PDA

View Full Version : How Much Is To Much Circulation?

Westie
09-25-2005, 01:24 AM
I'm setting up a 90 gallon show tank for Discus of course and I've got three powerheads pushing 160 gph. Do you think that will cause to much current for Discus? I've never had a problem with Discus and current in my other tanks before but, since I plan on purchasing a school of Discus(8-10) for my new set-up I want them to be as stress free as possible.

Cosmo
09-25-2005, 11:54 AM
Westie,

IT depends, but my guess is that yes it would be too much current. If you have the outputs pointing upwards to create surface aggitation and reduce the current you may be ok. If they're pushig full force into the tank, they probably won't be appreciated. I tried 2 on my 90 once and they definately were not appreciated regardless of how I positioned them. Depends also on what other filtration and outflows you'll be having.

Please don't tell us these powerheads are hooked up to an undergravel filter !

Jim

Jason
09-25-2005, 03:30 PM
I agree, shoot for the highest amount of turn-over you can achieve with as little current/disturbance as possible. as Jim wrote have the output face up, use spraybars, angle the output into corners etc. but I think 3 is going to be too much.

Willie
09-25-2005, 06:03 PM
Here's a picture of a 75 Gal with a powerhead shooting straight into the middle. What you don't see is another powerhead on the other side shooting straight into the middle. Both powerheads are set for maximum aeration. This setup is more than two years old. Obviously the discus are growing ok.

Willie

ppv1951
09-26-2005, 02:38 AM
doesn't seem to be bothering them one bit..... they're swimming right through it like it wasn't there. they don't seem to mind outside filters like the aquaclears, either..... often wondered myself how much is too much..... it rains alot in the amazon.....

pat.

Kindredspirit
09-26-2005, 03:20 PM
Okay, i think mine is too much... i juss bought a Magnum...for my 30 gal...along with my Penguin...per this site....lol...cuz ...well to clear up the tank, nothing else seemed to work.....

30gal
four discus...little ones...kinda
BB

so yesterday i bought the magnum and two Hydro sponges for inside, tank is much clear than this past week, not as much as everyone said , but definitely better....

AND... i have quite a circulation on top! sounds like a waterfall, when some evaporates....

what is a SPRAYBAR? and a picture would be nice....please?? Please tell me that will help....and all this 2" discus do not seem to mind the little 'ocean' on top! only me...

Marie!