PDA

View Full Version : Forgot something.....

Kindredspirit
09-20-2005, 07:36 PM
When are discus no longer 'babies'.. mine are 4 four months old...is that considered really young?? When are they adults??

Thanks!

Marie!

traco
09-20-2005, 10:37 PM
I wonder that also. Do they go ..... babies, kids, teenagers, young adult .... Mine are around 7 months old and they are definately taking on teenager traits. Pet store here had two 18 month old discus and I thought they were big but they get bigger. Good thing they aren't an active fish (unless you spook them after lights out and they shoot across the tank). When the cats come up to the tank, the fish remind me of when we used to play freeze tag as kids. They all slowly float over to the corner where the cat is sort of nose down, and stay motionless watching the cat. I get a kick out of that.

I'll be interested to see what the age/size is to when they become adults.

Barb

Kindredspirit
09-22-2005, 03:17 AM
Barb~

So yours are 7months? How big is that?? Must be huge, woman! I got that Python yesterday and used it last night....So much easier...Lots of hose to deal with tho!

We have a Great Dane, and two Newfoundlands and one Siberian Husky....they are all very cool! I hope to post some pictures soon!

Marie!

markwill
09-22-2005, 08:47 AM
Barb~

I got that Python yesterday and used it last night....So much easier...Lots of hose to deal with tho!
Marie!
Marie,

I have a Python competitor (can't recall the name but essentially a big long tube with a special device to attach to the tap). After a month or two of rolling up 75' of tubing after each water change, I bought one of those "hose roller" thingies that rewind the tube back (about $20).

Saves me a bunch of time and makes water changes a lot more enjoyable -unroll the tube to the tank, syphon water out, switch the "tap end" to the pump in my aged water tank, pump it in and then just rewind the tube.

Mark

Kindredspirit
09-22-2005, 10:24 AM
Mark!! :angel: :angel:

That is sooooo funny you mentioned that, cuz last night i was trippin on that exact same thing...way toooooo much hose!! *******!! There was times that i thought, 'okay, Marie, there are only 4 buckets to haul, might be quicker and less hassle than this f....... hose......but that is really 8 buckets...to drain and fill.. i only have a 30 gal tank ...and a 10...

it was pretty simple to use as well....but what you suggested sounds great, Mark... i have like 50 feet of hose i think...still tho...

can you show me a picture of what you are talking about?? i have one outside, is that what you mean?

Thanks!

marie

markwill
09-22-2005, 11:18 AM
can you show me a picture of what you are talking about?? i have one outside, is that what you mean?

Hi Marie,

It's LIKE the following (although I didn't pay remotely close to this price):

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=2-1/qid=1127402276/ref=sr_2_1/602-4653722-5007023?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=B0000BYEMD

Water changes are almost a joy now :-) Almost...

Mark

Carol_Roberts
09-22-2005, 05:08 PM
I coil my python hoses up and store them in a kichen sized garbage can or on top of the water storage barrels.

markwill
09-22-2005, 05:39 PM
I coil my python hoses up and store them in a kichen sized garbage can or on top of the water storage barrels.
I used to do that but it became a pain to coil up 75' of hose when finished, especially when they are filled with water. Now I just turn a handle :-)

Mark

Kindredspirit
09-22-2005, 08:53 PM
Mark/Carol!

Thank you both! Mark, i shall have to purchase one sooner or later....thank you!!!

marie!

ppv1951
09-29-2005, 12:52 PM
garden depts. have a hose HOLDER you can buy, it's more of a hose hanger. you throw loops around it, over the top. a 3' loop is actually about 7' of hose. makes short work of all that line. faster and easier than rolling it up on a smaller reel. about $4 at target or home depot. i have just a piece of ordinary 1" pipe about 7' high, sticking out from the trellis in my garden. i loop 50' of garden hose over it in seconds.

pat.

Kindredspirit
09-30-2005, 08:37 AM
[IMG]http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb008_ZS' http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_35_1.gif[IMG]

Thanks Pat!! I need that info!

Marie

sidra
10-25-2005, 05:44 PM
LOL. Marie, that's too funny....I can't tell you how many times I've tripped over the hose on the stairway while doing water changes.

I too got sick of carting buckets up and down my stairs to my upstairs tanks. So I bought one of those Lee's water changers with a 50' hose (like the python).
Then I got sick of draining and re-coiling the hose and wiping up the drips off my wood floors AND changing the hose (when the babies were babies I didn't want to use cleaning tools in the baby tank that I used in the adult tank).
So I went back to the buckets (I think you burn more calories carrying buckets of water up and down stairs than you do carrying a little hose). Now my cat misses the hose because he liked chasing the water through the clear hose up the stairs when I first turned it on. Soon I'm moving and plan to have all discus in one big tank and on the same floor as the faucets...perhaps then I'll go back to the hose. LOL

Kristen

Mughal
10-25-2005, 06:37 PM
You know that old bucket you used to do WC with? That's what I use to coil my python around, it works ok for me, I think I'll get one of those garden hose coilers, it would be much cooler.

Dangit~so many things to save my pennies for!:o

Kindredspirit
10-26-2005, 09:49 AM
Kristen~

You have stairs? Bummer! I think i have that dayum hose down to an art now~ The open and close valve was F* making me mad! I couldnt remember which way was open and closed!! :mad: But I have it now~ Tell me....if you have more than one tank, then you need a Python for each tank?????? That is hella dumb and No No No!! lol.....

Mughal, i had heard that the hose thingys work great!!

Will it ever end?? im thinking No....lol

Happy Halloween, Guys!

Marie!

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_1_228.gif

Audrey
10-26-2005, 01:04 PM
I, too, for years was tripping over excess Python hose!!! Hated it! But it was necessary because my tanks were scattered all over the house, far from the sink, etc..

But now that I finally have all my tanks in my fish room, which is a pretty small room, I was able to cut my Python in half. I save so much time not having to deal with all that excess hose! I love it now.

Audrey