PDA

View Full Version : Tank divider for breeding

markwill
10-01-2005, 11:07 PM
How effective can a tank divider be in isolating a breeding pair to the extent that they are "at ease" and undisturbed? I've had a pair lay eggs but they were pretty hassled by the other fish in the tank and end ate the eggs pretty quickly. So, I moved them to a 29 gallon tank on their own but, over the course of 3 weeks, never really got the stage where they looked like they could spawn again. So, I moved them back to my showtank again (which is where I really want them - the 29 gallon tank is in the garage and not particularly nice to look at). And within 1 hours they are "showing signs" again. Go figure...

My brother used to keep cichlids and, without a seperate tank, used a tank divider pretty successfully. Any thoughts on doing the same with my show tank (72 gallon bow)?

Thanks.

Mark

Carol_Roberts
10-01-2005, 11:16 PM
The problem with a divider is if you do get fry they can swim to the other side and be eaten. . . but give it a try

mench
10-02-2005, 10:57 AM
All depends what ya use for a divider...if ya use foam it is dense enough that the fry won't go between.You can also use plastic,cut some holes in it and cover the holes with plastic screen and use foam on the ends to hold it to the tank...lots of options

Mench

markwill
10-02-2005, 11:55 AM
Thanks. So, has anyone actually been successful in using a tank divider to breed?

Mark