PDA

View Full Version : new eggs

moik
10-03-2005, 05:37 PM
I have a young pair of brillant turquiose which laid eggs several times but now they pulled off a complete spawn with free swimmers now . but now I have a small batch of free swimmers of about 24. as of today I have a new batch of eggs. the previous free swimmers are only 7-8 days old from the piont of being laid. do I take the free swimmers out so they dont disrupt the new spawn or do I leave them in with the parents and new spawn.I would hate to disrupt the pair and possibly loose the 200 potential babies ( which are eggs now) I have talked to two friends in the fish world and they say the complete opposite. any help would be appreciated

Carol_Roberts
10-03-2005, 07:29 PM
The parents will eat the current fry to protect the eggs. Why don't you put the cone with eggs and and one parent in a different tank and let the other parent raise the fry you have now?

american breeder
10-03-2005, 07:48 PM
The parents will eat the current fry to protect the eggs. Why don't you put the cone with eggs and and one parent in a different tank and let the other parent raise the fry you have now?
BETTER YET..use a tank divider
seperate the cone from the parents and new freeswimmers...
then when batch u have seperated from parents gets ready to free swim
u can take divider down and if parents are good they raise everyone or even can add another breeder if the load seems to great..i doubt that will be the case though
Carol u see if u move one of the fish u will probably curtail their breeding cycle

maybe u only need a 100 fish so no biggy
but if u wanted many fish
u will not seperate the fish
thanks
M

moik
10-03-2005, 08:45 PM
so pretty much what you are saying either wean the babies with a tank divider or just leave everything alone. I was just ready to start feeding bbs or micro worms tomorrow or should I have started earlier with alternate foods.the free swimmers just started free swimming last thursday. my fellow fish freind said to seperate free swimmers and why I didnt start feeding bbs earlier. The eggs from batch one were laid last friday night (late in the night) am I thinking right or my freind is thinking to fast?

AADiscus
10-03-2005, 09:25 PM
Are your free swimmers hooking up to the parents?? If so, then I would move the cone with the eggs to another breeder tank and let the adoptive parents raise them. You could always wait until they hatch and see how many wigglers you have before you move them. Some Adults will take as adoptive parents some won't. But it is worth a shot. Then you can have your first and second batch.

american breeder
10-03-2005, 09:30 PM
Are your free swimmers hooking up to the parents?? If so, then I would move the cone with the eggs to another breeder tank and let the adoptive parents raise them. You could always wait until they hatch and see how many wigglers you have before you move them. Some Adults will take as adoptive parents some won't. But it is worth a shot. Then you can have your first and second batch.

this is good as well
see many solutions
except the seperating of the parents isnt cool..

yes u can move the cone to adaptive parents
we used browns in the old days

because new hybrid strains in some cases would not raise their young
and brown almost always do.no matter whos they are..

nurse fish is what we called them
Best regards
M

Green Country Discus
10-03-2005, 10:36 PM
Americn Breeder, What is your opinion on when the male abuses the female, after eggs are layed, or at anytime after during the rasing process as far as seperation goes?? I have experianced several occasions where the male is abusive.
A

american breeder
10-03-2005, 10:50 PM
Americn Breeder, What is your opinion on when the male abuses the female, after eggs are layed, or at anytime after during the rasing process as far as seperation goes?? I have experianced several occasions where the male is abusive.
A
yup those males can be a big bother
and do in some cases harm or even kill females and sub males as well

when i have abusive males
my solution is to place them with older females of a greater size

hehe

in most cases this pairing of older female with younger male can be a solution
in many cases though the male is frustrated because the female is not READY to spawn..so if anything ..make certain female is gravid with eggs
if she isnt get a female in there with him who is
he will calm down alright..
best regards
M

Rod
10-04-2005, 12:39 AM
Great answer Carol, exactly what i would do.

ppv1951
10-04-2005, 01:11 AM
good info here.

pat.