PDA

View Full Version : Famous Discus Breader and "Dealers"

Audrey
09-23-2005, 01:16 PM
Can I discuss this topic here if I don't name people?

If not, can someone who knows something about big name breader "dealers" email me, I have some ?s on this subject!

THANKS!!!
Audrey

billeagan
09-23-2005, 02:18 PM
I don't know why you couldn't and even name names...

YOu have Stendker for Europe and Wayne NG for Asians - at least thats what jumps out in my mind..

there are a ton of great Asian breeders though.

Audrey
09-23-2005, 02:27 PM
My main question is yesterday while surfing around Discus Hans website (Stendker?) I found 4 places very near to me that are listed as dealers of his fish!!!!

I guess I want to ask someone is this really legit?!! Seems to good to be true, so I called one of them, and they say it is for real. It is a fish shop, not that far from me. The fish basically cost double what they would directly from the website, but of course I do not have to pay any shipping, and best part is I can pick the cream of the crop the day the new arrivals come (if I put money down first they said).

I am THRILLED about learning this, but also skeptical.

Does anyone have any experience with a breeder's "dealer"?

Giniel
09-23-2005, 03:43 PM
Hi if you go to DAAH you can PM him personally and he will tell you if it is one of his distibutors. That is what I did. Pet Boutique in Dallas area is one of his distributors.
Hope that helps
Debbie

Audrey
09-23-2005, 03:47 PM
Thanks, Debbie. I would have to get an account at DAAH first I think. I see on the list Pet Boutique in Dallas, too. I am looking at that same list which shows 4 dealers near me in Minnesota! :D

Did you purchase some discus from there? Are you happy with the quality of them?

Thanks!

Greg Richardson
09-23-2005, 07:45 PM
If you decide to get some make sure you get in WRITING not verbal that if you don't like what you see when shipment comes in you get your money back.

Giniel
09-24-2005, 01:37 PM
Hi Audrey, yes I bought 3 of them from pet boutique. I am very happy with them even though I lost one with in a week due to the others picking on it. I could have gotten them cheaper through Hans himself but did not want to wait onshipping.I will try to get some pictures and post one for you . They eat very well and are very active. He does have distributors in a lot of places. Easiest way to find out is to ask a lot of questions about Hans and his discus.If they can answer then chances are they do get fish from him.
Pet boutique only gets discus from him and no one else.
HTH
Debbie

Giniel
09-24-2005, 02:05 PM
here are some pics of my blue diamonds from Hans.

Giniel
09-24-2005, 02:08 PM
another, I had to put them in my grow out tank when I got them they were about 2" and are now almost 3 1/2" to 4". Their eyes are normally red but they change to black when chasing other fish for some reason, then change back to red.
Debbie

ecrew
09-25-2005, 09:10 AM
Audrey,

I've bought some of Han's fish from Azalea Aquariums in Richmond, VA. We've had good success. The only problem is they charge way too much money!!!

We decided to order some from a different breeder. You can PM me on the details if you want.

Liz

Cosmo
09-25-2005, 12:44 PM
Check out the Breeder section, you'll find some of the best breeders available there :)

Jim

ppv1951
09-25-2005, 05:00 PM
anyone can become a distributor for hans. and, his distributors are listed on his site. if they are asking twice what hans is, why not just get them from him? if you bought 5-6 pieces, that would make up for the shipping. keep in mind hans' prices are more than what the distributors pay HIM. normal mark-up on everything is around 100%, which would be around hans' site price. so, they are asking 400% mark-up over their cost??? they are counting on you not wanting to wait or pay for the shipping.

there are lots of places to get fish. i don't know of any in MN tho. so, you would probly have to order them. try cary strong at great lakes discus, jack and willie at discus_kc, cincinnatidiscus, or rockymountaindiscus.com. all top quality breeders. and, there are probly places in your area that sell discus. ask around the LFS's.

as mentioned, you might try some of the hobby breeders here and DAAH (reg is easy). you might also try the MN aquarium society.

good luck!

pat.

cowboy steve
09-25-2005, 08:46 PM
anyone can become a distributor for hans. and, his distributors are listed on his site. if they are asking twice what hans is, why not just get them from him? if you bought 5-6 pieces, that would make up for the shipping. keep in mind hans' prices are more than what the distributors pay HIM. normal mark-up on everything is around 100%, which would be around hans' site price. so, they are asking 400% mark-up over their cost??? they are counting on you not wanting to wait or pay for the shipping.

there are lots of places to get fish. i don't know of any in MN tho. so, you would probly have to order them. try cary strong at great lakes discus, jack and willie at discus_kc, cincinnatidiscus, or rockymountaindiscus.com. all top quality breeders. and, there are probly places in your area that sell discus. ask around the LFS's.

as mentioned, you might try some of the hobby breeders here and DAAH (reg is easy). you might also try the MN aquarium society.

good luck!

pat.

Excellent point about buying direct.

I am buying from Hans directly, he suggested I contact other people in my area and see if they would want to split an order, since it cost the same to ship a full box as one with 8 fish.

There is a section here devoted to finding other hobbyists in your state, or region, perhaps you should post something there and see what happens.

Audrey
09-26-2005, 01:20 PM
Thanks to all for your replies.

My thing is I can only buy 2 more discus to put in my 125-gal tank. I only want 11 fish max in there.

I don't mind paying a little more, because I will be saving about that much on shipping. I have my heart set on a Pearl PB and a Red Turq.

I have checked local sources already.

Audrey

Audrey
09-26-2005, 01:22 PM
If you decide to get some make sure you get in WRITING not verbal that if you don't like what you see when shipment comes in you get your money back.

Yes, I would definitely get that in writing!!

ppv1951
09-28-2005, 05:00 AM
again, you might contact the MN aquarium society. they may have someone in their club that keeps discus that's near you, or steer you to a shop that's not too far from you.

i also suggested you go to DAAH, and look in there. they have a section called "homes for networking", and there are 3-4 people in MN in there. one is a newbie wanting to buy fish.

you could also start a thread, here AND there, asking if there are people in MN that would like to split an order from hans with you.

pat.