PDA

View Full Version : Help... BAGGING FISH - Can I get some suggestions/ideas please?

Barb Newell
10-07-2005, 11:54 PM
Ok, I need some help..... my fingers are raw and blistered from bagging fish...... is there an easier way? If yes, please explain with pics if possible.

I triple bag -- 3 mil bags (although I recently had a BAD box of bags, almost all leaked once filled with water -- what a nightmare!!!!!), so plan to get some 4 mils and 6 mils (thanks to Ryan).

I twist the top of each of three bags, twist, wrap the elastic through itself, around, then fold the top over, wrap the elastic around 2 - 3x.... over and over again for each bag, 2 - 3 elastics/ bag.

So, too many elastics for one fish or group of fish, is there an easier way of doing this?

Thanks,

Barb

Spices
10-08-2005, 12:34 AM
Hi Barb :wave:

I had my first experience with Drs. FosterSmith who delivered to me some eeeenie weeenie catfish some time back. And one thing I've noticed is that they used a strong (top of line) stapler to clip the heavy thick polybags. There were no water leakage...none whatsoever. You may be able to find such a stapler at a large business supply center by you. This will save your hard working fingers a bit.

loads of luck to ya, ;)
Angie

Barb Newell
10-08-2005, 02:06 AM
Thank you Angie, I do appreciate your input! I will definitely look into that.

Barb :)

Discusgeo2
10-08-2005, 04:56 AM
Barb No more sore fingers! This handy tool is fast and easy. Using extra heavy-duty rubber bands, this tool seals oxygen-filled bags in one quick motion. This is the one I use for my bags. You can get this tool at your local Farm Store. The Rubber Bands and Tool is use to castrate young bulls. When you squeeze the handle togethere the bands expand, release them and the band closes real tight. I twist the bags and put the band over it. Then I twist a little more and fold the end over and put another band over it. Be careful with this and don't get your finger caught in the rubber band it will cut off the blood flow like it is designed to do. It cost about $20.00 and the bands are about $5.00 Trust me you cannot put these Rubber bands on the bags without this tool. What makes this nice to use is I tell my customers that I need to see a picture of the dead fish in the bag before I refund any money. They cannot take the fish out of a bag and have it die later and put it back in the bag and send me a picture. They are going to have a tough time putting the rubber bands back on. Most people have to cut the bands off anyway to get the fish out.
George
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-1/7658/FBT_FBT1_rgb.jpg

Spices
10-08-2005, 05:20 AM
Talk about ball buster! LOL Wow, George, cool information there. I think this tool will work. I would never thought of it. And Barb if you decide to get it, just watch out for your fingers not getting caught while twisting the bag and double twisting it for a second installment. ;)

Rod
10-08-2005, 05:39 AM
While your waiting for your ball buster tool to arrive try some elastoplast bandages on your fingers. I have the same problem with the side of my right pointer finger and the bandaid helps a lot.

RandalB
10-08-2005, 09:07 AM
OUTCH! Dang it George! Had to bring that up didn't ya!

I've used plastic wire ties (Zip Ties) with great results....

RandalB

american breeder
10-08-2005, 11:58 AM
Ok, I need some help..... my fingers are raw and blistered from bagging fish...... is there an easier way? If yes, please explain with pics if possible.

I triple bag -- 3 mil bags (although I recently had a BAD box of bags, almost all leaked once filled with water -- what a nightmare!!!!!), so plan to get some 4 mils and 6 mils (thanks to Ryan).

I twist the top of each of three bags, twist, wrap the elastic through itself, around, then fold the top over, wrap the elastic around 2 - 3x.... over and over again for each bag, 2 - 3 elastics/ bag.

So, too many elastics for one fish or group of fish, is there an easier way of doing this?

Thanks,

Barb
certainly get a banding gun
M

Barb Newell
10-08-2005, 05:02 PM
Thanks all :)

George, that's quite the tool :) OUCH!!!! for the young bulls.

Rod, appreciate the suggestion. I did try that, I used waterproof white tape, it was great until the tape got it stuck in the elastics...

Randal, I'll give them a try.

M.... is a banding gun, the same as a castrating tool ? or is a banding gun something different all together?

Barb

ppv1951
10-08-2005, 05:25 PM
great idea george!

pat.

April
10-08-2005, 07:26 PM
that is a great idea. im sure the fish bags will appreciate it more than the young bulls. lol. Dont try this at home....
Barb..its part of the rights of being a shipper..to have worn out fingers....

Barb Newell
10-08-2005, 07:43 PM
April... I'm waiting for the callouses, then it won't hurt anymore lol

There's always more to learn in this hobby.

Barb

wolfbane
10-09-2005, 02:26 PM
Oh my Gosh! never thought of an elastrator as a bagging tool!! will wonders never cease. Just another type of "bag" I guess.

Barb Newell
10-09-2005, 04:34 PM
LOL

Just another type of "bag" I guess
Thats one way of looking at it.

Barb

Willie
10-09-2005, 04:45 PM
It hurts just thinking about it.

W :p

Discusgeo2
10-09-2005, 09:39 PM
Barb not sure if you got my pm, I sent it just before Simply went down for upgrades. But I do put 1 normal Rubber Band on the first bag. Bard told me when she put a lot of pressure on the bag the bands she got would roll up. I did try it her way and the bands did roll up. I wasn't aware of this but I don't ship alot of fish so my boxes are not as tightly pack compared to how much pressure I had to squeeze them. Beside that I haven't had any problems with fish dying in my shipments because of water leaking out of the bag.

Barb Newell
10-10-2005, 12:28 AM
:confused: Hi George, I did not get your PM, can you re-send it please?

I have experimented with this tool, I think it will work. One elastic band on the first bag is a good idea, or I tried putting two of the tiny elastic bands from the 'tool' on the twist of 3 -- 3mil bags (together) and they secured it nicely. To stop the twisting/loosening/losing bag pressure from outside pressure, I put one of those 'pull-tie things' (I don't know the name of them... slip them through and they lock into place) under the elastics at the base of the twist... voila!!!! it does not loosen at all when a LOT of pressure is applied, and there are absolutely no air leaks. We threw it around the kitchen, kicked it, stepped on it..... leak free, held the air pressure.

Thanks George, amazing idea and I think it works well, please re-send the PM.

Now.... I have a request to ship to Hong Kong....:confused: know anything about that lol

Barb :)