PDA

View Full Version : Planaria: Tiny White Worms

JMArtist
10-08-2005, 08:03 AM
For the first time ever, I experienced the sight of seeing Planaria (Tiny White Worms) wiggling in my 20 gallon Angel Fish Tank. Naturally I freaked out, not knowing exactly what it was.

I researched here and online to find out. The problem has been taken care of now, but I thought that I would share some info on it that I found online.

I do remember seeing someone here ask the question on what these tiny white worms were.

Planaria are flatworms, related to flukes and tapeworms. They are quite small, and if examined closely have eyespots as well as protrusions from the sides of their heads.

The Real Problem
Even though Planaria do not harm fish, they are an indicator that the aquarium has a problem. They require a food source, which means there must be excess food wastes in the tank to support them.

If you have Planaria it's time to give your aquarium a thorough cleaning.

Pay particular attention to the substrate, as that's usually where they find their food. Make sure there are no dead plants, or other wastes in the tank.

You should also take a hard look at how much you are feeding your fish. Usually the excess waste the Planaria are living on is the result of overfeeding your fish. Reduce the amount you feed your fish, as well as the frequency of feedings.

Finally, once you've cleaned things up, be sure to continue with regular maintenance and water changes. A clean tank is the best defense against becoming overrun with Planaria.

Now, the only thing that don't make sense is that I had the tank for over 4 yrs now and that I gravel vac this tank once a week also. I don't think I overfeed the fish at all. I was wondering, could they infest and feed off the drift wood in the tank and go unnoticed that way???
Any thoughts on that any one?
And since Planaria are related to fluke, would Fluke Tads work on them?

I did in fact take the wood out and boiled it, luckily this piece of wood is small enough to fit into a large pot...good thing know one came home to see me doing this..they might have though it was dinner.....

Cosmo
10-08-2005, 10:51 AM
I've been told a couple things that might be of interest;

1 - the planaria you see are but a minute fraction of those in the tank, filters, etc. In the water column the tend to stretch out and become virtually invisible.

2- Formalin will put them into shock and they curl up and become visible, and, also makes them let go of whatever they are holding onto.

Formalin bath followed by a MAJOR WC will get rid of most if not all of them.

Haven't tried it, but have heard this from an unimpeachable source :)

Jim

susankay1
10-09-2005, 12:13 AM
Yep, thats the way to get rid of the little buggers

rayw
10-11-2005, 01:45 AM
Where does Planaria come from? The Air? Food? Discus themselves?

ppv1951
10-11-2005, 07:58 AM
they're in the water. planaria are used in lab experiments for high school kids. you can cut them up and they regenerate. they're harmless, but the best way to get rid of them is wipe down the glass, do major water changes, and feed less.

pat.

JMArtist
10-11-2005, 08:24 AM
they're in the water. planaria are used in lab experiments for high school kids. you can cut them up and they regenerate. they're harmless, but the best way to get rid of them is wipe down the glass, do major water changes, and feed less.

pat.

Now that's where I heard of them, Hight School!
Been a long time since then.
Now I did clean the tank out completely, including the filter.
It's been a few days and I haven't seen any more.
If I do, I think I try the Formalin to completely eradicate them.
But I'm not to keen on using meds if I don't have to.
The Angelfish look bright eyes and bushy tailed.
Thanks every one for the extra info.
I'm still curious about if they can live with in the drift wood some how, in a tank that's not over fed and cleaned regularly?