PDA

View Full Version : Arrowana

BluePlanet
09-28-2005, 10:36 PM
Hi, Has anyone seemed any "Green Arrowanas" sold in U.S.A? Are they legal in U.S.market? How much do they worth? thx. plz email me at: wyw_us@yahoo.com

Elcid
09-28-2005, 11:17 PM
All Asian Arowanas are Illigal in the USA. Of course, you can buy them illigally and keep them illigally like many things! The fines are, I've heard, higher than if you were caught with drugs! I sometimes see Ads on Ebay ;) A green would be cheaper than 6 quality discus around $600. BTW, I don't have an illigal aro nor do I know anyone who does :angel:

Good Luck
Sandeep

ValorG
09-29-2005, 03:07 PM
i dont think they are elligal to have, just elligal to sell. anybody correct me if im wrong. I think that once its in your tank, you really cant get in trouble for it anymore.

discus4life
09-29-2005, 03:12 PM
its illegal to sell. to keep its ok, that is why when you goto chinatown in los angeles you always see them in a tank that states "not for sale" but we are chinese. if you know what i mean.

Bainbridge Mike
09-29-2005, 04:44 PM
Jeff Young and I have researched this, and are looking into ways to make it legal to own captive bred Asian Arowanas. Asian Arrowanas are listed as an endangered species pursuant to the United States Endangered Species Act (ESA). Under the current law, it is illegal even to possess an asian arrowana in the United States (unless you had the arowana at the time of adoption of the ESA in 1973, or you get special permission to exhibit the fish in a zoo or for use in certain scientific experiments). The list of "Prohibited Acts" with respect to endangered species is pretty much exhaustive:

SEC. 9.
(a) GENERAL.-
(1) Except as provided in sections 6(g)(2) and 10 of this Act, with respect to any endangered species of fish or wildlife listed pursuant to section 4 of this Act it is unlawful for any person subject to the jurisdiction of the United States to-
(A) import any such species into, or export any such species from the United States;
(B) take any such species within the United States or the territorial sea of the United States;
(C) take any such species upon the high seas;
(D) possess, sell, deliver, carry, transport, or ship, by any means whatsoever, any such species taken in violation of subparagraphs (B) and (C);
(E) deliver, receive, carry, transport, or ship in interstate or foreign commerce, by any means whatsoever and in the course of a commercial activity, any such species;
(F) sell or offer for sale in interstate or foreign commerce any such species; or
(G) violate any regulation pertaining to such species or to any threatened species of fish or wildlife listed pursuant to section 4 of this Act and promulgated by the Secretary pursuant to authority provided by this Act.

Section 9(a) of the ESA, codified at 16 U.S.C. § 1538(a).

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Be Good
Mike