PDA

View Full Version : 12 day old Lep x YC fry markings.

kaceyo
09-30-2005, 07:49 PM
My lates batch of fry is doing great so far and I think it'll be very interesting to see how they turn out. The pure yellow spawns have about 20% fry with near 0 pepper and about the same % with quite a bit. But none had as much as some you see with patches of heavy peppering. You hear so much about these crosses having alot more pepper than the parent pigeon but ya never know.
All the yellow fry have a distinct dark area on their heads like little crowns. Is this peppering starting already? I don't remember seeing it on the other YC spawns but I mayhave missed it as they were my first spawns and I was worried about other things.
Thanx,

Kacey

Willie
09-30-2005, 08:53 PM
Peppering is always most pronounced in the forehead of pigeon types, where the nose would be. In young fish, the peppering is clustered together. As they get bigger, the dark pigement cells are naturally spread out. So the dark patch on the head is likely an indication of peppering.

Willie

kaceyo
09-30-2005, 10:30 PM
Hi Willie,
I think that may be what it is. It's just that it's in exactly the same spot on each fry and has well defined edges that makes me wonder if it isn't something else.
Thanx,

Kacey

Cosmo
10-01-2005, 08:09 AM
Hey Buddy,

Maybe you're on to a new strain... the Crown Discus ? Wouldn't that be cool :)

Congrats again dad, and let us know how they develop

Jim