PDA

View Full Version : Lost the Manacapuru

quakana
09-28-2005, 07:32 PM
Just curious I just lost a 5-6 " discus after treating with Metro in a hospital tank. Now I notice my Blue Scribble looks exactly like Carol explains as Bloated with a pinch behind where he is bloated. He is swimming and eating fine, but gets chased by a bigger red turquise alot. I am going to treat with Epsom salts but if it does not work what may I do?

AADiscus
09-28-2005, 09:19 PM
What are u feeding?

I suggest "do big water changes and give them epsom salt", (like Carol would say, LOL). The epsom salt is 2 tbs per 10 gal. If you do a water change replace the salt you took out. I would also raise the temp a little bit. What temp are you running?

Let us know if them doesn't work.

Cosmo
09-28-2005, 11:21 PM
Just out of curiosity, have you wormed your fish lately? It's not uncommon for Discus to have tapeworms, and if they get going that can cause a bloat condition too. The big and frequent WC's are a must, and if it's just a blockage the epson salt should do the trick. If that doesn't clear him fairly quickly, you might want to consider treating with Prazi, and have some Kanamycin on hand in case of secondary infections..

Keep us posted

Jim

Barb Newell
09-29-2005, 12:53 AM
Angela, good suggestion.

but gets chased by a bigger red turquise alot

I'd stop the stress until you know what is going on. An eggcrate divider will help.

Barb

quakana
09-29-2005, 07:43 AM
Thanks all. I am feeding Freeze dried Bloodworms and Tetra color bits along with Bio blend for the neon tetras but the Discus do not eat the Bio Blend. I did the epsom salts last night and the "pinched" area looks better but is still there a little bit... I will monitor... Where can I find Prazi and Kanamycin? I can not seem to locate any locally. Maybe they go by different names in the store?? Any links for on line availability would be greatly appreciated

My water temp is a steady 84 degrees
Thanks again everyone

Green Country Discus
09-29-2005, 10:07 PM
Try pondrx.com for prazi. I would maintain 86 to 88 deg (84 is min) unless you are breeding. Good luck.

ppv1951
10-03-2005, 12:32 AM
good luck!