PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have mystery snails with discus????

nimo69
09-28-2005, 09:39 PM
:guitarist :whip: Hi everyone
What do you think about mystery snail ?? Does anyone have them or not ?? please give your thoughts ?? they do help clean up food but not sure if they do a job on algea >??? :)
Thank You

nimo69 :bandana: :alien: :)

DarkDiscus
09-29-2005, 08:16 AM
I never tried snails w/ discus.

In my experience with other cichlids, however, the cichlids eventually kill the snails. Even small, peaceful cichlids tend to pick at snails and eventually kill them.

I'm sure someone has had luck with snails and cichlids, however, and look forward to what they have to say.

John

Eddie
09-29-2005, 08:23 AM
Here's a good link on what you may be interested in. HTH

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=44008&highlight=snails

Spices
09-29-2005, 09:26 AM
Hi,

If you have planted tank and those mystery snails (like what I had a month ago), you'd have a disaster among the plants!! They love algae a lot and if your tank doesn't have enough of the "algae they like", you can forget about your plants because they nip those into shredded lettuce. I had some but gave them away because of the destruction they've did to the plants. :(

mench
09-29-2005, 10:10 AM
I tried snails once,got them from a great gal on this board...she sent me a bunch of different kinds...well as luck would have it they didn't last a week...for some reason they all went tits up..don't know why..she was going to send me more but I haven't taken her up on her kind offer,don't want to kill any more snails. For the week I had them they looked neet and my fish didn't seem to bother them.
I would be interested to see if other discus keepers have got snails and what thier water is like.

Mench

DarkDiscus
09-29-2005, 10:17 AM
Here's a question -

To those who have snails - can they scuff acryllic like plecos can?

John

KIWI13
09-29-2005, 10:41 AM
I have apple snails with my fish. They are real sturdy and strong. They do a great job cleaning up the beef heart but I feed em on pleco chips too, this balances out their diet.
Never had a problem with them but they do make a bit of a mess. Ofcourse all living creatures need to make some kind of mess now don't they ?? LOL

jas

holocron
09-29-2005, 10:46 AM
I have 5 nerite snails in my tank... they are doing an amazing job with the glass. Only downside are the eggs. Discus don't both mine.