PDA

View Full Version : What foods to feed red wigglers?

tag
09-30-2005, 09:48 AM
Can you tell me what food scraps or otherwise that you feed red wigglers for them to be as nutritious as they can be for the discus.

Thanks for any suggestion

Take care

Tina

DarkDiscus
09-30-2005, 10:53 AM
I feed mine lots and lots of veggie scraps. Often I will put cuttings, scraps and fragments of fresh vegetables in a bag and microwave them for a couple of minutes to soften them. When cool, I add them to the bin.

This summer I fed them lots of tomatoes from the garden. They do quite well.

I wager that you could add fish flakes and or pellets to the mix, but I'm not sure if that would help the nutritional value.

A fat, well fed worm is nutritious enough!

John

mench
09-30-2005, 10:59 AM
I feed mine all kinds of veggies,flake food,and I buy the cheapest dry dog food and them I smash it up to almost a powder and feed that..

Mench

Lynn
09-30-2005, 11:02 AM
bananas that are too ripe to eat--just slice in half lengthwise. in a few days you pick the peel up and scoop up tons of little worms without having to dig around

tag
09-30-2005, 03:48 PM
Great stuff...thanks!

I guess the worms would be nutritious all on their own. I was thinking of that saying...you are what you eat ;) .

I was thinking of veggies etc also so I'm at least on the right track.

Take care

Tina

ppv1951
10-01-2005, 11:58 AM
they'll eat ANYTHING!!!! dry baby cereal, any kitchen scraps (non-acid), sawdust, dry dog food, oats, shredded newspaper, cardboard, dried grass clippings, dried leaves, manure (not suggested). anything you would put in a compost pile, they will eat. remember, they're composters... the greatest recyclers! that tea, diluted 10-to-1 is the best houseplant fertilizer you can get. and, the castings, the best potting soil. worms is fun!

pat.