com/PRODUCTS_/FILTRATION/Hydro-Sponge_Filters/hydro-sponge_filters.html

Bookmark that site, Jehmco, they have everything.

traco
09-21-2005, 05:27 PM
www.bigalsonline.com is another good site.

KIWI13
09-21-2005, 05:44 PM
Well most bacteria get destroyed with antibiotics. hense when treating in hospital tanks you neednt keep em running all of the time. Keep em empty and when you need one , then fill it up and use a mature sponge from your existing filter to kick off a bio filter. Keep in mind that many meds will destroy the bio filter. That is a reason you do not feed alot when treating with meds, to keep the waste down, in order to keep the ammonia down too.

HTH

Oh marie I think your gonna really have a ball gettin this up and running an dyour fish are still young, 4 months are young fish for sure and they need to do alot of growing...

Jas ;)

discus2010
09-21-2005, 06:28 PM
hello since htis the topic of stupid questions

Does anyone know where i can get nice healthy good quality discus for an unexpensive price on the internet since i am waiting for my discus to arrive from somethingphishy.com but have no idea if they can be trusted i heard jason got them from
cary???

Kindredspirit
09-21-2005, 07:25 PM
somethingphishy??? now ... doesnt that name tell you something?? They dont even have a phone for God's sake!! I have never purchased anything from them, thank goodness i never got that far!! I mean WHO does that?? Have no way to call them??? And their reason was pretty lame too! I went with Cary, from GLD....and there are soooo many others....but not that one!!

juss my feelings on them!!

Marie!

discus2010
09-21-2005, 09:10 PM
i know i kind of got over exagerated pictures and kinda already did and now im kind of beating my self up so im hoping from the best im not very informed on the discus topics i no more about other types of fish which i dont need to buy online

Where can i reach cary from GLD

traco
09-21-2005, 09:34 PM
There is a breeder section on this site.

cowboy steve
09-22-2005, 12:30 AM
hello since htis the topic of stupid questions

Does anyone know where i can get nice healthy good quality discus for an unexpensive price on the internet since i am waiting for my discus to arrive from somethingphishy.com but have no idea if they can be trusted i heard jason got them from
cary???

Cancel the order.

They have a horrible reputation.

That is not a stupid question, it is the most important question you need to ask.

I have not purchased from them, but from what I hear from those who have is not good.

I'm sure you've noticed that their ads pop up all over the internet, but never here, or on any Discus site.

Check out the breeders section here or the Buyer feedback on D.A.A.H.

I've heard nothing but good things about Cary.

Check out this guy.Nice guy, great Discus, he swept the A.C.A's this year.

Discus Hans (http://members.chello.nl/h.discus/index.htm)

discus2010
09-22-2005, 07:01 PM
Thank you guys so much you guys have been a huge help thanks so much!

I have another question

I am planning to get a new 55 gallon which will be my biggest tank i have only got 2 twenty gallons one with a discus and some neons but anyway i wanted to know

What would be the supplies list so i can see to a gerneral price range like what the best filter model would be for the fifty five
i will be keeping it bare bottom for a while and then make it a bio tape. thanks for any replies

cowboy steve
09-22-2005, 11:01 PM
Thank you guys so much you guys have been a huge help thanks so much!

I have another question

I am planning to get a new 55 gallon which will be my biggest tank i have only got 2 twenty gallons one with a discus and some neons but anyway i wanted to know

What would be the supplies list so i can see to a gerneral price range like what the best filter model would be for the fifty five
i will be keeping it bare bottom for a while and then make it a bio tape. thanks for any replies

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=28937

Carol_Roberts
09-23-2005, 05:18 PM
Yes, go to the link listed above . . .

Here is how I grow out juvenile discus

Equipment
55 gallon bare bottom tank.
Aqua clear 500 (two internal sponges - one prefilter sponge on the intake)
250 Watt heater and thermometer. Temp 84 degrees
Siphon hose to clean tank
Water storage container (pump and hose optional)

Discus
6 - 10 healthy juvenile discus from a reputable breeder

Care
50% daily water change with aged (dechlorinated, warmed, aerated) tap water.
Wipe down inside of tank with paper towels at least every week.
Rinse prefilter daily, sponges and internal filter once a month.

Food
Feed juveniles 4 - 6 times per day. (Quality flakes and bits, black worms, beefheart) Don't overfeed.

Grow out the juveniles in this tank with no additions. You will have to remove some discus as they grow. These can be sold to other hobbiests or the local fish store. A 55 gallon tank will hold 5 or 6 fully grown discus.

Later, when you get other tanks, especially large show tanks, remember . . . Quarantine all new fish and plants 4 - 6 weeks before adding to your existing stock

cowboy steve
09-25-2005, 08:28 PM
Yes, go to the link listed above . . .

Here is how I grow out juvenile discus

Equipment
55 gallon bare bottom tank.
Aqua clear 500 (two internal sponges - one prefilter sponge on the intake)
250 Watt heater and thermometer. Temp 84 degrees
Siphon hose to clean tank
Water storage container (pump and hose optional)

Discus
6 - 10 healthy juvenile discus from a reputable breeder

Care
50% daily water change with aged (dechlorinated, warmed, aerated) tap water.
Wipe down inside of tank with paper towels at least every week.
Rinse prefilter daily, sponges and internal filter once a month.

Food
Feed juveniles 4 - 6 times per day. (Quality flakes and bits, black worms, beefheart) Don't overfeed.

Grow out the juveniles in this tank with no additions. You will have to remove some discus as they grow. These can be sold to other hobbiests or the local fish store. A 55 gallon tank will hold 5 or 6 fully grown discus.

Later, when you get other tanks, especially large show tanks, remember . . . Quarantine all new fish and plants 4 - 6 weeks before adding to your existing stock

I used the link as a lure to read the rest of the section.

Start with the stickies, work your way through, this site is like a referance book with 24/7 access to the author.