PDA

View Full Version : Using worm feeder for frozen bloodworms

jay60622
09-26-2005, 10:54 PM
I had been feeding my discus with a small glass bowl set into the gravel, but I recently got younger discus and they are bullied now by a pair of rams. The rams keep all of the other fish from the bowl so the discus are not eating as much as I'd like.

Has anyone had luck with a regular Lee's worm feeder with Hikari bio-pure blood worms? Are the holes large enough for the discus to pull the worms through? I'm pretty sure the rams are only territorial because the bowl is like a pit. I doubt if they would bother the discus if the worm feeder was near the water surface.

-Jason

Dood Lee
09-27-2005, 01:35 AM
I use Lee's worm feeder (the large one) and the discus get food from it just fine. I also feed Hikari frozen bloodworms.

jay60622
09-28-2005, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the reply. I will get a worm feeder, then.

ppv1951
09-30-2005, 08:40 AM
you can get the feeders in different sizes. the fish will suck the worms out of the feeder.

ecrew
09-30-2005, 08:49 AM
Where do you get these feeders?

The problem i'm having is when I pour the bloodworms in the tank, they go all over the place. 99% of the time, the fish go around and eat them all, but some get stuck under driftwood and in plants etc... It seems to just create a mess especially if i'm feeding flakes.

Is there a flake feeder that would help keep the flakes from going all over the tank?

Thanks!

Dood Lee
09-30-2005, 04:03 PM
I got my worm feeder from BigAl's Online. The description says you can use it for feeding flakes with just the ring, but the description is wrong. This feeder is just one piece.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=28983;category_id=1775

If you have a local fish shop, they might be able to order it for you. I use the large one because it is large enough so that many discus can feed from one cone at the same time.

shalu
09-30-2005, 05:51 PM
I have bought two types. The small one has a cone detachable from the ring, the large one is one piece.

ppv1951
10-01-2005, 11:43 AM
you should be able to get one at any LFS, or pet shop that handles fish. you can also get them at the online fish places, but they're only a $2-3 item.

pat.

Dood Lee
10-01-2005, 01:48 PM
Definitely try to get them locally. Unless you buy a lot of supplies at an online vendor, spending $3 for the cone and $8 on shipping is a total waste.

ecrew
10-03-2005, 12:36 PM
Thanks, everyone!

After I posted, I went online looking for what you were describing. I found it and realized that we've used them in the past. Dumb me!!! :o

ShinShin
10-04-2005, 10:32 PM
The problem with one cone will be that eventually one discus will dominate it and chase the other away. At least that was my experience when I had a planted tank.