PDA

View Full Version : Vacation Plan

doublefake
09-21-2005, 01:47 AM
Hi, I have 6 2~2.5 inch discus in a 20 gal tank. I will take a vacation of 7 days next week. I am planning using a autofeeder to feed them Omega one flake food twice a day (feeding small amount that they could consume in two minutes). Does this plan work? Or should I stop feeding them during the vacation? The tank has a whisper 40~60 filter, usually I used the minimum water flow, should I use stronger water flow?
And currently I heavily feed them with BH, should I stop feeding them BH days before the vacation?

tlum
09-21-2005, 11:00 AM
I think you need a bigger tank. A 20 gal tank is way too small for for 6 2~2.5 inch discus. If you do large water change every day, it should still be marginally acceptable. But not away for 7 days. If you can find a 55 gallon for these 6 fish, 7-day vacation should not be a problem.

Terry

doublefake
09-21-2005, 12:06 PM
I have another 55 gal planted tank. But I just added a driftwood into it, and it is still coloring the water. Do you think I should take the driftwood out?
Thanks.

Carol_Roberts
09-21-2005, 04:43 PM
Are they eating flake now? IF not get them used to it now. I would discontinue the beefheart a couple of days before you go. I would not feed beefheart ever in a graveled tank. I don't know if the water quality would be better in the planted tank - the gravel could be full of gunk. 20 gallon is pretty small for a week without water changes . . . .

doublefake
09-21-2005, 06:00 PM
I am using sand as substitute so there should be less gunk accumulated. Although my discus prefer BH, they do eat flake food if there is no choice.
I would move them to my planted 55 gal tank before leaving, though I had planned to move them into this permanent place later.
I had feed them 2~3 times BH a day in the BB tank, should I reduce the time of feeding BH to once a day? I can vacuum the bottom of the tank every day or other day.

Carol_Roberts
09-22-2005, 05:13 PM
Sand clings to the uneaten beefheat making it very hard to vacume out of the tank.

doublefake
09-23-2005, 12:49 AM
Have not tried it yet. I have kuhlii loaches in the tank, hopefully they could eat up the leftover foods.

gators111
09-26-2005, 04:15 PM
IMHO, move them to the 55 tank as long as the water is stable and cycled, you should be fine. Discus love the tannins leaching into the water from driftwood, it subdues the light and it is what they have evolved in over thousands of years, thus making them more comfortable. Plus, the plants will help reduce the nitrate build up over next week. If you can move them, do so soon, so they can get comfortable in their new home and you can address any problems ASAP.

ppv1951
09-29-2005, 12:13 PM
i would move them too. soon as possible. and, reduce the BH before you go. try to get them used to the conditions they'll have while you're gone.

pat.

doublefake
09-29-2005, 05:57 PM
Thank, guys. They are now living happily in the planted tank.
My driftwood is floating and coloring so that I would like to soak it in the 20 Gal tank until it sinks.
I have another question, I am dosing the planted tank with Seachem flourish previouly. I am dosing under the recommend amount. Is it saft to the small discus?

Andrew Soh
09-29-2005, 07:54 PM
Hi,

Dont feed your discus during your vacation. Have the last feed 2 days before vacation and on the eve, make 100% water change.

Don't adjust the temperature too high. Maintain at 27C (86F ?).

No autofeeder.

Don't transfer or handle your discus within 10 days prior to vacation. Injuries inflicted during handling may result in infection and will show symptom 5 to 8 days later. So, if handling is done 10 days before, you can look out for problem and solve it before you leave.

Take care,
Andrew

doublefake
10-05-2005, 06:33 PM
Hi, thanks everyone here. My fish is totally fine in the planted tank when I returned back after a week. However, the driftwood is still floating in the 20 gal tank and coloring the water, I think I would better move it to the discus tank later.

Jeckel
10-06-2005, 04:43 PM
To get the driftwood waterlogged so it will sink, you can put it in boiling water or soak it in hot water from the faucet.