PDA

View Full Version : Tank divider

markwill
10-07-2005, 10:57 AM
I am looking into a tank divider as a way to isolate a potential breeding pair. Moving the pair to a seperate tank seems less attractive, in terms of stress to the fish (and how long it takes for them to settle in), the need to clean/feed in two tanks and the fact that two of my most beautiful fish are not in the show tank.

So, what should I consider in a tank divider? I'm thinking about a square of perspex held in place by four suction cups. But I've heard that the surrounding colors is important for the fry (they move towards darker colors). Should I simply get some white PVC? I'll want an adequate flow of water between the two sides (for heater and filtration reasons). But I also need to ensure that there are no holes small enough for the fry to swim across the divide.

Anyway, I'd appreciate thoughts on this.

Thanks.

Mark

KIWI13
10-07-2005, 11:20 AM
Mark I am using a pvc mesh with a pvc profile on either sides. i will have it set up this weekend, i'll post pics. It cost me 4 euros in total, thats like 6 dollars I think.

markwill
10-07-2005, 11:22 AM
Mark I am using a pvc mesh with a pvc profile on either sides. i will have it set up this weekend, i'll post pics. It cost me 4 euros in total, thats like 6 dollars I think.
Thank you. Excuse my ignorance, but what is a "pvc profile" (I'm not 100% sure what "pvc mesh" is either :-)).

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Thanks again.

Mark

KIWI13
10-07-2005, 11:37 AM
You know what ??? I'm gonna try and scan it cause I just bought it at lunch today and I'm at my computer at work.

KIWI13
10-07-2005, 11:45 AM
So heres what I do, I insert these in to the tank ( do not glue them) an dthen I slide the mesh which is firm enough to hold its shape into these two profiles.

I add one profile as a base too, so that I have it on all three sides of the tank. this holds the mesh in place and then I hold the ensemble with a couple of potted plants. I was using the mesh only before and my rams kept finding a way of pushing through ( the little rats)

I hope this helps you. I will post some more pics on monday promise :)

KIWI13
10-07-2005, 11:46 AM
heres another

hunboy
10-14-2005, 05:31 PM
You yanks....If only you had Blue Peter, you'd have no troubles.

What I do to seperate my 48" tank into 12" cubes is get a picture frame, cover it with a new pair of nylon stockings. (must be new as the missus won't appreciate me raiding her underwear again.....plus I don't want her thinking I'm into cross-dressing or something lol).

Fix a piece of any kind of non contaminating material across one edge of the frame, e.g if your tank/frame is 12" wide use 14" of material, rest this on the tank top, and viola, one instant partition, with no sticky back plastic or glue used ;)

The colour is NOT important, as long as your breeding pair ain't the same or similar colour. The fry can only home in on thier parents colours, so putting the same colour in, will only confuse them.

Willied

fishman
10-16-2005, 08:22 AM
willied, can you post a picture of that?