PDA

View Full Version : Egg removal for nonbreeder

PJs
10-06-2005, 07:57 AM
Hi - I'm afraid this may be a tabu subject here, but I always scour the internet first before writing and found no answer . After seeing/reading how much effort goes into raising these beautiful fish, I have to admit I am not willing to invest the time or money in raising them, and I much admire the efforts of you who do.

I actually just wanted some lovely discus that would get along well in my 55g community tank. The two juvies (4.5") I chose 8 days ago decided to pair off, and the male, already with slightly large eyes, hasn't eaten in 5 days since they lay eggs. He ate well at first (home) and was the dominant fish at the store. The female eats voraciously. She eats granules, neither will touch thawed beef heart mix or brine shrimp. I have divided the tank to minimize stress, all seems peaceful.

I would rather have 2 healthy adults than a stunted male and time-consuming babies. If I siphon out these babies and all that come after, will my fish hate me? Become ill? Neurotic?

Thank you.

Rod
10-06-2005, 04:07 PM
PJ, yes syphon out the eggs/babies. The parents may blame each other and fight a little afterwards but wil settle down soon enough.

AADiscus
10-06-2005, 04:12 PM
More than likely if they are in a community tank they will not survive anyway. Someone will eat the eggs/wigglers/babies. Normally they don't make it to wiggler stage in a community tank, not to say they won't though. But, if you don't want babies then do like PJs suggested and just siphon them up.

PJs
10-06-2005, 05:49 PM
Thank you. They're wiggling all right, and starting to float away from the root they are on, to the parents' consternation. I placed small saucers on the gravel under the root for when they would first bed down, to prevent collective death. Due to the divider keeping out the other fish, there is little water circulation in this area, so the babes would have a good chance. But Pop might not.

I will have to make this agonizing decision tonight. Mass murder is not my strong suit. :( Thanks for your input.

And cheers to all of you creating such beautiful fish! I love looking through all the photos and advice you supply (perhaps I might even be able to help others out once in awhile myself).